Donating Blood

Everyone seems to be hearing different stories; kind of makes me wonder if the blood bank operates from the same POV as the real banks in Taiwan. Sure, there’s a true set of laws/rules etc, but the implementation of them seems to be up to whomever is staffing the desk at the time. :unamused:

I find it hard to believe that the country with one of the highest Hep B rates in the world can refuse people based on their country of origin, the length of their stay or whether they’ve smoked pot, ever. At least now I can spare myself the embarrassment of being turned away…

I tried to donate in January of 2009 after having been in Taiwan only about 3 weeks following a short visit to the US. I was told I had to wait a month because of the West Nile virus, as Kage mentions above. I thought this was a bit much, and asked about the occurrence of the dengue fever in Taiwan, and how that affects donation eligibility. However, the lady didn’t seem too concerned about any Taiwanese problems like that. Anyway, it seems like an easy enough thing to avoid…just wait a month after you return from the US.

I’d be willing to bet that Divea’s husband’s problem was due to having traveled outside of Taiwan more recently, and not the 3 year period. I could be wrong, though. I’ve never seen that on any of the questions, but then again, I usually use the Chinese version of the question form and not the English one that may have different questions especially for foreigners.

I plan to donate tomorrow morning, so if I have problems or notice any new rules I’ll post on here.

Had no problems donating on Saturday in Zhonghe. I just received an email from the blood center that they send after the donation, and it tells me this was the 19th time I’ve donated. Never had a problem during all of those times except for the one time I didn’t heed the one-month rule after returning from the US.

To those who are not sure if you qualify, just take a few minutes and visit a blood center to ask.

It may be the case, but they sat down and counted his months for him. I think the rules and how they are understood and (mis) interpreted must be different. He didn’t go to the Blood donation centre, it was one of those units that came to his office building.

I’ve never come across this ‘English form’ but I’ve never had rouble donating blood. I think the people at the bus here just have no idea what to do with me (they seem a bit confused) but as I’m not at one of the countries they automatically refuse (eg England due to mad cows) they let me do it anyway. I haven’t been here for 3 years, and first donated when I’d been here for about a year (I was in India before that).

I find it interesting they only take half the amount of blood as they would in Australia, although this might be to get around the fact that a lot of Taiwanese don’t weigh more than the 50kg required elsewhere, and you can also donate more often. I do like the free pot plant I got though, and the socks. Very random.

People over 60kg can donate more (500mL , or 750 mL I think - please correct me if I am wrong), but have to specify they want to (and cannot donate as often).
Other options are platelet or plasma donations if you have the time.

People between 45-59 kg can donate 250mL every couple months.

Rant begins:The latest “gift” is a lovely purple baseball hat. Or you can not take the gift and save your “points” for a bigger prize ( a NEW
CAR
!!..?).
It is odd that is it never something for nothing here, eh? Altruism sometimes seems less prevalent than I would expect (sorry if that offends). I have heard that many donate blood because a) it is ‘good’ for you and b) it gets you and your family higher on the list should you need a transfusion.
Rant over.

I don’t think you can donate 750cc, at least I’ve never heard about it, and I would probably weigh enough to qualify since I’m pretty tall. You’re right about all of the other time limits, though. You have to wait 3 months between donations if you donate 500cc, as opposed to waiting 2 months if you donate 250.

I’m with you on the altruism part. I heard that when that steak place was giving out free steak dinners a few weeks back (due to the blood shortage) to people who donated blood, you couldn’t get in the door due to the crowd.

[Gravediggin’ mode on]

Just got refused in the company where they asked in an email for blood donations. Wife wanted the soap they gave away so she phoned our infirmary. They said Germans have mad cow from the Brits, so no thanks. :no-no:

Ok, if we put altruism aside, Saffie friend of mine had brain surgery here - twice. She got blood.
A fair few 'mosans have gotten blood too , after smashing bits about on the concrete in traffic.
My family has donated blood since the war. It’s just what you do.
I don’t mean to sound preachy, but jeeze, we’ve all got people in our lives who have benefited from others altruism. My nephew is alive because 3 Australians with rare platelet types went on rotation, making regular donations for several months, until he was strong enough to make his own. He is now a healthy 13 year old. I am so grateful to those strangers who helped out someone else’s baby.

[quote=“kage”]Ok, if we put altruism aside, Saffie friend of mine had brain surgery here - twice. She got blood.
A fair few 'mosans have gotten blood too , after smashing bits about on the concrete in traffic.
My family has donated blood since the war. It’s just what you do.
I don’t mean to sound preachy, but jeeze, we’ve all got people in our lives who have benefited from others altruism. My nephew is alive because 3 Australians with rare platelet types went on rotation, making regular donations for several months, until he was strong enough to make his own. He is now a healthy 13 year old. I am so grateful to those strangers who helped out someone else’s baby.[/quote]
I give blood when I go back to visit the old folks. That way, its going to people who actually want it.