Does the Country really exist?

I would say that’s blackballed him from China, but I think he’s already in the CCP’s bad books because of World War Z. It’s been a while since I’ve read it, but didn’t it tear China a new arsehole by having them cover up the zombie apocalypse?

And here’s a picture of Chinese Taipei of that country you claim exists:

Wonder why this isn’t the national flag? Hmmm.

Sorry to burst your bubble but facts are well written down. The world recognizes one China policy ( whether you like it or not) and hence officially doesn’t recognizes Taiwan. As a matter of fact, even Taiwan recognizes one China policy officially, depending on what they mean by that China. Unless that changes, Taiwan isn’t a country.

China certainly makes demands that other countries and businesses stop referring to Taiwan as a country. So, at the moment it’s pretty much you and the CCP holding the position that Taiwan isn’t a country. It remains standard to refer to Taiwan as a country, unless you want to update wiki.

2 Likes

No definition of what a country actually is even exists in international law.

Recognition as a de facto definition of “a country” is really just a manifestation of might-makes-right. It isn’t a principle of law.

2 Likes

Right. So the world works that way. If that’s how it is, is is right? The facts are those. We may want to change it and wish it were different, but wishes are not facts.

Really every system you see in the world today has been through the use of force. The almighty USA was established by force.

And yet here Taiwan is, functioning as a country in all important respects.

Whether it is “recognised” as such appears to be entirely beside the point.

2 Likes

Well, country means recognized by others. It can function as one so what?

But it helps, as was mentioned, that it is recognized as such by 15 countries. Also the passports, which countries turn away Taiwanese passports as not real passports?

If I were to accuse of you not being a human being on the basis that nobody has given you a certificate saying that you’re a human being, would that make sense to you?

Recognition matters in that it makes certain things easier - international trade, etc. In practice, many countries work around this problem with “informal” recognition. Singapore was a past master at playing this sort of game.

AFAIK none, or almost none, which is a typical example of ‘soft’ recognition that stops short of formal recognition.

3 Likes

Yes, and in answering the question, of whether Taiwan is a country :slight_smile:

Ofcourse you can work around it and we do. But all I’m saying is, it doesn’t change the fact that the world doesn’t accept it officially. So the simple answer to the Q is a “no”; long answer “maybe”; wishful answer “yes indeed it thinks so!”

And the most accurate answer being, “it depends”.

1 Like

I shall hereafter refer to you as Desi who may or may not be a real person, pending recognition proceedings by the ECHR.

2 Likes

who may or may not be in what may or may not be the capital of what may or may not be a country that may or may not really exist?

1 Like

Schrodinger got an entire planet to play with!

1 Like

You must be some special kind of !@#$, that is not the flag I posted. It is this one:

I don’t claim Taiwan exists, tell that to the 9.7M Hondurans that acknowledge its existence officially with both an embassy and a consulate in the territory of the Republic of Honduras (an official country too).

Your ARC says ROC (Taiwan), since you claim Taiwan is part of China, try going into China with that thing and let me know how it goes!

5 Likes

This is not the flag that is used. Russia is not using their flag for the olympics this year. Does that mean they lost country status?

it is clear as day what flag flies.

That’s not true by any stretch of the imagination. Objectively on the ground, it is a country.

Nope

Who decides those countries are countries?

1 Like

I wonder why this isn’t the national flag of Honduras too:

2 Likes