Dog and cat cruelty in China

Be warned this video is of cruelty to dogs and cats in China.

I actually broke into a sweat while watching this…

badjojo.com/daily/10.16/06.html

And to think this goes on every day, thousands of times over.

When you have known a dog or cat, and watch that video, it is like watching it happen to children. I wonder, if people had pet cows, pigs, or chickens, if the same thoughts would come to mind.

What’s worse is that the animals are deliberately tortured, as it is believed to make the meat more tasty.

AnimalsAsia do a fantastic job of raising awareness and petitioning the government to end these cruel practices. Check out the links fo writing a letter, downloading a petition, and spreading the word.

Thanks.

Sean

Thanks for that link StrayDog…I found this video there…I broke into another sweat watching it…I’m litterally going to have to go for a walk outside to cool down now. It’s a good video though…and not graphically violent in any way.

safe for work, watch the Still Crying videos at the bottom: animalsasia.org/index.php?module=12&lg=en

I watched the first ten seconds and then threw up.

I swear to god i hope these people rot in some place worse than hell.

i can’t write any more my hands are shaking too much.

I’m not even going to watch it - I’ve seen so many horrible things done to animals… OK I watched it. Seen worse, not that that makes it nicer. Er, it’s not like watching it get done to children. The scenes in that video are not that dissimilar from some scenes of live transport of animals in Europe. But it is a matter of degree. The caging of those animals is appalling, the cages are far too small, and throwing them off the tops of lorries is completely unnecessary.

If you think this is bad, you should see videos of the Tibetans beating the total crap out of dogs to make them taste better. That is very difficult to understand. It must be similar to the burning of “witches” and stuff, which is incomprehensible to us now.

Of course, to put this in perspective, the CCP is still doing live medical experiments on PEOPLE - but I would be sympathetic if you said to me “People are bastards and animals are much nicer.” It’s probably true.

If anybody ever did that to my Lucky, I’d kill that person as slowly and painfully as I could.

In my opinion it is. Dogs have intelligence equal to that of a very young child, and are aware of pain, fear, etc. And, as I said, when you understand dogs, you understand what they’re thinking when you see those faces, and it’s heartbreaking … just like watching the same thing happen to children.

There is no need to compare the cruelty to other abuses, nor to the torture of people. All these things are wrong - no grades necessary - just wrong. And all must be stopped.

Why not? A dog, like a small child, is capable of solving simple problems, learning, and, more importantly in this context, experiencing emotions such as fear and pain.

So it’s fine to torture intelligent, sentient beings as long as they’re not human?

A few years ago (and in some places, still today) it was fine to torture people as long as they weren’t white.

Couldn’t bring myself to watch the video, but I’ve seen many like it.

Absolutely disgusting, revolting wastes of life, these people. :raspberry: :fume:

One day, in the very distant future, if humankind doesn’t send itself (and everything else on this planet) to oblivion, we will look back on such practices with deep, deep shame.

[quote=“Mordeth”]Be warned this video is of cruelty to dogs and cats in China.

I actually broke into a sweat while watching this…

(URL deleted)[/quote]
Yes, it is sickening. Pity the web site it is hosted on is pretty sick, too. The original location of the video on an animal welfare web site is

jcruel.com/catdogfur.asp

JCruel.com

Just to let you know that people in france are reacting to this, we are organizing a big demonstration in paris at the end of this month, people coming from all parts of France.
Against the bad treatments to dogs in China and against fur trade.

[quote=“Miranda”] Er, it’s not like watching it get done to children.

Of course, to put this in perspective, the CCP is still doing live medical experiments on PEOPLE - but I would be sympathetic if you said to me “People are bastards and animals are much nicer.” It’s probably true.[/quote]

in my opinion, as well as the opinions of many others it is exactly like watching it done to children… the attitude that human life is of so much more value and importance than the lives of any of the other creatures that share this planet with us is precisely where the root of this type of cruelty lies… sure we have stronger emotional ties and family structures than most animals, but in my opinion there is nothing that makes a human life more intrinsically valuable or sacred than the life of another type of animal…

medical experiments on people?.. BFD… they are willing and paid participants… and unless you can point out instances of people being abducted from their living rooms, locked up in tiny cages against their will, starved, beaten, and subjected to an excruciating, slow death by these experiments, then there is no comparison to what is being done to these animals…

humans in one way or another can take care of themselves… animals are utterly at the mercy of the one species that has the capacity to provide them protection, care and compassion… ironically and rather sickeningly, the same species that is the most murderous, destructive, malicious and selfish force that this planet has experienced in it’s 4.7billion year history…

[quote=“plasmatron”][quote=“Miranda”] Er, it’s not like watching it get done to children.

Of course, to put this in perspective, the CCP is still doing live medical experiments on PEOPLE - but I would be sympathetic if you said to me “People are bastards and animals are much nicer.” It’s probably true.[/quote]

in my opinion, as well as the opinions of many others it is exactly like watching it done to children… the attitude that human life is of so much more value and importance than the lives of any of the other creatures that share this planet with us is precisely where the root of this type of cruelty lies… sure we have stronger emotional ties and family structures than most animals, but in my opinion there is nothing that makes a human life more intrinsically valuable or sacred than the life of another type of animal…

medical experiments on people?.. BFD… they are willing and paid participants… and unless you can point out instances of people being abducted from their living rooms, locked up in tiny cages against their will, starved, beaten, and subjected to an excruciating, slow death by these experiments, then there is no comparison to what is being done to these animals…

humans in one way or another can take care of themselves… animals are utterly at the mercy of the one species that has the capacity to provide them protection, care and compassion… ironically and rather sickeningly, the same species that is the most murderous, destructive, malicious and selfish force that this planet has experienced in it’s 4.7billion year history…[/quote]

WOOHOO! :bravo:

Exactly that. Political prisoners in China. Plenty of examples out there, Eighteen Layers of Hell by Kate Saunders is a particularly good review.

I read a great piece only a short while ago written for an audience of sceptics on why animals should not be maltreated from a philosophical point of view. Can’t find it. Will post it if I find it again.

These animal rights debates tend to get out of control, so I’ll leave it there for now.

EDIT: BTW, plasmatron, I tend to agree with you on the role of humans in the world. But I think we are getting our come-uppance.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]
Dogs have intelligence equal to that of a very young child, and are aware of pain, fear, etc. [/quote]

Here is an excerpt from a similar piece:

[quote]Though Kant believed that animals were mere things it appears he did not genuinely believe we could dispose of them any way we wanted. In the Lectures on Ethics he makes it clear that we have indirect duties to animals, duties that are not toward them, but in regard to them insofar as our treatment of them can affect our duties to persons.

If a man shoots his dog because the animal is no longer capable of service, he does not fail in his duty to the dog, for the dog cannot judge, but his act is inhuman and damages in himself that humanity which it is his duty to show towards mankind. If he is not to stifle his human feelings, he must practice kindness towards animals, for he who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. (Kant, LE, 240) 

And one could argue the same would be true of those human beings who are not persons. We disrespect our humanity when we act in inhuman ways towards non-persons, whatever their species.

But this is unsatisfying

thanks for that link Miranda… interesting reading… or actually re-reading since back in university I did a mini thesis on moral philosophy and ethics using Kant’s Lectures on Ethics as a major reference… Actually the thesis was on the moral obligation of humans to be vegetarians, but the core issues of human’s perceptions of the intrinsic value of human life vs. non human life and our role as the only animals that are moral agents are the same…

I agree with your statement about PETA aligning themselves a bit too much on the extremist side of the field, but it’s easy for tempers and passions to flare in response to these everyday atrocities… also the type of humans involved in perpetrating and legitimizing these inhuman and barbaric practices, both at grass roots and bureaucratic level, are not the caliber of people who are receptive to lectures on philosophical morality or propositional logic… they are most commonly the type of people to whom you’d be better off demonstrating the weight of your moral proposition with a swiftly delivered, steel toe, size 12 to the teeth… :smiling_imp:

[quote=“Frost”][quote=“Stray Dog”]
Dogs have intelligence equal to that of a very young child, and are aware of pain, fear, etc. [/quote] [/quote]

The AVERAGE house dog has a vocabulary of 180 words. My dog is highly intelligent so I’m guessing it’s might be closer to 300.

Cats only know about 16 words (that’s cat words, not human words), so they must be stupid, which we know already. But that is still more than babies which are incredibly stupid.
If you put a baby in a room with a hungry lion and a gun, the baby will do nothing while the lion eats it. Where is its sense of survival ? At least cats and dogs will try to fight back or, more likely, run away.

Source? :astonished:

Source? :astonished:[/quote]This isn’t the same experiment but documents several others which come to the same conclusion: physics.mcgill.ca/~arobic/funny/babies.html