Doggie Pee and Poop Etiquette

My dog is always leashed and I always have a napkin to catch his poop before it even hits the ground. His favorite spot to pee is usually this light post in front of the apartment next to mine. This light post is on the road and there’s a driveway between it and the front of this apartment building. The good thing about this spot is that there is sewer drain right next to it so my dog’s pee drains away. So I took my dog out this morning for his usual morning pee and poop and even before my dog has done his business the security guard from this building runs out shouting at me and takes out a camera and threatens to report me to the environmental agency or something like that. I ask him what’s the problem, he just keeps pointing the camera at me and saying that my dogs polluting the environment and that if he pees here again he’ll take pictures and call the police. To cut this story short I after a heated exchange I leave. Put this has been on my mind all day. So what’s proper etiquette, do I have to put down newspaper outside wherever my dog wants to pee? I never let my dog pee in front of people’s house or business or on sidewalks. Are public light posts and stop signs off limits too?

all you have to do is pick the poop up. some people bring a bottle of water to rinse the piss away, but i only do that when my dog pees on the covered sidewalk or right in front of someone’s door. it seems to me that you’re being very responsible with your pooch… much more so than many local dog owners. next time homie comes out, tell him to fuck off. seriously. i’m pretty sure public streets are fair game and you are only required by law to keep the dog on a leash and pick up his poop.

if he still gives you trouble, give him the flaming bag of dog shit… just kidding. but only because they have cameras EVERYWHERE.

Some people just hate dogs and it doesn’t matter what we do. I pick up my dog poo, but I get the same complaints from some of my neighbors. I respect you that you wanna catch your dog’s poop in mid-flight, but I’ll be damned if I’ll go that far. Maybe if they do the same with binlan spit or scooters leaking oil all over the place or cigarette butts or trash, then maybe… well… fuck that. Dogs poop. That’s life. Get over it. I pick it up and put it in my trash. That’s where my social responsibility ends.

And the rinsing pee with water just cracks me up. Unless you are carrying enough water to thoroughly wash the area where they pee, all you are doing is diluting it a little and spreading it farther. What’s the point?

[quote=“CraigTPE”]…

And the rinsing pee with water just cracks me up. Unless you are carrying enough water to thoroughly wash the area where they pee, all you are doing is diluting it a little and spreading it farther. What’s the point?[/quote]

It’s the gesture … :ohreally:

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]

It’s the gesture … :ohreally:[/quote]

This is true. Although if one thinks about it, the idea of pouring water on the pee is ridiculous (especially with the amount of strays around), it does make everyone feel better. I’ve had a few old men go at me at the park when I’m walking my dog (he’s leashed and I pick up the poop), but I usually just laugh and walk away.

Sometimes I really want to get in a screaming match with them, reminding them of all the old men that pee in the park (and children) and point out all the garbage on the ground that the people couldn’t even bother to throw into the trash can about 10 feet away. It really drives me crazy too, but most of them will never change their minds.
People pee on ground = good; dog pee on the ground =bad. :loco:

Am I the only one who cleans the floor/sidewalk/street after the poop?

i just pick it up in a bag that is all.

Never had anyone ever say one word to for around the 7 years I’ve been picking up my dog’s shit in Taipe. I really get shocked at these stories as I have never had any hint of trouble whatsoever :ponder:

There are far more dangerous polluting material on the ground and the air than to worry about a couple of miligrams of left over residual dog shit.

i just pick it up in a bag that is all.

Never had anyone ever say one word to for around the 7 years I’ve been picking up my dog’s shit in Taipe. I really get shocked at these stories as I have never had any hint of trouble whatsoever :ponder:

There are far more dangerous polluting material on the ground and the air than to worry about a couple of miligrams of left over residual dog shit.[/quote]

You are really lucky.

Truth be told, yesterday on the sidewalk close to our office entrance there was a canine deposition of almost human proportions… :astonished: :raspberry: Way beyond disgusting.

I just walk my dog off the leash and if he takes a shit or piss, I simply do the Taiwanese thing of keeping on walking and not looking at the dog. If I don’t see it, its not happening. See?

So YOU’re the reason every time I walk down the street with my wife she goes,

[quote]“look out, DOG SHIT. . . . . there, there DOG SHIT. . .” grabbing my arm, “MORE, DOG SHIT. . . look out,” yanking me back, “over there, DOG SHIT . . . be CAREFUL, there’s DOG SHIT. . . . . ACK,” pushing me out of the way, "you almost stepped in it, DOG SHIT. . . "[/quote] :eh:

Ummm… this thread looks very, very familiar. Did you just move into a new apartment building? Seriously, I think someone’s been having the exact same problem at the exact same building about 4 months ago.

I really need to install cameras so I know exactly who is turning my front door into a cesspool of cigarettes, discarded tea cups and dog shit, and take appropriate action. :fume: :fume: :fume:

I started a post about this a few months back, and I continue to get the same “your dog is an environmental hazard” rant from my neighbors and park goers. I’ve called the foreigner hotline last week, who in turn contacted the local police in Kaohsiung and sent me an email explaining and listing the laws about dogs. You are legally required to put your dog on a leash and pick up the poo. That’s it.

Here’s the email.

[quote]
We have confirmmed with the concerning authority of Kaohsiung City Government on the issue of walking dogs. There is not any specific regulation on where is allowed or not allowed to walk dogs on public spaces. However, some public spaces or private property may have signs of walking dogs not permitted set up. We suggest that you take precautions, i.e. put your dog on leash, or mouth piece etc., in case your dog might be out of control and does people harm, which could involve you in a lawsuit; take care of the excrement properly since fine will be applied according to the Waste Management Act.[/quote]

Here are the laws.

[quote]Waste Disposal Act
Article 11 General wastes shall be cleared away in accordance with the provisions listed below. Remaining wastes that are not cleared away in accordance with these provisions shall be cleared away by the Implementing Agencies.
6. Wastes associated with poultry and livestock excrement left on roads or other public places shall be cleared away by the owners or custodians.

Article 50 In any of the following situations, a fine between twelve hundred and six thousand New Taiwan Dollars shall be imposed. And an order for compliance within a specific time period shall be issued and, if the violation continues after the end of the specified time period, then continuous daily fines shall be imposed.

1. Violation of Paragraphs 1 to 7 under Article 11 when clearing general waste.

Animal Protection Act

Article 20 While entering or exiting public sites or places where the public may enter or exit, a pet shall be accompanied by a person over 7 years old.
Pets with potential of assault while entering or exiting public sites or places where the public may enter or exit shall be accompanied by an adult and adequate protection measures must be arranged.
The categories of the pets with potential of assault referred to in the proceeding Paragraph and the related adequate protection measures shall be determined and promulgated by the competent authorities at the central government level.

Enforcement Rules of Animal Protection
Article 4 The adequate protection measures depicted in the Paragraph 1 of Article 20, which means the person who accompanies the pet must use leash, cage or box to carry the pet.[/quote]

The best part about my inquiry was when I asked about cleaning up after pee. The response I got from both departments was, “Why would you do that?” and “Well you can’t pick pee up, dummy!” So, from what they’ve told me, as long as your dog pees on the street or in the park, but not on the sidewalks, it’s acceptable in the eyes of the law, if not your “environmentally concerned” neighbors.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]So YOU’re the reason every time I walk down the street with my wife she goes,

think you need your eyes tested

you forgot the bit when it runs back to you and wants a stroke you gotta pretend you dont know the dog and throw it away and look around at someone to scorn for being so irresponsible. like farting on the MRT :blush:

Its a 90-pound lab that takes shits the size of Carrefour baguettes. There ‘aint no throwing goin’ on.

The OP should film the guy filming him. Speak sensibly to him. Either that or carry a big cup.

New rules when walking your dog … carry bucket, water and mop, bag and scoop … :roflmao: oh, don’t forget your dog …

I either have my dogs pee and poo on the roof … cleaned and washed away after dump … or they pee and poo on the side soft shoulder of the mountain road, where no one has business stepping … anyhow, picking up would be like looking for a needle in a haystack … they never poo or pee on a paved road … :whistle: :popcorn:

… a farting woman in the elevator is worse … :ohreally:

[quote=“xiaojuan”]I started a post about this a few months back, and I continue to get the same “your dog is an environmental hazard” rant from my neighbors and park goers. I’ve called the foreigner hotline last week, who in turn contacted the local police in Kaohsiung and sent me an email explaining and listing the laws about dogs. You are legally required to put your dog on a leash and pick up the poo. That’s it.

Here’s the email.

[quote]
We have confirmmed with the concerning authority of Kaohsiung City Government on the issue of walking dogs. There is not any specific regulation on where is allowed or not allowed to walk dogs on public spaces. However, some public spaces or private property may have signs of walking dogs not permitted set up. We suggest that you take precautions, i.e. put your dog on leash, or mouth piece etc., in case your dog might be out of control and does people harm, which could involve you in a lawsuit; take care of the excrement properly since fine will be applied according to the Waste Management Act.[/quote]

Here are the laws.

[quote]Waste Disposal Act
Article 11 General wastes shall be cleared away in accordance with the provisions listed below. Remaining wastes that are not cleared away in accordance with these provisions shall be cleared away by the Implementing Agencies.
6. Wastes associated with poultry and livestock excrement left on roads or other public places shall be cleared away by the owners or custodians.

Article 50 In any of the following situations, a fine between twelve hundred and six thousand New Taiwan Dollars shall be imposed. And an order for compliance within a specific time period shall be issued and, if the violation continues after the end of the specified time period, then continuous daily fines shall be imposed.

1. Violation of Paragraphs 1 to 7 under Article 11 when clearing general waste.

Animal Protection Act

Article 20 While entering or exiting public sites or places where the public may enter or exit, a pet shall be accompanied by a person over 7 years old.
Pets with potential of assault while entering or exiting public sites or places where the public may enter or exit shall be accompanied by an adult and adequate protection measures must be arranged.
The categories of the pets with potential of assault referred to in the proceeding Paragraph and the related adequate protection measures shall be determined and promulgated by the competent authorities at the central government level.

Enforcement Rules of Animal Protection
Article 4 The adequate protection measures depicted in the Paragraph 1 of Article 20, which means the person who accompanies the pet must use leash, cage or box to carry the pet.[/quote]

The best part about my inquiry was when I asked about cleaning up after pee. The response I got from both departments was, “Why would you do that?” and “Well you can’t pick pee up, dummy!” So, from what they’ve told me, as long as your dog pees on the street or in the park, but not on the sidewalks, it’s acceptable in the eyes of the law, if not your “environmentally concerned” neighbors.[/quote]

it doesn’t say your dog has to be on a leash it suggests that your dog should be on a leash. Only if your dog is deemed dangerous or potentially dangerous does it have to be on a leash. I usually use a leash but in the mountains or riverside park i don not and my dog is not dangerous therefore i do not have to put it on a leash.