Does the Country really exist?

This looks like countryspeak to me.

1 Like

Political climate of the time can result in a country not being acknowledged as a country by most nations.

For example, at first PRC wasn’t recognized by most nations around the world. There were less than 57 formal diplomatic relations between the PRC and other nations before 1970. That doesn’t mean the PRC didn’t exist as a country for 20 years before they were admitted into UN and the Olympics.

I think we should define what criteria must a country have, then go through the list to see if Taiwan fulfills all of them.

Yeah! When did China become a country?

Photo of the Embassy of ROC in the Kingdom of Eswatini, proudly flying the Taiwanese Flag

2 Likes

According to Article 1 of the Montevideo Convention on the Rights and Duties of States, a state should possess four qualifications: a permanent population; a defined territory; government; and the capacity to enter relations with other states.

In order for a geographical region to be considered an independent country, it must first meet all of the following criteria: has space that has internationally recognized boundaries; has people who live there on an ongoing basis; has economic activity, an organized economy, and regulates its own foreign and domestic trade and prints money; has the power of social engineering (like education); has its own transportation system for moving people and goods; has a government that provides public services and police power; has sovereignty from other countries; and has external recognition.

8 posts were split to a new topic: Passport Security Discussion

Whether you like the UN or no, this is the only official stand of the world:

(It’s not my opinion it’s what the world runs on. You may not like it and want to change it - so go talk to your country’s leaders to you know, actually do something about it officially).

Countries in the World:

There are 195 countries in the world today. This total comprises 193 countries that are member states of the United Nations and 2 countries that are non-member observer states: the Holy See and the State of Palestine .

Not in the list

Not included in this total count of 195 countries are:

• Taiwan - the United Nations considers it represented by the People’s Republic of China
  • The Cook Islands and Niue , both states in free association with New Zealand which are members of several UN specialized agencies and have been recognized “full treaty-making capacity”, but are neither member states nor non-member observer states.
  • Dependencies (or dependent territories, dependent areas, dependencies) and Areas of Special Sovereignty (autonomous territories)
  • Other countries recognized by the United Nations as not being self-governing

Apparently, countries didn’t exist before 1945…

7 Likes

The European Union, in the principal statement of its Badinter Committee,[13] follows the Montevideo Convention in its definition of a state: by having a territory, a population, and a political authority. The committee also found that the existence of states was a question of fact, while the recognition by other states was purely declaratory and not a determinative factor of statehood.[14]

Sure. The EU falls in line for official business.

Relations between the EU and Taiwan are complicated by the fact that all EU member states recognize the People’s Republic of China (PRC) as the sole sovereign state under the name ‘China’.

Back in 2001, the EU Commission referred Taiwan as a “separate customs territory, but not as a sovereign state”,

The United Nations is not an authority on who is or is not a country. It is a club membership.

This would make Switzerland not a country in 2001 or before and means that there were no countries before 1945.

Their opinions and conflicts of interest do not supersede the objective reality on the ground.

It is a conflict of interest for China to veto Taiwan’s inclusion in the UN’s space for multilateralism.

This is a conflict of interest.

Nothing changed but a stroke of a pen in 1971. Taiwan one of the five founders of the UN. Pens don’t erase people, cultures, militaries, police. None of what the UN did changed or erased anything. The objective truth is still here on the ground. Taiwan is a country. It’s official name is the Republic of China.

1 Like

Do chickens exist?

2 Likes

Based on the UN argument and the results at this link, no
https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/blog/tag/chickens/

Wait! He can’t get into Taiwan Province of the People’s Republic of China! The Communist Party sanctioned him and the UniTEd NaTiONs said so and they’d never lie…unless they’re taking the rest of us for a ride and Taiwan is indeed a country.

1 Like

My cousins visited Taiwan in 2018. I had to go through several frantic phone calls where they tried to tell me that the Chinese Embassy in the US had told them they had to have proof of where they were staying in China, including Taiwan. I finally convinced them they didn’t, but I don’t think they really believed me- they kept trying to spend their renminbi here, and got upset when people wouldn’t take it- “It’s China money, right?”

1 Like

Its called being a pussy with no dignity or standards in your profession. There s a LOT of that going.around now.

Like the saying goes, you know who your true friends are when youre at your lowest. Lets use morals for that saying and see who stands up. A dire picture to be sure :frowning:

1 Like

Are they daft?

Step one, go to taiwans embassy (or as the cowards call it, trade office)

Step 2, use taiwan dollars in taiwan.

They are lucky they didnt go somewhere dangerous haha. That type of stellar planning has theft, rape and kidnapping written all over it.

This semantics arguments seems incredibly unproductive to me. Taiwan is a country in almost all practical ways, and is not an independent country in most international organizations’ views, as demanded by diplomacy and China.

4 Likes

Truth is what corresponds with reality. A tree fell in the forest whether anyone sees it or recognizes the falling of the tree. It either did or did not.

Taiwan functions as a country in every sense of the definition. Taiwan operates as a country. Taiwanese live in a country they call Taiwan. All branches of the government work as a country does. Almost every single country treats Taiwan as a country without saying it. Even China treats Taiwan as a country, just without saying it. Good luck trying to board a domestic flight going from China to Taiwan.

6 Likes

Hey! I wouldn’t say daft- they are my cousins, after all. Let’s leave it at “not too bright.”
And not too cosmopolitan. I had to take them to McDonald’s in Taipei to avoid all that weird foreign food.