Don't park in my driveway!

We’ve recently moved house and purchased a lovely new car.
Our new house is great, it has a nicely sized driveway, enough room to park 2 cars… and so my problem begins

3 level house, we occupy the 2 lower levels and there’s some assh0le that runs a dance studio on the 3rd

i should take some pictures… anyway (maybe later in an edit)

We let the assh0le park his shitbox on one side, and we put an old scooter on the other so people can’t park there. He isn’t here all the time, so his car is in and out like a Sydney whore (pardon my language).

Well, everyone that lives around here seems to enjoy taking advantage of our lovely parking space. Even if our car is in the garage with the door open they still park behind it.
Not only do they park on the driveway, but also park on the road blocking the driveway too! oh man this pisses me off to no end!

anyone got some sensible suggestions?

and if you want to type in some pinyin Chinese for me to shout out at them that would be nice… my Chinese goes as far as “Ni yow her summa?”

thanks in advance for your suggestions, I

Some bricks thrown from the 2nd floor or a baseball bat / sledge hammer should do the trick.

So who is calling me a lefty here!? :stuck_out_tongue:

Stick up a sign that reads “Private Parking Space. Violators will be Towed” in Mandarin. I have a number of friends who drive cars. They won’t park in spaces like that.

As to whether it’s legal for you to have someone’s car told, as your friendly neighborhood policeman.

happened to me yesterday… the door rolls up, i’m backing the car out the garage and…bang!.. a crappy little March parked smack across my garage door, despite warnings on the door, and large red lines on the road in front of my door…

as it turns out, there’s a place called the

thanks for the speedy replies!

towing…hmm grins and that $2000nt fine one sounds good too

Anyone want to type in some Chinese for me to shout out at them when they are in the process of parking there? translation too thanks :slight_smile:
(no bad language, I’ve got a reputation and potential customers as neighbours)

But if you want to teach me bad language, please do, I don’t know any! :x

It is so obvious in the case of Da Bian that it is a driveway. At first I thought it was probably one of those covered walkways outside a house, but no, this is a driveway. The driveway is private property??? A covered walkway is not private property. Da Bian should follow either of the above posters advice and teach the offenders a lesson.

“Damn, you parked your car here, yeah I know, people always key cars that park here. No, I don’t know who but it has cost me a fortune in paint jobs on my car. Best thing is not to park here again. Why not park over by XXAB over there.”

Install fake security cameras and warning signs and put up a huge picture of your first trophy car being towed away. “Look at what I caught”

Hmmm, I have a similar situation, although not as bad. The alley where the entrance to my parking garage is is really narrow. It’s marked with red paint the whole way in, and marked in Chinese as a no parking zone. That doesn’t stop a crap load of scooters parking there every night.

Thats not that big of a problem until they park against the wall opposite the entrance, which makes it very difficult to get in and out. It’s narrow enough, and tight enough of a squeeze w/o the scooters.

Most of the time, it’s usually easy to get out of the car and move the scooter, but when there’s multiple scooters, it just gets too tiring. Is there a number you can call to tell the police to come issue tickets? Or, have them towed? I’m sure in this economy, the city government would welcome the extra income. I have already asked the doorman, but they are reluctant to do anything or make any calls, and sort of cringe at the idea of having to call anyone.

Once I happened to be going into the garage when one of the offending scooter owners returned. I asked him not to park there in the future, as it makes it difficult for us to get in and out, and asked if he could
park further down the alley where there were no garages. He just gave me a smug look, ignored me and went about his business. WTF?!?

This isn’t just me either. There are 2 garages in this alley which park I would guess anywhere from 20-50 cars.

Any ideas?

you could try these:

extremely polite
“bu hao yi se, ma fan ni bu yao ting zhe li, zhe jiu shi wo men jia de che ku ru kou, pai sei, pai sei…”
(i’m terribly sorry, but could i trouble you to not park here, it’s our garage entrance. sorry sorry…)

polite
“xian sheng/xiao jie ni ting na bian hui dang zhu wo men de che la”
(sir/madam you’ll block our car by parking there)

impolite
“bai chi!, no kan bu dong zhong wen zi ma? na li xie de hen ming xian, “qing wu ting che!” ni wan quan mei you jiao yu hai shi zhen me yang?”
(idiot!, can’t you read chinese? it clearly says “no parking” are you completely uneducated or what?)

extremely impolite
as loud as possible, whilst pointing at the offender "gan!.. li cong sa xiao!.. "
(taiwanese: fck!.. what the fck do you think you’re doing?!..)

I used to carry a tube of Superglue. One squirt in the keyhole and Scooter Boy has got mondo problems.

[quote=“plasmatron”]you could try these:

extremely polite
“bu hao yi se, ma fan ni bu yao ting zhe li, zhe jiu shi wo men jia de che ku ru kou, pai sei, pai sei…”
(I’m terribly sorry, but could i trouble you to not park here, it’s our garage entrance. sorry sorry…)

polite

impolite
“bai chi!, no kan bu dong zhong wen zi ma? na li xie de hen ming xian, “qing wu ting che!” ni wan quan mei you jiao yu hai shi zhen me yang?”
(idiot!, can’t you read Chinese? it clearly says “no parking” are you completely uneducated or what?)

extremely impolite
as loud as possible, whilst pointing at the offender "gan!.. li cong sa xiao!.. "
(Taiwanese: fck!.. what the fck do you think you’re doing?!..)[/quote]

awesome :sunglasses: simply awesome

Don’t forget these people know where you live.

good point… you should only use the impolite and extremely impolite phrases if you’re willing to start a full scale dirty tricks parking feud, or failing that… wearing a bloody good disguise…

What about installing a chain accross the entrance way, hang a no parking sign off it in Chinese? A bit of a pain to take down everytime you want to go out, but that also might make the guy upstairs less likely to constantly come and go, won’t stop people parking on the roadsise blocking you, but it might deter them as well. If you want to spend a little more, install lockable ‘bollards’, like those in car parks, that can be unlocked and uprooted when you want to go in or out. I would definitely stay away from the impolite stuff, lest you want to have to frequently respray your car…I’d also go crazy with red paint on the road outside, to make it obvious to all but the dumbest that it’s a no parking zone, couple of boulders strewn about wouldn’t hurt either :wink: Buy some junker and leave it in the driveway and tell the guy upstairs that you’ve gotten a car for the wife and he can’t park there anymore.

From my long experience, I would suggest the very first thing you need to do is determine if indeed that area is legally yours. My initial guess is that it is not. A space in front of a building usually belongs to the entire building and the way it works is first-come, first-served…and then longevity. I have been parking my Vespa in the same spot under an awning for almost seven years. It was vacant by chance when I moved in and I took it. Everyone knows it’s my spot now. If I were to move, someone would scarf it up in an instant.
If the space is in fact yours, there are lift-up metal railings that you imbed in the asphalt at the end of your space. Only you have the key to raise and lower the sawhorse. Paint white lines and put up signs in the meantime.
Never piss off someone who either lives near you or could come back to you. Unless you are good friends with the local gangs or are packing heat and are not afraid to use it.

Words of wisdom from the wolfman. There’s just no way you are going to win a violent fight with someone local if they know where you live.

Words of wisdom from the wolfman. There’s just no way you are going to win a violent fight with someone local if they know where you live.[/quote]
I’ve always heard this from long-timers in Taiwan. Is it really true? I’d love to hear a real story or two.

The Landlord said to not let anyone park their cars on or in front of the driveway “It’s my land and nobody except my tenants can do it!” roughly in his words.

The assh0le dance studio guy said he’s been parking there (on the left) for 3 years… he can have it, I just want the right side - plus the whole front is our front door anyway, the assh0le has to use a back door to get in to the stairs and then to the 3rd floor. Really he shouldn’t be allowed to park there at all… but he’s moving at the end of the month, so I can live with it… for now

On IRC somebody suggested a spike strip (like what the cops use). I think I could make my own, I’ll use that when we’ve got the whole place to ourselves. :sunglasses:

and yes yes, non violent of course… the only heat i’m packing is a BB gun and maybe a hot fart :blush:

That assumes that they’re around when you are trying to get in the garage. Usually they are not. Just tonight, again, someone came back to his scooter as I was trying to squeeze in, and I went the extremely polite method (as I did last time to the F***er who just gave me a smug look and ignored me), and the guy was nice about it. He acknowledged me and apologized. Even so, chances are he’ll probably still park there again if no one’s around. :unamused:

The only real solution I think is to have some enforcement action until the word gets out not to park there. Problem is, how to make that happen?

:frowning:

[quote=“plasmatron”]you could try these:

extremely polite
(I’m terribly sorry, but could i trouble you to not park here, it’s our garage entrance. sorry sorry…)

polite

impolite
(idiot!, can’t you read Chinese? it clearly says “no parking” are you completely uneducated or what?)

extremely impolite
(Taiwanese: fck!.. what the fck do you think you’re doing?!..)[/quote]

Hahaha, I thought of doing things to the offending scooters, most effective of which, I think would have been to unbolt and take their license plates, which would effectively make the scooter illegal to ride, and they would be off the road until they went through the hassle of getting new plates.

But, I don’t think many of the people would make the connection as to why things were happening to their scooters. Most of them are oblivious people who follow the lemming mentality: “Well, other people parked there, so I will too”.

It’s also a really high traffic area here, so someone is bound to see you at some point when you get out of the car to do whatever it is you’re about to do. Then, they know what car is yours, and that can lead to more problems later.

I used to carry a tube of Superglue. One squirt in the keyhole and Scooter Boy has got mondo problems.[/quote]

I like the SUPERGLUE idea! They won’t be sure who done it…

But, I wouldn’t do this to someone who I’ve confronted first. They would know it was me and surely do something back that is even more childish.

The offender wouldnt know it was me if it was the first time he parked there. But, he probably wouldnt park there again!!!