Dong Hai University opinions?

Hey forum.

I’m a US college student, and I’m thinking of spending my summer rooming with my uncle’s family in Taizhong. The idea is that I’ll either learn to speak Chinese fluently… or become a reclusive hermit. My uncle doesn’t speak English, only Taiwanese and Mandarin, so it’ll be sort of sink or swim - fine by me. However, like most other people, his family and such have school and work to attend, and I don’t want to be stuck in the apartment all day by myself.

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the language program at Dong Hai University? Would it be worth taking? I’d probably take it as a supplemental resource - I already have a sort of “curriculum” and plan of study that I’ve laid out for myself, so I might get ahead in my Chinese courses next semester. If I don’t enroll for any classes, I’ll probably work for my uncle under the table. In any case, I’d love to hear anyone’s opinion on Dong Hai.

Studied there on a scholarship 10 years ago, it was hard but fantastic then. Small classes, you never really want to get into the habit of blaming teachers for your crap learning, anyway, but they were good.

Can’t imagine it has changed or deteriorated.

You’ll not be a hermit in Taichung for long, as there are lots of foreign escapes when you need to speak English, or to munch on western food, etc. In fact the only alarm I saw in your post was living with the family. You are old enough, etc, that they will let you go out by yourself and so on? Not get overly protective of their US rel?

HG

[color=green]Tunghai University has one of the best language programs in Taiwan. The intensive summer program is good because you are in classes all day and have creative communication assignments. The campus is beautiful and you can stay in a dormitory with local students if you want. It’s a great place to study. Of course if you want to be a hermit, you can, but really Taichung is a friendly and active city, so you will have lots to do. THU’s program is not the cheapest alternative, but it’s a strong program and a good place for highly motivated students. Check out the university websites for more information and pictures. www.thu.edu.tw[/color]

Great call. :bravo:

Everything he said.

HG

I’m almost positive I’m not going to fork over for the privelege of living in a dormitory when I can room for free with my relatives. Hearing that Dong1 Hai3 Da4 Xue2 is pretty good is not making my decision on what to do this summer any easier. Trouble is, I’ve got my own set of books & such that I have to self-study already if I want to place out of (as I hope to) two semesters of Chinese back home.

As for staying in, I have to confess that the issue is not my relatives keeping me in, but me being afraid of getting lost on the bus system. Plus, I can’t read fan2 ti3 zi4 to save my life. :blush: But I’m glad to know that Taizhong is not totally devoid of things to do if I decide I need a taco or something. Got any recommendations to where I ought to head out to? Or should I post in one of the other sub-forums? I’ll have to see if I can drag one of my cousins to come with, I suppose. My uncle’s place is sort of on the outskirts of the city, and getting lost in the big city is one of my big fears, especially when I can’t read the street signs. :smiley:

Street signs won’t help you no matter how good your reading is. Local buses? Are you nuts, or just piss poor?

You can mumble a few words of Chinese by the sound of it, so that’s all you need. Have mouth, never a need for a map.

As for self directed vs Tung Hai study. Tricky thing may be if they force fan ti on ya, which they likely will, but who knows? I’d check. You certainly will get more done with them than by yourself.

Check other threads on what’s on offer in Taichung.

HG

I think self study is great and I study every day on my own…but I also take classes. There is something about the structure that is good for me. Second, language learning that is geared toward your level will help you learn more quickly. If you are out and about trying to talk with people on the street based on the materials you have chosen for yourself, I think you may be quickly frustrated. Additionally, at the end of your summer, you may kick yourself for having not taken a class while you are here. The classes in Taiwan are cheap compared to those in the US and I think you should definately take advantage of that. Worst case is that you have a few hours of structured time every day to speak and practice your Chinese, best case is that you get an awesome teacher and class, so I think you can’t go wrong. You could spend the rest of your day with the materials you have picked for yoursef and then learn even more.

I have met many people who have self studied Chinese and many who have taken classes; In the end, the people who take classes and self study speak MUCH better Chinese than people who only do one or the other. Good luck!

[color=green]Just go. Come to Taiwan. Come to Tunghai if you want. Self-study if you want. Just stop worrying about it, get your ticket, pack a backpack, and get going. If you over-analyze everything you might miss out on some wonderful chances for adventure. And when you get here to your Uncle’s house, just head out the door and spend the whole day wandering around. Take their phone number along as a security, but I’m sure you will be able to get around in Taiwan. True, it’s easy to get lost here in the crazy streets, but it’s also true that easy to get found too. Just take the chance and go. Don’t miss out on this opportunity for an adventure in life.[/color]

Dong Hai Uni is good.
Studying there and talking to local students is the best way to improve your Chinese.
But My worry is the traffic.
I suggest you can take a bus not riding a scooter.