Dog-friendly Airlines

I’m planning to bring my 2 small dogs from U.S. to Taipei in early 2014 (upon completing their quarantine).
Are there any recommendations for dog-friendly airlines to/from the U.S.? Also, does any one have experience checking their dog as “excess baggage”? Was it cheaper then shipping pets in cargo? My dogs are both under 20 pounds, but I don’t think they would fit under a seat, especially since I have 2 of them. I am assuming they would both have to ship in cargo.

Also, has any one flown 2 animals in the same crate? My dogs live together and know each other so I think they would fly together comfortably. I know Korean Air requires that 2 pets that fly together to be the same size, age, and breed, which my dogs are. Any experiences shipping pets (without actually taking the same flight?). I’m trying to weigh my options to figure the best and safest way to ensure they arrive in 1 piece. Thanks for sharing!

I haven’t had to do this myself, but I have heard good things about Delta. There was a poster on this board before who was able to bring his dog as a carry-on with them, but with 2, I’m not sure if you’ll have any luck. I think the most important thing would be finding a flight that flies direct from somewhere in the US to Taiwan. Stopping in Japan or Hong Kong seems like it would just be an added headache. The other thing I would suggest…put them in separate crates even though they know each other. Unusual circumstances can make pets behave in unpredictable ways. They could easily get spooked and hurt each other.

Not sure about details but I heard the on-board options is actually special compartment for pets, not putting them under your seat. But seems like each airline has a little different rules about it.

Thanks Tiare, I will definitely look into buying 2 separate crates for my dogs.