Doorbell voltage in Taiwan? 16-24V?

Anyone know if the same 16-24V standard is used here? I ordered a video doorbell that can be used wirelessly, but I’d rather write it and forgo battery charging.

As I know they vary, so your best bet would be to research the brand/model of the current door bell system and see what they use.

Update: Engineer here says AC 24V and DC 12V.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I took off the old one last night and the voltmeter read 10.3v, which isn’t enough for a wired video doorbell but is enough to wire the wireless one and trickle charge the battery. That should prolong the time between charges and work with my existing chime hopefully.

Is there a way for you to just use a power supply and hook it up to standard line voltage?

1 Like

I could change the transformer to 24v. They aren’t very expensive, but I’ll try it on the 10v first and see how it goes. I could rig a power supply up to the charging terminals, but it would probably invalidate my fire insurance if something happened.

I don’t know but there are a bunch of things about Taiwanese wiring that would definitely invalidate fire insurance.

But couldn’t you use a wall wort type of thing to plug into the wall?

Nothing with Taiwanese wiring would be insurable in Ohio.

Hey, that’s not fair. There’s only three things that electrocute me in my apartment (computer case, Instant Pot, and dish-drying oven).

Besides the way houses are built in Taiwan, there’s nothing to burn!

Unless you live in those tin shacks…

The charging port isn’t accessible while the battery is in the doorbell and the battery must be inserted for usage. I could strip the wires from a wall wort and attach them to the terminals, which is what the doorbell wiring already does. I doubt 10v vs 24v makes much difference in trickle charging.