Dogs that were going to be eaten sent to Vancouver

anybody know anything about this?
timescolonist.com/life/Dogs% … story.html

I dont think eating dogs is huge business in Taiwan like it is in China. There are still some reports. They caught a father/son team recently that were rounding up strays and killing them and selling the meat. But on the whole I dont think its a major problem in Taiwan.

I’m ignorant of a good number of relevant facts and would appreciate it if someone fill me in.

It seems that a large number of rescued animals need be sent abroad for sanctuary. I assume that’s because there aren’t enough good homes/environments for them here. That, or there’s a perception that this is true, and some people abroad appreciate the feeling that comes from supposedly rescuing an animal from puppy-hell.

If it’s necessary to send animals abroad because there aren’t enough good homes/environments for them here, why isn’t there a greater emphasis on reducing the local population? (Maybe there is, and I just don’t hear of it because it’s not one a high priority and I don’t often check the Pets Forum.)

youtube.com/watch?v=qgcAo0ET55U

the lady is wearing a TUAPA t-shirt, so I imagine the dog is from Taichung, but not sure.

Now the thing that annoys me about all this is the global carbon woof print. Am I alone in thinking it odd that you’d merrily fly in Canadian bacon and fly out Taiwan dog?

HG

I’m happy that they remind people in the end of the video clip that there are dogs locally that need help too. I wonder if those photos are from Taiwan. The one with the tanned dogs in the cage looks a lot like the Korean meat market photos where Tiffany escaped from. (the dog that ripped off her nose and is now living in Canada too)

It is always better to adopt a dog out to someone in Taiwan. But it’s only NT10 000 to fly a dog to Canada…and the chances of finding a home with a yard is bigger:) If someone abroad were interested in a dog I was fostering I would send them over.

[quote=“Battery9”]I’m happy that they remind people in the end of the video clip that there are dogs locally that need help too. I wonder if those photos are from Taiwan. The one with the tanned dogs in the cage looks a lot like the Korean meat market photos where Tiffany escaped from. (the dog that ripped off her nose and is now living in Canada too)

It is always better to adopt a dog out to someone in Taiwan. But it’s only NT10 000 to fly a dog to Canada…and the chances of finding a home with a yard is bigger:) If someone abroad were interested in a dog I was fostering I would send them over.[/quote]

That’s it 10 000 NT$ damn that is cheap!!! Are you sure?

yes, my friend flew two dogs in one crate to Canada for NT10 000. In comparison to the NT170 000 it will cost to send my dogs to SA(like that will ever happen!!) that’s nothing. If you send dogs to the US and Canada they don’t go as cargo…not sure about US but Canada needs no quarantine.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Now the thing that annoys me about all this is the global carbon woof print. Am I alone in thinking it odd that you’d merrily fly in Canadian bacon and fly out Taiwan dog?

HG[/quote]

As someone who only recently found a home for a Taiwanese dog in California, come on now man, that jet would be flying anyways. Even if nobody EVER sent a pup overseas, the planes would still be flying, and I imagine the extra fuel needed for one pup is negligible.
It puts a pup in a good home, and no, from what I can tell, there aren’t enough here in Taiwan, or anywhere, for all these medium sized dogs in a country where people mostly just love the tiny yappy puppy mill dogs.

[quote=“Battery9”]anybody know anything about this?
timescolonist.com/life/Dogs% … story.html[/quote]

someone is going to bed hungry tonight. :frowning:

Don’t they kill millions of dogs every year in America? It seems silly to save a dog from here when the end result is one less potential home for one of many millions of homeless dogs awaiting euthanasia in America.

10,000 NT is cheap, but it is a lot cheaper to just go to an American shelter and take a dog out of death row.

[quote=“RobinTaiwan”]Don’t they kill millions of dogs every year in America? It seems silly to save a dog from here when the end result is one less potential home for one of many millions of homeless dogs awaiting euthanasia in America.

10,000 NT is cheap, but it is a lot cheaper to just go to an American shelter and take a dog out of death row.[/quote]

Ya know I think I would have thought the same thing before I got into the situation I’m in (long freaking story).
When you’ve saved a dog that you can’t keep, and you’ve searched for a good home for the dog in Taiwan, and no one shows the slightest bit of interest even though it’s a freaking awesome dog, and your landlord is pissed that you’ve got a dog in your house, and then someone in America sees it on a website and says, “I’ve been thinking about getting another dog for a year but never felt like I found the right one until I saw the dog you put up on the adoption site” you stop thinking about logistics and you’re just plain relieved.
I think bottom line is that another animal has been helped, there’s no appreciable difference in carbon emissions, and a stoked family in California (or Canada) now has a conversation starter at the dog park (not to mention I don’t have to come home every five hours to let the puppy out so it doesn’t pee on my floor)
Not much harm done, and a hell of a lot of good.