Don't buy this router

If your in the market for a wireless router DON’T buy this model:

D-LINK DI-624

It sucks.

It’s instable as hell. Drops both wireless and wired connections no less than 5 times a day. Especially if you are using torrents.

I’ve upgraded the firmware to the latest edition.

I bought it from “San Kuen” They wouldn’t let me return it.

I took it to the service center twice. The first time they replaced it with a new one. Same experience. The second time I requested a different model. They denied me.

You have been warned.

Buy this router instead!
Oops, not wireless, not the same. My bad :blush:

I have a Dlink router that had the same problems. Everyday, I’d have to reboot the sucker whenever I was doing heavy downloading. Frustrating as hell. However, in my case, I believe my problems were being caused by poor ventilation which led to over-heating because after having moved to a new place, my router has better ventilation and not once in two months have I had to reboot it.

I have a DI-524 with identical problems. It’s stable for a while but then times out and times again quickly. I can reboot the system but then it doesn’t last. So the only option is to remove the power cable and restart.

That’s the wireless setup. I tried connecting via a cable, but same problems. I only now use when I have a laptop. If I’m at home, I connect via the traditional PPPOE method. Far more stable.

it’s odd: my first dlink was great, but this was an ‘upgraded model’ from my first purchase. huh!

Kenneth

Thanks for the advice, I’ll steer clear of those and buy a more expensive buffalo, at least from past experience they’re stable.

[quote=“Salvatore Armani”]Buy this router instead!
Oops, not wireless, not the same. My bad :blush:[/quote]

can someone tell me where to get one of these? they dont sell it at B n Q (they only got laminate trimmers)

SMC, Corega … they are good …

A colleague of mine was able to locate some Netgear equipment in Taipei which is better than all the above for stability IME. My Zyxel is also a very solid performer within its limitations. Heard that the SMCs were good.

D-Link, only if you’ve got no other choice…

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]I have a DI-524 with identical problems. It’s stable for a while but then times out and times again quickly. I can reboot the system but then it doesn’t last. So the only option is to remove the power cable and restart.

That’s the wireless setup. I tried connecting via a cable, but same problems. I only now use when I have a laptop. If I’m at home, I connect via the traditional PPPOE method. Far more stable.

it’s odd: my first dlink was great, but this was an ‘upgraded model’ from my first purchase. huh!

Kenneth[/quote]I have this model and have never had any problems. My previous Dlink didn’t survive a power surge a year ago. Still, when this one goes, I doubt I’ll buy Dlink again.

Then perhaps we have to tweak the settings, but which ones?

Kenneth

I’m not a big fan of D-Link. If you set your computer to be part of a DMZ, it’ll work better than port forwarding. There was one at a former work place, doing that made the d-link pretty reliable.

D-Link has really jumped the shark. I used to have good luck with their gear but I went through three of their gigabit switches without having them work correctly. For routers I prefer Asus. Mostly because most models can have their firmware replaced by OpenWRT, but they also seem to be pretty decent quality otherwise. I’ve also had SMC routers and access points in the past that worked well. I had one bad experience with a Netgear router, but mostly because I bought a Pre-G router before they worked all the kinks out.

I would suggest a Belkin router. While mine did have some problems with acting stupid, I still think they are a good company.