Don't touch my cheese

We all know that food prices went up … including cheese … but Wellcome really is OTT … 120 grams of Gouda for 168 NT$ …
Makes it as expensive as caviar … well almost … anyways, ordinary Gouda for 1,400NT$/kilo … simply ridiculous …

So, that makes the average topping on my slice of bread (20 gr.) costing like 33.6 NT$ …

how about making cheese here? the price of local milk has not shifted… and I bet there are not many others who make cheese in taiwan.

And it’s crap gouda, too. Try 400g of reblochon de Savoie from Carrefour. NT$279.

There is one Swiss guy that makes cheese, somewhere in Chungli I was told …

But I differ with you on the milk, I would say that the price of milk in Taiwan has sprung up 30% since last year … price of milk has shifted worldwide about 30% upwards, but not to make ordinary cheese worth 1,400NT$/kg … it could be that Wellcome is gauged by it’s cheese manufacturer, or they have lot’s cheese to throw away … but then, isn’t it like the chicken and the egg … make it cheaper and people will buy … or look for another manufacturer, there are plenty Gouda manufacturers in Holland and Belgium that do it cheaper for the same quality or better … Wellcome’s Gouda is probably the very young (1 month aged only) to give it the bland taste Taiwanese prefer …

Costco is still a cheese lover’s paradise: excellent mature English cheddar (“Coastal”) for just over 200NTD; massive chunks of Gran Padano parmesan for about 300, it’ll last for months. Pepperjack cheese, 900g, only 220NTD. Good mozzerell’ for cheap. It’s good!

I always gets me milk from me Ma. I mean, from family mart downstairs and i hadn’t noticed any change. maybe i’m just blind drunk when i go shopping. possible.

I am enjoying my sharp cheddar bar (227 grams/8oz) from Safeway for 2.50 plus tax. Its their store brand (lucerne) but not bad. Half gallon of Safeways organic chocolate milk (truly the best choco milk iv ever had anywhere) for 3.75 plus tax.

HOw does that compare with over in your neck of the woods?

A lot of the deli cheeses tend to run bout 5.99 for 8 oz or so at Safeways.