Does the WHO counts Taiwan's H1N1 cases as China's?

With all of the talk about President (or Chief Executive) Ma defending the sovereignty of the nation and how observer participation as Chinese Taipei was such an advance and there was no compromising of sovereignty of this nation, yadda yadda, it turns out that the WHO is lumping in Taiwan’s (oh, I mean Chinese Taipei or Taiwan, China) H1N1 cases with China’s. Caught this on one of the late night talk shows last night (not something I usually watch, but we are concerned about the explosion of local Taichung suspected cases because of a local vocational high school’s field trip to Japan) and verified it on the WHO website.

Comments?

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003444330

An article confirming this.

This is a sham designed by China and the KMT to fool Taiwanese about Taiwan’s real standing at the WHA. Shame on Ma and the KMT.

It happened with SARS too. Therefore, using your logic, it was purposely initiated by the DPP.

I think those Taiwanese that are unfortunate enough to contract flu caused by H1N1, and health professionals that need to deal with these cases, are probably very grateful for having easier access to WHO resources they didn’t have access to during SARS.

I doubt there are pan-Greens subborn enough to refuse treatment for H1N1 because it would support KMT initiatives and undermined Taiwanese freedom. If they did, then they’ve earned their Darwin Awards.

Difference is that the DPP wasn’t attending WHO meetings and asserting that such attendance did nothing to violate the sovereignty of the nation.

What WHO resources?

Medical treatment and services are being provided by TAIWANESE health professionals.

This is news to you? In case you don’t know, in the UN and other UN bodies, Taiwan is considered to be part of China. So of course Taiwan’s flu stat counted as China’s, as are Hong Kong and Macao’s. This is not something Ma agreed to or something the WHO only recently decided to do but has always been the case(same thing happened with SARS)

Obvsiouly the TI people want Taiwan to join as a normal country, but you know China would never allow it. There’s only so much China is willing to give on this issue.

This is news to you? In case you don’t know, in the UN and other UN bodies, Taiwan is considered to be part of China. So of course Taiwan’s flu stat counted as China’s, as are Hong Kong and Macao’s. This is not something Ma agreed to or something the WHO only recently decided to do but has always been the case(same thing happened with SARS)

Obvsiouly the TI people want Taiwan to join as a normal country, but you know China would never allow it. There’s only so much China is willing to give on this issue.[/quote]

It still shows that Ma’s promises that Taiwanese participation shows an upgrade of Taiwan’s international status.

Another difference: Macau and Hong Kong are both a part of China, Taiwan is not.