Donating Blood in Taiwan?

Back when I was in college, we had a blood drive every semester. I was happy to help out with a blood donation, and I got lots of free cookies and T-shirts in the process.

Has anyone donated blood before in Taiwan? I’m in Taipei, so anywhere conveniently located would be great.

Any other details are appreciated.

[quote]Has anyone donated blood before in Taiwan? I’m in Taipei, so anywhere conveniently located would be great.
[/quote]
I do it a couple times a year in a bus that comes around to our office. I don’t know if they accept people off the street or not, though. I also see a donation bus parked on Hsinsheng S Rd outside Taida Uni quite regularly.

There’s one in the Taipei Main Station MRT, I forget which exit it’s near, but it’s past Eslite. I would give mine, but they don’t want it because I’m British.

Yeah, I’ve seen those buses before, but I never have had a chance to stop.

That brings up another question that I just thought of. Do you have a hard time answering the standard questions that they ask you? Is there an English form available?

[quote=“scomargo”]Is there an English form available?[/quote]Yes

[quote]I would give mine, but they don’t want it because I’m British.
[/quote]

Weird. They always take mine. There again, maybe they just take it and then throw it away because they’re too embarrassed to refuse me. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

MatthewH: maybe you’ve got the wrong blood type? :wink:

Btw: isn’t it a fact that in the whole of East Asia, rhesus negative types are very rare? I think my aunt who has been living in Asia for the past 15 years mentioned that once and that my uncle who, like me, is a 0 rhesus negative type, donated blood that is stored in some local hospital in case he’d need blood which otherwise might be hard to get by (because rhesus negative types can only receive rhesus negative blood and 0 types can only receive 0 type blood).

But maybe I got that wrong?

Iris

no, its because they’re afraid I might have BSE
My blood is O+
O- is the best because it’s compatiable with all groups, they can squirt it into anyone without testing them, I think that’s another reason why they keep a ready supply, it’s the most useful.

There’s also often a Red Cross bus on the north side of the 228 Park, on Xiangyang Street, close to the Taiwan (Provincial) Museum and Guanqian Road.

So except for a bus, none of you fools no where to donate your blood? Try the nearest friggen hospital. Jeeze what a question.

Chou

Somebody who knows better please correct me, but I could swear I read somewhere that they don’t use foreigners’ blood here. (Oh, they may TAKE it, but then they get rid of it when you’re gone–or so I read.)

The U.S. blood drives don’t take blood from gays or Haitians because of the unacceptably high medical risk. Well, I guess in the eyes of the Taiwanese, we’re all like the gays and Haitians.

What’s the problem with gays, Haitians or foreigners blood? Just test it. It’s as easy as that, isn’t it?

The HIV test is not 100% fail proof.In other words, if you were infected within 3 months before giving blood, they might not be able to tell that the blood carried the HIV virus and will infect the receipient of your blood.

[quote=“chodofu”]So except for a bus, none of you fools no where to donate your blood? Try the nearest friggen hospital. Jeeze what a question.[/quote]I’ve already told you of another place. Right after the 921 earthquake we called a major hospital to ask if they want any blood, they said ‘no’. Then the news said they DO need blood, so I queued outside the bus at 228 park for 2-3 hours.

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]
The U.S. blood drives don’t take blood from gays or Haitians because of the unacceptably high medical risk. Well, I guess in the eyes of the Taiwanese, we’re all like the gays and Haitians.[/quote]

In Taiwan, gays, bisexuals, foreign laborers, and transexuals are not supposed to donate blood. Given the high numbers of closeted gay men in Taiwan and an alarming HIV/STD rate, I would be cautious about receiving donated blood here.

What’s the HIV rate here BTW?

I’ve always thought that it was rather low?

Mr. He you said, one knows only after 3 month, if one’s HIV positiv. So I could have had sex yesterday, got infected and donate blood today. How do they test my blood in the West? I’m sure they have thought about that problem in the West and I’m sure, that if they know how to test ones blood accuratly in the West, then they know it in Taiwan too. They are not morons here, are they?

That’s the problem, they can’t test it. There are tests that reduce the window period now, but there’s still some leeway (although the chances of getting tainted blood in a donation is 0.23 cases per 1 million in Taiwan–very low and no reason to refuse a transfusion in the case of an emergency). But I cringe when I see companies make all their employees go donate blood in the name of team spirit. It isn’t like the closeted gay ones in this monkey-see, monkey-do culture are going to jump up and say, “Oh sorry, boss, I can’t.”

Ha, I can’t even donate blood. I was refused in the US and if they are picky here, then I doubt I could donate here…despite my wanting to donate because of transfusions that I’ve received in the past through someone else’s generosity.

Grrr… :x

There is a bus parked on Omei St. in Hsimenting. I believe it is that street. Across from some theaters and the outdoor pet shop (which has dramatically cut back on the kinds of weird animals they used to sell).
I understand the need to give blood, but I am not that generous, unless it was an emergency.
Do they do plasma donations here? The ones you get paid for?