Does your pet have super powers?

I don’t mean balancing a biscuit on the end of its nose but real X-Men stuff here. My cat disappeared yesterday, presumably ran out when I opened the door to come up. Looked everywhere in the house she could possibly be, no sign of her, she could not be inside. Looked up and downstairs, she often runs to the flat downstairs of ours thinking is it is ours, she’s not very good with floors.
We put lost notices up in all the lifts and on noticeboards, it’s unlikely she would have made it out the building.
Today, still no sign, no miaoing to indicate she was stuck somewhere. Thinking someone must have taken her, she must be in the building but noone saw her :cry:

This afternoon came home, and there she was. The only explanation could be that she turned invisible for the day, or can walk through locked doors. She had a guilty expression so she must have done it on purpose.

Does your pet have any special powers ?

My (2-year-old) kitten managed to get into an empty bottom cabinet in my kitchen and close both doors before I found her in there mewing.

They both know when I have cat food even when it’s in a can, in a plastic bag, and I am on the other side of one thick metal door and one thick glass and metal door. They go freaky on those days more than normal.

Totally X-Ray Vision.

You’re obviously a person of habit. Try getting a can back home in a sports bag at an unusual time and see if it still works…

Actually, i think the ability of some animals to travel prodigious distances and still navigate to the same small headland (albatross) or beach (green turtles) or stream (salmon even) after many years away, or annually cross the world (some terns, sandpipers, snipes, etc) is astounding too.

We humans think we can do a lot, but living your life without hands or even legs would be tough. Animals do it all the time.

Big Fluffy Mathew, I am glad your cat decided to “reappear”. What an awful scare.
However, on the topic of cats doing unreal things, oh boy, don’t get me started. I wish I could set up a camera to figure out how they manage to do what they do.
How do they bring down clothes that take me a large pole to put up to dry?
How can they tell between clean and dirty clothes and only take the clean ones to lie on?
Why do they wait until I make the bed to lie down and turn it upside again?
Why do they refuse to lie on the bed unless it is made and then they do as I said above?
How and why do they unplug lamps, TV, even the fridge?
These and other mysteries still remain unsolved.
However, one day I was very sick and stayed home from work, lying flat on my back in bed all day. This helped me notice my cats’ coordinated team work effort to open my sock drawer. It took them an hour and a half to get to the goodies. Which is why most cupboards, closet and drawers have child-proof latches now.

ImaniOU said:

Urodacus, I disagree with your statement that this is just a matter of habit. These guys KNOW what we’re up to. Stray Dog told me that he saw a study related to this topic: the pets could tell when the master was coming home, even if it was at different times. I would go a step further: they know your motivations. :saywhat:

My cats usually wait for me in the balcony overlooking my one-way street. They KNOW when I am just THINKING about taking them to the vet -even if it just for a bath. Then they are not waiting for me and they are nowhere to be found in the house. I’m telling you, I have to resort to put on my jammies and pretend to go to bed so they will come out and I can catch them. So if you see a crazy foreigner wearing pyjamas and clutching a pet carrier on the MRT, yep, it’s me. :loco:

And after speaking to IManIOU, i see she is not such a creature of habit. But i still don’t think the cat can sense the food by some kind of spooky X-ray vision (?), she just knows it’s time to go shopping, and there you are again, so you must have been shopping…

Well, if you liked that dog study, go and find Rupert Sheldrake’s book on the subject.

He is an out-there scientist on the lunatic fringe of research. I once thought some of his ideas were cool, but the more i looked, i just couldn’t believe in them.

Dogs and cats pick up all sorts of emotional cues from your facial expression and body language. It’s not supernatural, it just is the way they do things, and the way they communicate. We don’t do it that way, so to us, it’s ‘supernatural’. It’s not, it is perfectly natural. Still hard to understand, but not something ‘unreal’.

Next you’ll be telling me that the cat was once your neighbour’s aunt, and that she got on so well with you that when she died she chose to come back as the very cat that you were going to buy in the pet store…

[quote=“urodacus”]And after speaking to IManIOU, i see she is not such a creature of habit. But i still don’t think the cat can sense the food by some kind of spooky X-ray vision (?), she just knows it’s time to go shopping, and there you are again, so you must have been shopping…

Well, if you liked that dog study, go and find Rupert Sheldrake’s book on the subject.

He is an out-there scientist on the lunatic fringe of research. I once thought some of his ideas were cool, but the more i looked, i just couldn’t believe in them.

Dogs and cats pick up all sorts of emotional cues from your facial expression and body language. It’s not supernatural, it just is the way they do things, and the way they communicate. We don’t do it that way, so to us, it’s ‘supernatural’. It’s not, it is perfectly natural. Still hard to understand, but not something ‘unreal’.

Next you’ll be telling me that the cat was once your neighbour’s aunt, and that she got on so well with you that when she died she chose to come back as the very cat that you were going to buy in the pet store…[/quote]LOL. X-ray vision! You’re right, that is a funny image. In that case, I would blame their hearing the cans crashing against each other. LOL.

And I agree there must be a logical, scientific, rational explanation. However, I have’t found it yet and that does not help me when I have to take those little buggers to the doc. I just blame if on their being far more clever than I give them credit for.

Actually, two of my cats were strays roaming around the neighborhood. One day they saw this silly me who was already feeding and tending to the needs of a couple of their peers. They were smart enough to break through a window, and come in to eat and party with the others in my absence. This happened for many days, until one day they ate too much and couldn’t get out on time. I opened the door and let them out and all I got was protests from my current feline residents. Even so I repaired the window and left them out. So the next day, the invaders were waiting for me outside the door, as if saying “What took you so long?”. We reached a deal: I get the honor of taking care of them and they stay indoors.

Our cats can morph into strange shapes and can shrink their body mass in order to fit into weird little places where you’d never think to look for them, thus, in effect, vanishing. This is probably what BFM’s cat did. You didn’t look inside the electrical outlets, did you now? I bet it was in one of those the whole time.

I accidentally locked a cat in a bedroom for 50 hours, thought it was outside when I was heading away for a weekend. It didn’t even pee - just slept on the bed! This same cat followed somebody who was knocking on my front door (when I was away) and got stuck between the screen door and the front door for about 2 days! It was hanging off the mesh mewing pitifully when I got home. When I was a kid out cat mostly slept in the TV - one of those bulky B&W models with a lot of opennings in the back. Never got fried.

It was only one can this time because I was trying a new brand of food. And it wasn’t even just a plastic bag this last time, but a plastic bag (I told them I didn’t want it, but I will use it for other stuff anyways) with other stuff around it inside my black shoulder bag.

They also seem to know the words “out” and “kitchen” because they get out of my room (even when I’m not in it) when I say “out” and go to the kitchen when I say “kitchen” - all without pointing or changing my inflection.

I’d also argue that they don’t know the sound of a can well because I usually thump the can to get their attention and I can thump other things and get the same reaction. But they know when I have cat food when I am coming home, and no, I don’t buy food only when I am down to the last cans. For what it’s worth, they also can’t detect when I am bringing home fresh fish or chicken for them.

I learned something from urodacus last night, that my kitten - okay, I guess my female cat, is probably a hunter which explains her loving to play fetch and being extremely aggressive when playing (yesterday she got my knee and my wrist in two different play sessions with the 18-inch feather stick) and why she freaks out when she hears birds outside. I definitely will have to keep her indoors.

They are both pretty funny. Isalu will bite Mariposa to steal her spot next to me sometimes. Mariposa likes to take one paw and pull the food dish away from Isalu with her claws so she can get better access to the food.

I can totally relate to your situation Icon. My two cats are the same way. They are always reading my mind. It’s scary.
The one in particular knows when I’m going to leave, before I do any action that might tip him off, he just knows. It’s creepy, but cool.

My dog knows how to swim.

Butterfly stroke?

As a kid, we had two Siamese cats. You’ve all heard the stories about Siamese cats. Yes, they are just nuts.
When they’d fight, it was ninja cats. Once in a while we had to separate them.
The more dominant one would chase a neighbor’s Doberman off the yard. Owned. He’d also head into the basement often to ‘mau’. He would just bellow out weird maus. It sounded like he was serious pissed off.
Siamese are shrewd.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Our cats can morph into strange shapes and can shrink their body mass in order to fit into weird little places where you’d never think to look for them, thus, in effect, vanishing. This is probably what BFM’s cat did. You didn’t look inside the electrical outlets, did you now? I bet it was in one of those the whole time.[/quote]I’m thinking it was something like that. I noticed that a quilt that was previously on top of some closet thing was now on the floor. I had poked around up there to make sure she wasn’t there, I couldn’t climb up there for a proper look, and she didn’t complain like she usually does 5 minutes after I closed the door.

It was a scary day or two :cry:

One of my dogs knows when its coming on to 2:30 p.m. every Sunday. No matter what I am in the middle of doing, he starts to go a little crazy, running around, nudging me and I swear he tells the other dogs in the house what time it is, as well. Then they all start acting up. I am not a creature of habit so it isn’t as though I am doing anything in a routine way. BTW, Sunday at 3:00 is Dog Day at the park. How does he know this stuff? We don’t even go EVERY Sunday, just most.

Ah-Yong knows how to scale a fence. This fuckin hothead loves to climb a fence when he wants to get at something. He looks like a K-9 Spiderman. Spread eagle and step after step - ten feet plus. Plus, he hops medians like a show horse.

4 months and still learning about each other but this dog reminds me why I love the breed regardless of the annoyances.

[quote=“M0NSTER”]Ah-Yong knows how to scale a fence. This fuckin hothead loves to climb a fence when he wants to get at something. He looks like a K-9 Spiderman. Spread eagle and step after step - ten feet plus. Plus, he hops medians like a show horse.

4 months and still learning about each other but this dog reminds me why I love the breed regardless of the annoyances.[/quote]

Very cool. I’d love to see some video! What breed is he?

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]I don’t mean balancing a biscuit on the end of its nose but real X-Men stuff here. My cat disappeared yesterday, presumably ran out when I opened the door to come up. Looked everywhere in the house she could possibly be, no sign of her, she could not be inside. Looked up and downstairs, she often runs to the flat downstairs of ours thinking is it is ours, she’s not very good with floors.
We put lost notices up in all the lifts and on noticeboards, it’s unlikely she would have made it out the building.
Today, still no sign, no miaoing to indicate she was stuck somewhere. Thinking someone must have taken her, she must be in the building but noone saw her :cry:

This afternoon came home, and there she was. The only explanation could be that she turned invisible for the day, or can walk through locked doors. She had a guilty expression so she must have done it on purpose.

Does your pet have any special powers ?[/quote]

YES, I once saw my cat sit and stare at the bedroom door. IT was latched properly. And yet to my surprise the door opened completely on its own. And he simply walked into the room. I saw the whole thing and it freaked me out. ALL WINDOWS of the house were closed so there is no draft to account for this.