Door to door shipping company, Taiwan to UK

After finding out that the post office has stopped providing a shipping service to the UK, my wife and I have been looking for a private shipping company who will provide a door to door service, so we can send all our stuff back.

A few companies will only ship the goods to ports in the UK, not providing a door to door service. One company will do a door to door service, but we would be required to go to the actual port (near London) and sign for it - then it would be loaded onto a lorry and taken to our home, this is less than ideal as I live in the North East of England.

I was wondering, does any body know any reliable shipping companies that will do door to door, from Taiwan to the UK… that won’t require me to go down to the sea port and sign for it in person?

Cheers

Any moving company should be able to do that. Suggest you contact Asian Tigers or Allied Pickfords/Transworld International for example.

Thanks, I’ll check them out.

From all the companies we’ve contacted in Taiwan so far, it doesn’t seem as simple as we had guessed.

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/

We used this firm to get our stuff Uk to Taiwan, door to door, no port signing (port signing ???) required. All turned out Ok. Dunno how their prices measure up, or if you can do Taiwan to Uk with them, but take a look.

[quote=“Nuit”]http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/

We used this firm to get our stuff Uk to Taiwan, door to door, no port signing (port signing ???) required. All turned out Ok. Dunno how their prices measure up, or if you can do Taiwan to Uk with them, but take a look.[/quote]

Cheers, I’ll check them out as well.

Ah, like I said, it seems like since the (1st or the 5th) of May, there’s been a bit of a change around and it’s having knock on effects - or so I’ve been told.

Seems like 7 seas don’t ship from Taiwan.

I thought the port signing was a bit odd and kind of defeated the purpose of a door to door service, hah - the cost of train tickets from Newcastle to London plus over night accommodation would probably be more expensive than the original shipping fees!

I got a quotation from Allied Pickfords, which includes full door to door service: Taipei to South Shields (UK). The overall weight comes to around 260kg. They’re asking for 49,500NT, does anyone think that’s too expensive or is that just what people pay these days?

When the post office was sending by sea we could have done it for about 20,000NT… but that’s not an option anymore.

Actually - at that rate, it would just be cheaper sending what we have back by air! Post office gave me a new quote NT4000 per 20kg!

Moving companies charge by volume, not by weight, so unless you state the volume it’s not possible to say if it’s cheap or not.

Moving companies charge by volume, not by weight, so unless you state the volume it’s not possible to say if it’s cheap or not.[/quote]

It came to 90 cubic feet, but they have a minimum charge of 100. Normally I work in meters and centimeters, I have 10 boxes, they’re all 40cm by 60cm by 60cm. All in all, not a lot.

The main issue is since when did sending by surface cost more than sending by air???

In their defence, they do personally hand-wrap everything, use their own wooden crates, fumigate for ants or whatever - really give it the works and I recon if I was well rich and wanted to move a whole load of posh furniture, then I’d probably give them a go. The fact is all I’m sending are boxes of my books and the wife’s clothes, so they don’t really need a lof of pampering or a luxury cruise. It just sucks that the post office has stopped sending by surface, they had a really good service before - like I said, I could have sent all my stuff door to door for around NT20,000 ~ not the whopping NT49,000 with 5% tax (which taked it over the 50 mark) that they’re asking for.

That’s the same amount I shipped from Taiwan to HK, and it cost me 40k (+tax +insurance +storage). It was the cheapest offer that I got at the time. I had to use a moving company since I took my TV (42") and hifi setup along, as well they take care of all the custom formalities etc. which I can’t be bothered with.

As you already pointed out there is quite a difference in the service offered, and a moving company may not be able to compete with airmail when you only want to move smaller items. So it might be cheaper in your case but maybe not when you move an entire houshold including furniture etc.

40K was our price limit, but they were 10k over. Yeah, I can see how useful they’d be if you had really large, delicate and expensive stuff to send and sending by air wasn’t an option.

We’ll probably just re-pack all of our stuff, seeing what we really need and just sending it by air instead.

Cheers for suggesting those companies, even though I won’t be using them this time, perhaps the next time we move and have bigger stuff to shift we will :slight_smile: