Does your school have you by the balls?

Hi everyone. I have my ARC, but I have come to realize that I hate my job here in Taiwan. I am ready for a change, but in doing so do I lose my ARC? Or is my ARC valid for one year no matter where I work or how many times I change jobs?? Please help me figure this one out! I would hate to quit and then have to make several painful trips to Hong Kong again … thanks

if U got your ARC througth your work permit from your school, than when U quit your job your work permit gets cancelled and your ARC would get revoked sometime later, I think 1-2 weeks.

Absolutely right. Jessiah, the only question is, would you be happier staying at a school/job you hate or would you be happier going to Hong Kong for one day and changing jobs? If you live in Taipei, the Hong Kong visa run is a piece of cake, if you remember to bring the correct paper work. :wink:

This may not address your question directly, but still might be useful.

I got my ARC through Company 1 initially. Then, I wanted to change companies. I did change companies. Company 2 issued a letter of employment for me. Basically, it was just a letter stating that I was employed there, inclusive dates of the contract, etc. I took Company 2’s letter to the Foreign Affairs Police office in Ximen area. They simply made a notation on the back of my ARC that my employer had changed and that was that! 10 minute deal and no fee (as I recall).

Hope that helps.

Seeker4

[quote=“seeker4”]This may not address your question directly, but still might be useful.

I got my ARC through Company 1 initially. Then, I wanted to change companies. I did change companies. Company 2 issued a letter of employment for me. Basically, it was just a letter stating that I was employed there, inclusive dates of the contract, etc. I took Company 2’s letter to the Foreign Affairs Police office in Ximen area. They simply made a notation on the back of my ARC that my employer had changed and that was that! 10 minute deal and no fee (as I recall).

Hope that helps.

Seeker4[/quote]

Thanks, seeker4. I forgot about this! :blush: The new laws state that you can add a second school to your ARC and then simply quit your first job. There was an excellent thread about this and how to do it. This means no visa run is necessary. :smiley:

Here’s the link: [Multiple schools on ARC?

[quote=“seeker4”]I got my ARC through Company 1 initially. Then, I wanted to change companies. I did change companies. Company 2 issued a letter of employment for me. Basically, it was just a letter stating that I was employed there, inclusive dates of the contract, etc. I took Company 2’s letter to the Foreign Affairs Police office in Ximen area. They simply made a notation on the back of my ARC that my employer had changed and that was that! 10 minute deal and no fee (as I recall).[/quote]Seeker4, other people have reported that in order to add an employer to their ARC (whether or not they left the old employer), they needed to get a second work permit from the Council of Labor Affairs before taking that to the FAP. Are you saying you managed to do this without a work permit? Sounds odd. AFAIK, it is not possible to “do without” any one of the trinity of Re-Entry Permit/Visa, Work Permit, and ARC.