Donate aid to the multitude of Tsunami Survivors

Actually, I read somewhere that, while it’s a buddhist organization, they (or she) were influenced by catholic missionaries or doctrine. I don’t recall the details, but it would explain their uniforms, which look catholic too me. But they’re good folks nonetheless. :wink:

i wouldnt be so quick to criticise taiwans donations…per capita and per GNP the USA generally comes last in these things…anyway fuck the government this is one crisis where everybody can help out…at least give one days salary for starters and then more at a later date if needed.

Mum and dad have given to Tzu-Chi
I’ve given to Red Cross, Medecins sans Frontiers, CAREaustralia and UNICEF

I hope that more people can find it in them to give

I have to say this is a very encouraging article. It seems US corporations are on pace to give out more than the US government:

money.cnn.com/2004/12/30/news/fo … tm?cnn=yes

On the bus today I saw posters that Shin Shin Bus Company (欣欣客運) was donating 50,000 passengers’ worth of bus fare to the tsunami relief fund.

So of course I called the company to ask would it be $15 or $8 times 50,000. The lady said “I think” it’s $15. So that would be NT$750,000 in donations.

That was very generous of Shin Shin Bus Company, I thought.

I gave through Unicef today.

Kudos to Pfizer! :bravo:

The pharmaceutical giant is giving US$35 million

For those interested in donating via Paypal:

Donate to UNICEF

[quote=“Gubo”]I have to say this is a very encouraging article. It seems US corporations are on pace to give out more than the US government:

money.CNN.com/2004/12/30/news/fo … tm?CNN=yes[/quote]

Thirty five million dollars? (David Shuster)

Thank God they woke up. U.S. announces $350 million in tsunami aid

I and my wonderful woman gave today.

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”][quote=“Gubo”]I have to say this is a very encouraging article. It seems US corporations are on pace to give out more than the US government:

money.CNN.com/2004/12/30/news/fo … tm?CNN=yes[/quote]

Thirty five million dollars? (David Shuster)

Thank God they woke up.

U.S. announces $350 million in tsunami aid[/quote]

Perhaps the Indonesian government should simply stick a hot soldering iron up Suharto’s ass before the World is asked to pony up. Considering it’s estimated he has up to $100,000,000,000 US dollars stashed away in Swiss banks accounts, why should foreign taxpayers have to help Indonesia when the Indonesian government doesn’t seem interested in helping it’s own people? For that matter, if the Indian government can afford nuclear weapons and a space program, they ought to be able to help themselves. I don’t recall any international aid being sent to Florida after the hurricanes this past summer.

From the AP:

“The final tally is yet to be known, but it’s clear the Red Cross and other aid groups are experiencing perhaps the largest surge in donations since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks or the string of hurricanes that hit Florida and the Caribbean this summer.”

Go stuff your callous attitude.

Fake online appeals SPAM?
I don’t know if this is real or not, but I fear that the online appeals for fake donations (to steal our credit card numbers etc) has begun. This came in today. Sounds fishy. Especially since there are mis-spellings etc.
Maybe coming in from Nigeria HQ?

Dear Sirs/Madame,

I am write with in regards to the recent terrestial disaster, which caused over 135,000 death in the South East Asian region. We urgently need foode, medicines and blanketts, in particular for over 1,250,000 injured and homeless children. Please forward cheque or packages to our address OR PLEASE DONATE ONLINE

133 A Broad Lane
Coventry
CV5 7AL
United Kingdom

Many thanks you for its support.

As an American, my government already made a decision for all of us to donate. My portion was 13 cents.

I’m going to be in the Xinguang department store area near Warner Village from 12:30 today collecting with Tzu-Chi,

Give us yer fooking money!!

Indonesia…what a concept! :unamused:

[quote]Zero duty for ‘tsunami’ goods

Minister of Finance Yusuf Anwar has issued a decree that grants zero import duty for imported goods that are to be donated to the victims of the tsunami catastrophe in Aceh and North Sumatra, starting on Dec. 30.

However, the exemption is only valid for goods imported via bonded zones in the country, and by exporters or businesspeople who are already eligible for import duty cuts on materials that are later processed into export commodities. [/quote]

thejakartapost.com/detailhea … @02&irec=1

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”]Indonesia…what a concept! :unamused:

[quote]Zero duty for ‘tsunami’ goods

Minister of Finance Yusuf Anwar has issued a decree that grants zero import duty for imported goods that are to be donated to the victims of the tsunami catastrophe in Aceh and North Sumatra, starting on Dec. 30.

However, the exemption is only valid for goods imported via bonded zones in the country, and by exporters or businesspeople who are already eligible for import duty cuts on materials that are later processed into export commodities. [/quote]

thejakartapost.com/detailhea … @02&irec=1[/quote]

:moo:

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4144467.stm

Somewhere in the media, they are calling it “tsunamiaid” now. Nice name for a concert to raise funds, but am not sure if the word will catch on.

Actually it’s a misprint on a KRT graph on page 2 of the China Post otherwise I have not been able to find it repeated while searching google news sites. At least the Post can blame it on KRT unlike the misspelling of pressganged on the front page.

The Red Cross has a form at 7-11, Hi-Life, Family Mart and a couple other convenience stores. It’s sponsored by those convenience stores, but I guess you can’t donate money at the store itself. You’ll need to get that form, fill it out, and then walk, ride, or drive to the post office to donate the money.