Doing steak right

I’m a novice at cooking steak, and wonder what our resident experts have to say. The return of US beef has got me eager to pick up a nice Prime at Costco soon…

Here are bits I found on the web about steak, as I was trying to learn more today:

1. Picking the steak:

A) Cut: [quote]Chuck and Round are tough… Rib and Loin are not. If the words “chuck” or “round” are in the name of the steak, it will need to be marinated and then slowly cooked in liquid to be tender. These are generally very lean cuts with lots of muscle fiber that need to be broken down with slow, long, moist heat. Don’t even think of throwing a chuck steak on the grill. If the word “loin” is on the label, or the butcher tells you that a steak is cut from the loin (a strip steak, porterhouse or T-bone), these will be the most tender. Same goes for the word “rib,” as in rib-eye or rib steak. These can be cooked quickly – on a grill, in the oven or on the stove in a pan.[/quote]

B) Grade:

1. Cooking:
    I don’t have a grill, so I’m limited to pan-frying and the oven. Here’s what the above site said about both:

A) Cook to temperature: [quote]Don Roden, owner of the new Organic Butcher in McLean, says the secret to a perfect steak is 125 degrees on the thermometer (for rare).[/quote]

B) Pan-sear, then oven-bake: [quote] This is an old restaurant method and a practically foolproof way to make sure your steak is not overcooked. It works particularly well with a two-inch thick, boneless steak such as filet mignon. Sear the steak on one side in a hot, oiled pan on the stovetop over fairly high heat. This creates a nice brown crust. Flip the steak over, then place the pan in a 425-degree oven to finish the cooking. Roast to desired doneness (about 5 minutes for rare, 7 minutes for medium rare, 9 minutes for medium), depending on the thickness of the meat. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes to redistribute juices before serving.[/quote]

Ooh, I’m getting hungry…[/quote]

Cast iron griddles work very well on Taiwan stoves to sear meat since you can get them to orbit re-entry temperatures. Once you season it, no more need to oil…

Cracked pepper and sea-salt before searing.

(they also work well as flame tamers so you get even low heat)

Then do the oven trick.

urrgghh

avoid the oven… a good pan should do it.

there has been lovely lovely oz and nz beef in taiwan the whole duration of the us ban.

[quote=“AWOL”]urrgghh

avoid the oven… a good pan should do it.

there has been lovely lovely oz and nz beef in taiwan the whole duration of the us ban.[/quote]

So much so that I am going to stick with the tucker from down under.

DragonBones, you can buy yourself a griddle pan which helps a bit, but them hibachis is dirt cheap too and being the intrepid mountaineer that you are, I see no reason why you shouldn’t get yourself one. Also, we have found that Indonesian coal works best. Must be because the smaller hands can reach further back into the mines. :smiling_imp:

Just kidding. Not sure if it’s available in these parts, but if you could get your hands on some mesquite, you’d be in steak heaven.

Also make sure to marinate your slab for at least an hour prior to cooking. Costco sells Montreal Steak Spice, which I’ve found to be the key ingredient to a successful marinade. That and lots of garlic.

Throw it in a pan and cook it. Grind some pepper and maybe some steak spice on it. No reason to get too technical if it’s a good quality steak. a cast-iron fry pan is good. Filet mignon is good broiled.

A cheap sirloin does the trick for me although I prefer T-bone and rib eye. Even wing steak is good. Round steak sucks.

No trust me - the pan sears the meat, the oven will get to the exact level of rare you want w/out drying the meat out. Let the steak sit for a bit before you carve especially if it’s a thick cut

Ask Belgium Pie. That man cooks a perfect steak. That he can do it while preparing food for a table of 13 all by himself is nothing short of award-wining cooking.

Urrrrgh.

That stuff has the texture of a hockey puck.

I’m glad US beef is back.

Ok, got me a thick iron griddle for searing, cast in one piece so it can go into a hot oven too. Next stop, Costco. Wonder if they have Prime Ribeye… :lick:

Urrrrgh.

I’m glad US beef is back.[/quote]

yeah right. perhaps you dont know how to cook it right? :unamused:

[quote=“Tigerman”]Urrrrgh.

I’m glad US beef is back.[/quote]

Its just an opinion, mate. No need to get upset.

I suspect that I do indeed know how to cook beef. Its not really all that complicated. Also, I raised beef cattle for about 8 years, and we ate lots of it. Cooked it first, of course.

Dragonbones -
Here is a very good recipe for steak in an iron skillet or iron griddle.
It comes from Herb Caen, a former bon vivant ranconteur and long time columnist from the San Francisco Chronicle when it was an ecellent newspaper. erb ia now deceased, but his memory does live on. e is the originator of “Baghdad by the Bay” as a ame for San Francisco.

1. Your steak - at room temperature.
  2. Coat with oil (olive, whatever you prefer), a small amount of salt (if desired) & a touch of cracked pepper (black/white/green or red - but from the whole peppercorn).
  3. Mustard Powder - Colmans is preferred - coat steak liberally on both sides. Pack it on. This will seal the flavour and if directions are followed will not overpower the meat flavour.
  4. Heat skillet/griddle to temp where when you spit on it, the spit balls up and dances merrily around and magically dissappears. You can use a drop of water if you are so inclined.
  5. Open the windows, turn on the exhaust fan and disable any smoke alarms you may have.
  6. Stand back and lay the steak on the skillet/griddle.
  7. Allow 2 minutes on the 1st side - flip and continue for another 2 minutes. This will give you a rare steak. Adjust times according to your preference.
  8. Remove from skillet/griddle and allow to set for 3 - 5 minutes.

Enjoy with the side dishes of your choice and a hearty red wine - a Chilean Cabernet would be very nice!

why do we have to get bitchy about steak, all this NZ, Aus steak Vs. US steak. Fack that man, its all from cows right. Its all basically the same. Maybe fed slightly differently, but hey dont get your nickers in a twist. I would say that British steak is the dogs bollocks because i am british, we are all biased; just facking eat what you like and dont dis others for what they like to eat :fume:

A good tip when cooking any meat is to first cook it until it’s almost done, and then take it off the heat source and let it chill on a plate for 10 - 20 minutes. This allows the juice to be absorbed by the meat so the meat is more juicy and tender, and you don’t get any liquid (blood) when you cut it to eat it. Finally, just re-heat it the way you originally cooked it and serve.

This applies to grilled, fried and roasted meat. Enjoy!

teggs

relax, chill… emoticons man, one cannever use enough emoticons… to tigerman :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: to wayneowen :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Dragonbones -
Here is a very good recipe for steak in an iron skillet or iron griddle.[/quote]

Thanks but mustard makes me gag.

Tonight I did a marinade for some small, inexpensive Aussie steaks (“calf rear leg steak” in Chinese – what would that be, round? Shank?). I used my imagination and stirred up a marinade with a deluxe dark soy sauce, ten cloves of garlic fried in extra virgin olive oil then crushed through a garlic press (adding the oil too), orange juice and garlic spice mix. I pricked the small medallion-like steaks about 30 times each with a fork, then rubbed the marinade in well, and refrigerated for about 6 hours. I then seared them on a cast-iron griddle covered in olive oil and heated to nearly smoking, reduced heat slightly, and cooked a wee bit longer, then served. I was expecting them to be a bit tough, being an inexpensive cut, but they were reasonably tender and extremely flavorful – quite delicious, really! Not bad for NT$30 per 10cm-diam medallion.

I still get to return to Australia and look out the window at beef on the hoof just a few feet away while I’m eating their friends.

Regarding USA versus Australian or NZ beef.

It’s the feed lots and grain feeding animals that stand around and don’t exercise. These American fat lazy bastards can be more tender.

I suspect the buying plays a part.

For example I’m buying second grade apples at Geant right now. They are cheaper because each is blemished. No big deal but you can see it.

Young grain fed beef is more marbled I guess. But otherwise I can’t tell the difference. The Aussie and NZ beef probably has a price component at times and low grade old beef could come in. Probably depends where you buy it. Costco seems pretty good for beef quality.

My Taiwanese SO protests loudly if we cook steak or hamburger because she does not like the smell and says it has no taste or tastes awful. We repeated this ritual again tonight and we had really nice steak.

Run out of chilli sauce so I used tomato sauce and Costco Taco seasoning mixed together. Worked really well.

I wish there was something on television worth watching right now.