Does the company you work for pay for your work permit?

Does the company you work for pay for your work permit?

Um… yes… are there seriously companies who don’t?

Sorry, I forget. There are some companies who delight in taking far too much advantage of their employees.

1 Like

I’m not sure this will answer your question satisfactorily, but here are a few threads in which that kind of thing is discussed:

1 Like

Isn’t the fee like, well, couple thousand and you only renew it once every few years ?

When I was getting renewable work permits (for working in a cram school), they were for a duration of one year or thereabouts, but here’s a 2014 post by someone who appeared to say he expected to get a three-year work permit:

Here’s a 2002 post by someone saying he got a two-year work permit:

Here’s a 2008 post by someone who said he had a three-year work permit:

A little incidental word of caution about the matter in the third quoted post (the 2008 post); I’m under the impression that joining the National Health Insurance program is mandatory for foreign workers (as to other people, I don’t know):

https://www.nhi.gov.tw/english/Content_List.aspx?n=C88B41A4EAB5E692&topn=778856C209BCE527

Iirc, the length of a work permit for a foreign profession can be up to 3 years, though it would not be longer than your contract.

if you mean the fee for documents you need to provide to your company, i think it depends.

1 Like

Thank you all for your opinions.

@tando They paid for it previously (the 500 fee). However, I am not sure if they will do it again.

Its “their” permit, so they should pay for it. :2cents:

Correct. Despite what the Labor Standards Act says, if your contract is indefinite or for longer than three years, the law automatically reduces it to three years (as the Supreme Court has decided at least twice).

Employment Service Act Art. 52 Par. 1 & 2:

Edit: I need to check the details, but it’s not mandatory for all foreign workers.

Is this correct? I was under the impression it is not mandatory(and in fact you cannot join) if you are on a jfrv and leave the country frequently. Was it perhaps so that I need to stay 183days before I can apply.

Either way, I don’t have it as there was some reason why I dont need to get it.

yes.

First job didn’t (and I had to go to the NIA myself to apply for my ARC whenever it needed renewing), second job did (and they went to the NIA on my behalf), and third didn’t (and I had to go to the NIA myself again).

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.