Dont post your law breaking on youtube if you wanna speed

The “acceptable” here is defined by political consensus. For example German highways do not have speed limits - because accident rate is not alarming (in fact pretty low) compared to other countries and public opinion is against limits.
Such speeds would appear (and probably be due to driving culture) dangerous when implemented in Taiwan so the politicians would oppose it.

You are right that the objective method of defining acceptable risk may not exist but it is irrelevant.

BTW similar applies to lossy compression technology (video or audio) - it is generally agreed that objective measures of errors/distortion do not represent well actual perceived by consumer quality of the image/sound.

And that’s an issue with me as polyticians have never once asked me for my opinion on the issue of “speeding”. Have they ever asked you? Have they ever asked anyone here?
Seems to me that polyticians try to make their own rules. I’m glad that at least we have common laws which should protect us from these made up statutes. With some luck and a dash of education on common law, perhaps people will understand that these types of things are subjective.

we aint all so different.

video.ca.msn.com/watch/video/pol … a-infopane

Lets keep in mind that laws are made for the common denominator. The guy on that superbike was extremely talented. But the fact is that someone else doing just that could very well kill himself and take out many others on the freeway. And that fact is what laws are all about. Laws are about being equal. None are supposed to be above the law because then if its ok for one, then its ok for many and then we have a problem. Therefore they are created for the common good but are dummied down to what the average person is capable of. They are thus not made or designed for expert or brilliant persons. They are often there to protect us from ourselves.

Taiwan freeway speed limits are now largely up from the former 90kph to 110kph in many sections. This is still too low, but is there because the govt does not think the average taiwanese driver is up to it (and they are most likely right here).

If taiwanese drove as well as germans do in general the taiwan speed limits could comfortably be raised to 150kph max or even more in certain stretches. But the fact is that the taiwan driving public is most certainly not up to the task.

Just look at the recent clip of a car driving straight into a car on the freeway. Now this was at night and that is something that even better drivers could perhaps not see as well.

But in general do you think the average taiwanese driver is up to 150kph on the freeways?

The laws are designed for the common man/woman and suited to their abilities.

I hope you’re not suggesting what I think you are! You mean we should all be locked up for our driving discrepancies?

Which one are you owning up to first on your list. Running a red? Speeding? Parking on red? Not buckling up until after the vehicle was in motion? Driving under the influence? Not paying your insurance on time?

If we were all held accountable to statute laws, then we’d all have criminal records by now for dangerous driving.

I hope you’re not suggesting what I think you are! You mean we should all be locked up for our driving discrepancies?

Which one are you owning up to first on your list. Running a red? Speeding? Parking on red? Not buckling up until after the vehicle was in motion? Driving under the influence? Not paying your insurance on time?

If we were all held accountable to statute laws, then we’d all have criminal records by now for dangerous driving.[/quote]

Actually you may be surprised to know that I have never run a red light, but have been caught for speeding a few times in taiwan and the usa and have paid the price and now am very law abiding in my driving. I can be said to have driven under the influence in taiwan if speaking strictly of the very strict limits now in place. But i most certainly do not drink and drive anymore due to the very strong consequences of even slightly being over the strict limits.

Im not saying i aint sinned against the traffic laws, we all have im sure. But the laws are designed for the common man. They are a bit too strict for many. But then they are not always enforced to the T.

Case in point in the bay area. The limit is 65 but most drive closer to 75mph. You do risk a ticket at 75mph but most cops will let you slide, but to be safe(r) i drive at 70mph mostly. And while this is technically over the limit, most cops wont pull you over for doing 70 in a 65 as almost everyone is also at 70 and many are over that. But i was pulled over in the city limits for doing 30mph in a 25mph zone and fined 250 dollars !! So sometimes they do stick to the letter of the law.

And at that time it was near midnite and absolutely no other vehicles were on the street. I endangered nobody by going 30mph instead of 25mph on that rather large two lane. And yes i felt it was not right to ticket me in that instance but laws are made for 24/7 and for the common man.

I think a lot of limits should be set higher though. LIke I think Taiwan freeways should be set at 130kph as the max (with tickets forthcoming if you exceed 140kph). And maybe this will happen in the near future…maybe.

Doing what the motorcyclist was doing is considered reckless driving in most any country. And its because freeways are not meant to be racetracks. He should practice that while on a race on race track where others are also professional talented riders. The general public is not up to those standards.

And that’s where my issue lies, because we are all guilty of something. If we were all to be locked up for “dangerous driving”, which is subjective and prosecuted for dangerous+anything, then we’d all be screwed.
I’m sometimes glad that there aren’t more enforcement officers on the road. :blush:.
If we are to hand more and more power to subjective style law enforcement, then we are to accept our own fates as criminals.
I would say from experience that considerate driving/riding comes from pro-active education, and not from reactive law enforcement. We can see that in Taiwan for example where the education is short and weak and where traffic violations reign supreme.

car ownership as well as driving a car will in future be gone. We will jump into an auto driven by computers. And hopefully it wont f*ck up.

Hopefully.

[quote=“Pingdong”]we aint all so different.

video.ca.msn.com/watch/video/pol … a-infopane[/quote]

This is from my municipality (Saanich). They found out who likely did it. Dude didn’t have a license and had 27 or so previous traffic violations. Still likely won’t get arrested even though he went 300KM per hour. It was his mom’s bike and she’ll get the fines. The bike has been confiscated.

Unless you live in Switzerland with all their referenda or are an expert in specific area (with political connections) it is not likely politicians will ever ask you directly about anything.
Direct democracy is not very feasible (yet - perhaps in the future we will vote using your smartphones)

[quote]common laws which should protect us from these made up statutes
[/quote]

How detailed common laws need to be to cover traffic law?

And that’s an issue with me as polyticians have never once asked me for my opinion on the issue of “speeding”. Have they ever asked you? Have they ever asked anyone here?
Seems to me that polyticians try to make their own rules. I’m glad that at least we have common laws which should protect us from these made up statutes. With some luck and a dash of education on common law, perhaps people will understand that these types of things are subjective.[/quote]

Some cars are already driving with that speed (weaving left and right).
My guess is that it could be done with proper education and enforcement. I just do not know if there is demand for it and if it would really cut travel time as most of the highways are clogged reducing the average speed to well below the limit.

if you are going the length, do yourself a favor and drive #3.

but yeah, the day Taiwanese are given the go ahead on higher speeds is the day i move somewhere with an mrt.