Don't be overzealous (Family Mart shoplifting case)

I think you should knock off the liquified tin foil daquiris for the night. You appear to be a dexolitre or two over your limit.

liquified tin foil daquiris

:eek: :face_vomiting:

That’s enough boorishness from you! Go outside and find yourself a nice trash can. Shoo!

Theft is theft.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TcOyoDIoQFQ

1 Like

in Taiwan, which is OP’s country btw, shoplifting of a 28NTD bottle water can go to appeal court.

Mithandir the lady asked for 4000nt and the court gave the maximum allowable 5000nt. That’s an increase.

Interesting case to read about.

OP did not want to settle and went to court. Lost, but had the opportunity to do community service instead of paying a fine. Shop owner and OP were within their rights.

In Taiwan stealing is extremely frowned upon. Such a reaction from a store owner can be expected. Especially if this happens to them on a regular basis.

Some shop owners get so frustrated with stealing of their merchandise they create a YouTube Channel.

2 Likes

Yeah, as has been noted, the OP’s interpretation of their native land’s Criminal Code is, at best, spotty, if not half-witted.

You said the court increased the fine. The court never increased the fine so your statement is factually incorrect.

in Taiwan, the owner’s behavior may not be seen as an extortion. the amount of money for reconciliation may be common and reasonable here.

If you read Chinese,

https://www.chinatimes.com/realtimenews/20140129002238-260402?chdtv

1 Like

The shop owner wasn’t extorting him, so nearly all your statements are factually incorrect.

The court charged him a higher figure than the shop owner requested. So it doesn’t seem like she was being unreasonable.

[remainder of post removed by moderator]

1 Like

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Why so much 𝖗𝖊𝖕𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖔𝖓? :dvd:

I couldn’t find any legal authority for the excerpts pasted below, and I don’t know Chinese, so reader beware. I’m using Google Translate, so it’s possible I’ve misunderstood the text quoted below. It’s also possible I’ve somehow “mis-pasted” one thing or another. In any case, I welcome corrections.

This first excerpt, from United Daily News, May 20, 2008 (reporter apparently 林良哲), involves the theft of sesame oil. There doesn’t seem to be an issue with the amount of the settlement, but the reporter seems to say that the matter had to be investigated regardless of the settlement:

http://city.udn.com/54532/2869114

The second excerpt, from Liberty Times, May 19, 2008 (apparently the same reporter, 林良哲), seems to express an idea similar to the one expressed in the quote pasted above, i. e., that the matter should be treated as a criminal matter regardless of the settlement, and also seems to add the idea that excessive settlement demands are contrary to law:

竊盜屬公訴罪 刑事難私了 - 社會 - 自由時報電子報

1 Like

Do you know the result of this case? I cannot find it.

有人說(1)超過商品原標售價格者,即屬不法利益;(2)超過商品標售價格,且「顯不相當」者,始構成不法利益,但顯不相當之標準如何?甚難劃一取捨;(3)商品售價本得合意約定,你情我願的交易,無不法利益問題

店家以「如果按偷竊之商品賠20倍金錢的話,就原諒"她"」的作法,應屬「合法性法律措施之利害告知」,要無惡害的意思,因此,上述第(3)之見解較為可採

1 Like

No, I don’t know the result. Given my lack of knowledge of Chinese, I was lucky to be able to find what little I found.

Another similar case.

https://www.rclaw.com.tw/post-270-4656

The clerk was prosecuted for extortion, but the court said innocent.

1 Like

Thanks, for the information, @tando.

Here are a couple of more news articles on one of the cases that I posted about earlier:

I’d better not try to interpret those two. :slight_smile:

Edited to add:

I thought I should add this, though, because something in the second article linked above made me curious. That article uses the term “黃牛.”

Here’s a Wikipedia article containing the title characters “黃牛”:

黃牛 (職業) - 維基百科,自由的百科全書

That Wikipedia article is another collection of Chinese characters that I’d better leave alone. :slight_smile:

I think she was unreasonable and greedy but the courts don’t think she was unreasonable and the society here generally probably don’t have a problem with it.

So I would have paid the fine because you can’t win in this situation .

1 Like

ADHD is hell. You can cope with it in the situations you mentioned but that has nothing to do with the situation in question

I’m sure that it is and I sympathise with anyone who suffers with it. However, while it can and should be a mitigating factor during sentencing we cannot have a legal system where people get a free pass for any condition.

3 Likes

I defer to your knowledge of the Chinese language and to your familiarity with Taiwanese society.