Does Taiwan make you turn gray?

I’m gettin old. My temples are starting to show gray hair. :noway:
I’ve been here just over two years. No gray hair before Taiwan, not one!
I teach for a senior high school and I have many students aged as young as 15 years old with many gray hair. More than a few students I taught actually are graying like the average mid-forties back home.
People seem to turn gray fast here. Even foreigners it seems. If you’ve been here for more than three years, I bet your showing.
What’s with that? Short of any influences on foreigners, what’s with the 16 years old with gray hair?

It’s genetics. It also runs in my family. I’ve noticed that I’ve been getting some gray hair myself. Well, not exactly gray, they’re more like white hair. And I’m still in my early 20s. But that happened before I came back to Taiwan so it’s not a Taiwanese thing. I don’t think. I was really stressed out over school and work. And like I said, it runs in my maternal family. I’ve got some cousins who started having white or white-ish hair as young as 15. It’s genetics. Can’t be the water, can it?

Think of it this way. Better your hair turning gray than loosing your hair. At least gray can be colored.

[quote=“hatch”]I’m gettin old. My temples are starting to show gray hair. :noway:
[/quote]

Aging increases your likelihood of grey hairs too, just so’s you know. :wink:
Or you’re extremely intelligent.

I heard (I don’t know if there is scientific proof?) that stress can cause one to have more grey/white hair. The really smart kids in school always had a few visible white hairs. I chalked it up to them studying all the time and stressing out over exams, etc. Is there any correlation or is this just bs?

Anyone can prove this?

Grey hairs on a guy is cool, shows your mature and junk…chicks dig it…oh yeah!

[quote=“914”]Aging increases your likelihood of grey hairs too, just so’s you know. :wink:
Or you’re extremely intelligent.

I heard (I don’t know if there is scientific proof?) that stress can cause one to have more grey/white hair. The really smart kids in school always had a few visible white hairs. I chalked it up to them studying all the time and stressing out over exams, etc. Is there any correlation or is this just bs? Anyone can prove this?[/quote]

Well, now that you mention it, the primary distinguishing feature of follicular melanogenesis, compared to the continuous melanogenesis in the epidermis, is the tight coupling of hair follicle melanogenesis to the hair growth cycle. This cycle appears to involve periods of melanocyte proliferation (during early anagen), maturation (mid to late anagen) and melanocyte death via apoptosis (during early catagen). Thus, each hair cycle is associated with the reconstruction of an intact hair follicle pigmentary unit… at least for the first 10 cycles or so. Thereafter, gray and white hairs appear, suggesting an age-related, genetically regulated exhaustion of the pigmentary potential of each individual hair follicle.

Just kidding. :laughing: The above quote is from an abstract I found on Medline:

Tobin DJ, Paus R. Graying: gerontobiology of the hair follicle pigmentary unit. Exp Gerontol 2001;36:29-54. Erratum in: Exp Gerontol 2001;36:591-2.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer … s=11162910

I don’t think stress has been linked to graying hair through scientific studies. Here’s a more mainstream article on graying hair:
intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WS … dmtContent

sometimes when I masterbate too much I get grey hairs, but none on my head…maybe that doesn’t help you…nevermind.

[quote=“hatch”]I’m gettin old. My temples are starting to show gray hair. :noway:
I teach for a senior high school and I have many students aged as young as 15 years old with many gray hair. More than a few students I taught actually are graying like the average mid-forties back home.
People seem to turn gray fast here. Even foreigners it seems. If you’ve been here for more than three years, I bet your showing.
What’s with that? Short of any influences on foreigners, what’s with the 16 years old with gray hair?[/quote]

Yup. Proud to be greying since 16…er, not really. Yes, it’s stress. There was a recent article about it, I think either on MSNBC.com or NYTimes.com but I can’t locate it. It’s also appears to be genetic as families members often grey together. I’ve never had people say bad stuff about it and a good number of women think it’s actually sexy on me :smiley:

Baldnes otoh… :noway:

I have mixed feelings about the strands of silver that are increasingly visible in my not-yet-thinning-or-receding thatch. On the one hand, I recoil at any sign of the advancing years, but on the other hand, they do add a quite aesthetically pleasing natural highlight, and it makes me feel a lot better that there are plenty of teens and younger showing more loss of colour than I do.

It must have something to do with living in Taiwan, because I haven’t lived anywhere else in the last nineteen years. :wink:

If you think you have a few silver threads amongst the gold now wait till you have a few kids :frowning:

So true, at least for me. I love a man with salt and pepper hair…So grrrrrr sexy

Men with a bit of grey at their temples look really good. It adds wisdom, intelligence, and sexiness to the man. Look at Jon Stewart.

I’m sure there are women who disagree, but in my experience this really does seem to be the consensus.

Question: Do any of the men here use grey hair dye to sprinkle a little wisdom and sexiness on their temples? Plenty use hair dye the other way in an effort to look better, so why not right? I wonder how common this is…

I’m sure there are women who disagree, but in my experience this really does seem to be the consensus.
[/quote]

I guess I’d be a woman who disagrees. There’s nothing sexier than a head of thick, longish, jet black hair. Grey hair does nothing for me…except remind me of Grandpa.

[/quote]

I guess I’d be a woman who disagrees. There’s nothing sexier than a head of thick, longish, jet black hair. Grey hair does nothing for me…except remind me of Grandpa.[/quote]

I’m going on 45, with natural black thick, longish jet black hair…

My wife chose this pic for you Erhu, but it’s when I was 43…

Satellite TV, I did not realize you were such an ugly girl.

grayson hey? :smiley:

[quote=“914”]Aging increases your likelihood of grey hairs too, just so’s you know.
Or you’re extremely intelligent. [/quote]

Extremely brilliant. Enlightening. Get it right. :snooty:

No…that helps…

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”]Yup. Proud to be greying since 16…er, not really. Yes, it’s stress.[/quote] On a more serious note, I agree with you. The cause for stress is something interesting. In your case as for many Taiwanese, I think you keep too much inside not to loose or make loose face. A lot is repressed and kept inside in this culture and it causes stress on the body that reveals itself through that sexy gray hair of yours. Once a foreigner adapt to the local customs, he is subject to the same kind of stress. Of course the whole education system isn’t easy on kids here too but I’m not convinced it’s a dominant factor.

[quote]So true, at least for me. I love a man with salt and pepper hair…So grrrrrr sexy
[/quote]

Now that’s what I needed to hear. releived sigh…

Edit: Yellow Cartman, I realize that I’m assuming a lot on your part so take it as a wild guess cause it is.

Taiwan makes
me
turn gray anyways.
A couple months ago my wife got sick and we needed to go to the hospital at like 3 am. My bike was parked in the basement on B-2 and we only just moved here. As we were exiting, the garage door was slid down and we could not get out. After 20 minutes looking for the security guard to open the door(he was on a security round check around the building…)we finally got out and we had to signal him when we got back a couple hours later for him to open the door again. I felt it was a security issue so I purchased a remote control for the garage door for 400nt. In the following 6 weeks two things happened. First the security guard left and never came back and the door was rammed by a drunk driver and they replaced the door. When I tried my new 400nt remote control, it no longer worked on the new door. I simply went to the new security guard and asked him to replace my remote control. He said that he had no proof that I paid for my remote because he never took my money(he’s new). He said I could have a new one for the price of 400nt but that they would reimburse me my 400 when I leave if I returned the remote control. I asked again to exchange the remotes but he still refused unless I paid 400nt. So I said fine I’m leaving, can I have my 400 back for my remote. He paid me! Then I said I changed my mind, I need to buy one of them new remotes. He sold it to me with the money he gave me. But it was not an exchange???

A particularly fine example of face-saving at work. :slight_smile:

Brian

I’m thinking maybe there is no correlations here with Taiwan. I’m sure I could remember some pretty stories from home too. But goodness, what is that word they teach you to repeat in anger management class. “Goushna” or something like that. :loco:

Goooosfrabah!