Does the government consider you a native English speaker?

3 posts were split to a new topic: Moderation issues

I know a teacher from Philipines who was born in Taiwan. He has a Taiwanese citizenship, and he’s teaching as a foreign teacher. He’s not “100%” native, but he’s doing just fine.

Since we speak English at home, I don’t care who the teacher is as long as he/she is competent and relevant.

I care more about if the teacher has patience and passion for teaching. As long as the teacher has sufficient proficiency to teach at a particular level, it doesn’t bother me much. I hope a teacher can inspire and initiate something for my kids. I try the same where I teach.

I realize I don’t necessarily speak for many typical families here, but being a native speaker isn’t the absolute deal breaker these days.

Sorry, I wasn’t meaning to target kabayan (or folks from Sri Lanka or India, for that matter), I consider them native speakers.
I was thinking more about people like Francophone Canadians, who can get visa’d and hired because of their passport, despite English being a second (sometimes distantly second) language.

Brother @Toe_Save is a lovely fellow, and can doubtless follow the play-by-play on La Soirée du hockey no problem, but you’d probably want to think twice before hiring him to teach your kids any French beyond the back of the Shreddies box, despite him being a bona fide Canooker.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: French grammar (from native speaker)

On topic, I once tried to apply for a teaching job and the wanker manager told me because my birthplace on my passport was Montreal, he couldn’t hire me due to gov regs. I told him that was wrong. I told him that I had an APRC. Yet he remained convinced that I couldn’t work legally in Taiwan. After a week of insisting that he was completely wrong, he finally figured out that he was and invited me for an interview. I go in and off the bat he tells me they pay 450 an hour and that there was no wriggle room. Shortest interview ever.

1 Like

Which means that you reject a clear presentation of the actual law, and several other confirmations, while having no evidence to the contrary. This must be an interesting group as well :smile:

When they couldn’t understand what they were saying.

The PIs were never on the “Big Seven” list

I consider myself as an English speaker…clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm09d4z65Bg