Dog meat sting operation

On Friday afternoon my wife and I arrived in the neighborhood where her sister lives, to find a street full of bystanders, police cars and reporters.

Turns out a little restaurant had been busted for selling dog meat.

Chinese-language news report here:
cdnnews.com.tw/20080802/news … 144281.htm

Time to pull this chestnut out…

I can’t believe the Taiwanese would do this. Koreans and red Chinese certainly, Taiwanese no.

Dog makes a pleasant change from dolphin.

HG

It wasn’t just any dog meat.

It was stray dog meat.

[quote=“Rabidpie”]It wasn’t just any dog meat.

It was stray dog meat.[/quote]
That’s free range.

[quote=“Surly”][quote=“Rabidpie”]It wasn’t just any dog meat.

It was stray dog meat.[/quote]
That’s free range.[/quote]
If you fly KLM back to Europe you stop at Bangkok airport, and there’s a collecting box for a charity to support ‘street dogs’. The idea of charities supporting verminous and occasionally rabid street dogs appeals to me for some reason, so I always donate my foreign coins.

black free range dog…very good for you.

do dogs have races? ( i don’t mean greyhounds, either).

I don’t think anyone looks very hard. I often see it hanging in the small meat markets in small towns like Hukuo. I can’t think of ever seeing it a menu in Taiwan.

Yes, you have Chinese dogs, South American dogs, Japanese dogs … black American dogs, painted African dogs, Taiwanese dogs … all kind of dogs … I have a black Taiwanese dog … people really keep staring at it when I walk by and they say always it’s a beautiful dog … what they actually want to say is, the dog looks good, strong, healthy and is probably very tasty when it’s properly cooked … :smiley: :smiling_imp:

You can bet the last shilling in your piggy-bank that it’s not the only local eatery doing such a thing.

If a meat eater patronizes a randomly selected 100 small restaurants and food stalls in Taiwan, what are the odds that he’ll have been served with dog, cat and/or rat meat at least once? Pretty damn high, I’d say!

The most important questions hasn´t been answered: did it taste good?

Why are these places always busted before I find out about them? At this rate, I’ll have to DIY it.

Yes, you have Chinese dogs, South American dogs, Japanese dogs … black American dogs, painted African dogs, Taiwanese dogs … all kind of dogs … I have a black Taiwanese dog … people really keep staring at it when I walk by and they say always it’s a beautiful dog … what they actually want to say is, the dog looks good, strong, healthy and is probably very tasty when it’s properly cooked … :smiley: :smiling_imp:[/quote]

I was at a pet store in China once and told a young woman who’d just purchased a puppie that ‘it looked very delicious’. I’ll never forget the way she glared at me, shielding her doggie from the evil foreigner.

Dog tastes fine. Kind of sweet, but not gamey. It’s good in hot pot. Mind you, in China at least, there’s a very clear distinction between pet dogs and edible ones. The cute ones are for befriending. The ugly ones for eating. And, although there may be exceptions, they are generally bred on doggie farms solely for the purpose of eating them.