Door and Minimum Charges

At reasonable prices sandman

Bob is the out-of-wedlock lovechild of Highway Star and Tavern Captain. The family resemblance is astonishing. Frying Scotsman fuels their lust-filled couplings with high protein, high carb meals.[/quote]

At reasonable prices Sandman

sorry done that twice![/code][/quote][/u][/i][/b]

If TeePeeBob wants to cut down on space-wasting riff-raff, How come I was allowed in the other day ?

If I can get in so can you Mathew!

[quote=“Taverncaptain”]As the poll shows, most people that have participated in it, do think that minimum charges are fine. On this, obviously the only single purpose to run i.e. a Pub is to make a profit. Profits come from good sales. Good sales comes from making customers feel comfortable so they keep on returning.

On another note, I tried to go to that place called Mint at the 101 last Saturday about 3’30am (so one could rather say it was Sunday Morning). A thinktank on the door said that Males pay 1000NT$ and Females pay 750NT$ and get one drink so I said something that I am glad the opponent did not understand and cannot reprint it here :noway: and stumbled back to where that long and rather wet Saturday evening started a few hours earlier.[/quote]

Actually many people who have commented have said that they agree with a cover charge only if they get something from it and not just the joy of attending on peak nights.

Anyhow, I find it astonishing that you suggest that a cover charge is acceptable in your establishment and not in another? Yes, their charge was excessive but it is designed to do exactly what yours does: keep out the undesirables (as this place sees them) and maximize profits.

I don’t have that much trouble with minimum charges other than the fact that it limits my options and I think it wrong in a pub (as in a bookstore or a cafe). A minimum charge means, in most cases, I have to spend more time in your place than I may want. Fine, go somewhere else comes the well thought out response. Well, this thread was started to solicit opinions. This thread is about what the consumer wants. It is not about how the Taverncaptain can solve his problem with freeloaders.

I don’t like the idea that the main reason that has been repeatedly stated for a minimum charge is simply to make MORE money for a bar that is already charging high prices for their product. When I pay more I expect more. If TC had mentioned that he will ensure that on minimum charge nights there are more wait staff on, service will be tops, drinks will be stiff, food the best it can be, etc, etc, then I can see that at least the bar is showing a smidgen of concern about its customers and not simply as they serve to make it richer.

I don’t appreciate the candor expressed above. Honestly, that kind of bald statement about profits should only be mentioned amongst friends. I can’t recal any business I have ever dealt with where the management would be so crude as to ask if I mind that they charge me more money simply because they aren’t making as much as they want to on peak nights.

Yes, I agree that the problem of freeloaders is a potentially serious one for bars in Taipei. However, the discussion on this matter could have handled so much more tactfully and professionally and humbly by all three food and beverage managers. Talk of profits and getting rid of the riff-raff is just wrong on every level. :unamused:

It isn’t the cover that bothers me, it is the damn line to get in on weekends. I hate the fact that I am not riff-raff but still have to wait in line while others breeze in just because they’re buddy-buddy with the owners and have some plastic card. I like your place, but Studio 54 it ain’t. I’ve plunked down lots of cash at your place and I still have to wait in line. I’ve even danced on your bar–TWICE–and what do I get? NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

MM,

I am in the F&B business, and while I do not charge any cover, minimum or service charge (for the record) my situation is somewhat different to that of Bob and TC or any other bar/club type establishment.

In relation to the term ‘Riff raff’ used within this thread, I assumed the term is meant as no more than a bit of fun, so chill on that one!

In relation to how, why or when establishments charge a cover, it is not for me to comment on how Bob & TC run their establishments, the poll question simply asked if people thought it was reasonable for establishments to make a charge, the results quite clearly state that this is acceptable to the majority to make such a charge providing they get something for it, as a frequent visitor to both Carnegies and Tavern, I know that at both these establishments you do get something included within their charge.

The management at Carnegies goes further (as described in Bobs posting earlier) by issuing member cards, in my book this is a much better way to deal with this particular issue, however, TC has a much greater problem with this subject than most, he runs a successful sports bar, with not many places showing live football many young locals attend and expect to just sit in his bar and watch the match for free, taking up space/seats from paying customers, how would you suggest he deals with that issue? or do you think it is okay for five or six to come in, order one drink between them ( or bring their own in) and sit for 3, 4 or 5 hours watching his Sat Tv feed?

I note that you are a teacher, one assumes that the pupils at your school pay for the privilige, are you saying it is okay for ‘customers’ to come in and sit down in your class and watch your blackboard at no charge? or pay for one lesson and attend 3? One wonders how you would be paid if this was the case. Does your school not a price on the customers heads? and expect all to pay a minimum when they attend your establishment?

It isn’t the cover that bothers me, it is the damn line to get in on weekends. I hate the fact that I am not riff-raff but still have to wait in line while others breeze in just because they’re buddy-buddy with the owners and have some plastic card. I like your place, but Studio 54 it ain’t. I’ve plunked down lots of cash at your place and I still have to wait in line. I’ve even danced on your bar–TWICE–and what do I get? NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.[/quote]

I note that you have posted here on this forum often in various threads and that you have danced on the bar ‘twice’ during the 500+ nights where dancing on the bar has been facilitated and yet we have no udea who you are. Perhaps you might consider a more pro-active approach. Send me a PM and tell me who you are and perhaps I can ask my staff as to who you are and see about getting you a card. It’s not that difficult. Or call me on the number below. I am no ogre and am perfectly approachable. It’s an open invite but we don’t issue membership cards to online handles so the onus is on you to come forward. In confidence as I wouldn’t contemplate revealing your details to others here on this forum.

Regards,

Bob

:bravo:

That needed to be said and for all the self-righteous indignation my agrreeing with Duncan may incur, he is absolutely right. We run businesses and we have an obligation to shareholders to show a return. It is a harsh reality of life that things cost money. One can’t buy a Roller for the price of a Mini. If one cannot afford prices being charged for anything then adjust one’s perspective or work harder to get what you want but to state that we are charging for food drink and service an unreaonable amount simply because it lies outside of one’s own bounds of fiscal affordability is a subjective criteria and erroneous and misplaced. I have, and shall continue to allow the majority of our patrons judge whether what we do is correct and acceptable but I will never, and neither should anyone in any industry pander to the lowest common denominator of the fiscally challenged. If one cannot afford what is on offer, then don’t enter the market but as long as those who deem it a right to impose their freeloading ‘skills’ on a commercial enterprise exist in abundance, then we have every right to take measures to protect ourselves from them and by extension offer our patrons the environment and product they expect and are happy to pay for. It’s pretty simple really.

Thanks Dunc. You said what needed to be said. :notworthy:

Bob

[deleted]

For the record: I AM riff raff but I managed to drink 3 litres of Rum N Coke. Which btw, did not take up valuable time nor service from your staff because I was situated 2 feet between the front door and bar.

Thanks Bob. :smiley:

Absodrinkinglutley!!!

and TPEBob, whats with the rant? A bit off topic if you ask me. Leash the beast.

Chou

[quote=“chodofu”][and TPEBob, whats with the rant? A bit off topic if you ask me. Leash the beast.

Chou[/quote]

I deleted it but to be honest it was totally on-topic and absolutely true. As you read it, imagine that multiplied by thousands of instances and we would have no business. It was a very clear example of the disrespect and resource-wasting behaviour some expect and at times demand we accommodate. But by deleting it, I concede that it was a little insensitive. Cathartic though.

Bob

What would happen if you started charging for bottled water? Say, of an Italian quality vintage in a still or sparkling variety.

What would happen if you started charging for bottled water? Say, of an Italian quality vintage in a still or sparkling variety.[/quote]

Well, we do charge for bottled water. I am sure that they would still demand regular water though as this an issue of means not selection of beverage. I am right out of the '96 San Pellegrino at the moment but perhaps I could interest you in the '06 Perrier or upon special request the Appolinaris '03?

Cheers & good to see you again last night. Hope everything was to your satisfaction.

Bob

Whilst I was getting educated on the rules of the NFL games, I missed a few. Mucha Man, I have been to Mint before which is why I have chosen not to pay the fees I was asked to pay and tried to state (between the lines) that I accept such fees only if I feel they are reasonable and justified. Been to Carnegies the same night, did not pay an entrance fee but we kept one waitress (who did a great job on a very busy night) busy all the time (by the way, I enjoyed the ladies on the bar that were mentioned in another thread but then I am over 30 too).

For the record, it actually has not been necessary for the management of the Tavern-Premier to charge minimum charges for quite some time as the people Duncan refered to, luckily found some other establishments with an unlimited rescource of ice water and a screen or two.

I really do not understand where this idea comes from that beer prices in Pubs/Bars in Taiwan are in general expensive. I find the prices charged at i.e. the Tavern-Premier and Carnegies absolutely okay where cleaness, service and entertainment are of a very high standard. Certainly would not find them okay in a hole in the wall place.

[quote=“TpeBob”]Cheers & good to see you again last night. Hope everything was to your satisfaction.

Bob[/quote]

A work night made enjoyable by a great atmosphere and good food.

Intellectual propety issues were covered by a bedraggled pair at the bar then out onto the balcony for engineering specs and parts sourcing. Sorry about the product samples strewn all over the place.

[quote=“TpeBob”]I deleted it but to be honest it was totally on-topic and absolutely true. As you read it, imagine that multiplied by thousands of instances and we would have no business. I was a very clear example but by deleting it, I concede that it was a little insensitive. Cathartic though.

Bob[/quote]I know you love me really bob, And that you were being sarcastic because I already had a burger and chips and a beer while you were in bed saving up energy for the obviously hard time ahead of you. And I’ve never even been in Bob’s toilet, and not with Okami, so we can stop those rumours right now.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“TpeBob”]I deleted it but to be honest it was totally on-topic and absolutely true. As you read it, imagine that multiplied by thousands of instances and we would have no business. I was a very clear example but by deleting it, I concede that it was a little insensitive. Cathartic though.

Bob[/quote]I know you love me really bob, And that you were being sarcastic because I already had a burger and chips and a beer while you were in bed saving up energy for the obviously hard time ahead of you.[/quote]

:grrr:

Bob