Dog poo, dog pee, and fines

I walk my dog most days during the cooler weather in a big park near where I live in NTC and pick up his poo each and every time using those biodegradable bags you can get on a roll. When it’s raining I have no choice but to take him along covered streets because he refuses to go anywhere near the rain. When it’s too hot to walk in the park, by which I mean the entire summer, same again: sometimes it’s so blazingly hot I have to walk him on the covered walkways in front of shops, but even so I try as much as I can to guide my dog towards narrow, shaded back streets and alleys.

Most of the time we get left alone, but I still encounter acts of aggression from a minority of Taiwanese people, both small and large.

I think the fines are a good idea, for people who either don’t pick up after their dogs or, as seems to very frequently be the case, kick them outdoors and let them roam around to shit where they like.But I’ve never been entirely clear on the legal aspects of dogs peeing.

To get to the point: my (Taiwanese) wife walked our dog this evening and had some people yell after her about a sign they had posted next to their building saying anyone who let their dog poo OR pee out front of it could get a six thousand dollar fine. Note this occurred next to a park where hundreds of people take their dog for a walk each and every day or evening.

She pointed out to them our dog had only raised its leg without producing any urine, and would only have done so because many other dogs had already taken a pee in that exact spot. She was upset, and I know the feeling, having been chased down the road by other people in the past shouting threats.

Now I’m wondering about the legality of this sign they’ve posted - meaning, I’m not entirely sure if it’s real. I know there are fines for dog poo, but what about peeing? I see posters of dogs taking a shit, but not raising their leg, since (I assume) chasing after people whose dogs are taking a pee might prove spectacularly hard to enforce or necessarily prove.

I’m concerned whether or not this sign has any legal standing or is some homemade nonsense. Or do the signs you otherwise see everywhere mean you can get fined for your dog for peeing in some particular spot AS WELL AS pooing?

That is why we are supposed to carry s bottle of water to spill on the dog pee… Sigh …

Enforcement is easy actually. And fights have gotten all the way to DNA test dog poop to prove your doggie is innocent.

2 Likes

I figured someone would mention the water, but I quickly found the water bottle and shaking it on the pee just attracted yet more attention and thereby increased the chances of aggression.

Well, I have also discovered that if they want to be nasty, no amount of appeasing will help. Anyways for the sake of our fur children , we have to keep the peace…and avoid certain neighbors.

Fair enough. But what’s the legal situation regarding a dog peeing and someone doesn’t like it?

As with all laws here, grey area. I have also seen the ubiquitous signs and I know that does not deter irresponsible owners from leaving golden nuggets around. But I have seen it on the news and I don’t want to be the atoga famous for that!

So there is or isn’t a law specifically regarding the question of dog urine? I can’t read those signs because my Mandarin is terrible, but do you happen to know if anywhere in there it happens to specify dogs urinating as well as defecating?

I’ll take a picture but yes supposedly it cites some law.

But then there are fines for throwing garbage on the street too.

Curious about the law as well. The dogs gotta go. But if its right in front of someones house or business, it seems justified they are angry with urine and feces being left by their place…its quite disrespectful really. Poo is still poo, regardless how cute the puppy. I can see it.legally being condisered a pollution or illegal dumping of some sort legally.

I have people, and their dogs, shitting and pissing on my land. I take pictures now and contact the police because its just a disgusting disrespect.

1 Like

To dilute it? It’s not going away, only if have a water hose hosing the whole street.

I’ll get everyone throwing cigarette stumps or binlang cups.

Anyways, some people let their dogs roam free, no cleaning up necessary.

Don’t ask me. That’s what they told me and I do as told to avoid a confrontation.

If you add some vinegar to the water it does eliminate the smell that attracts other dogs to pee in the same place.

Until the neighbors get pissed and call the pound.

Poison is cheaper, faster and more effective. Make sure you guys walking your dogs and pissing off the neighbours are checking that your dogs arent eating anything out there…its common to kill other peoples pets with rat poison :frowning: