Doors open and close opposite way

Does anyone ever notice that many doors open and close the opposite way? Normally when you go out you should push the door but many places you have to pull the door toward you. This is considered a fire hazard because if many people have to leave a place because of an emergency it should be easy to get out by pushing the door out rather than pulling the door. Anyone know the reason?

If they didn’t open and close the opposite way, no-one would be able to get anywhere.

Got a laugh out of me.

I wondered about this too. What you will find though is that most doors in Taiwan go both ways, they will say ‘Pull’ on the way out and ‘Push’ on the way in (opposite to the Fire Marshall’s design) but they usually open either way.

There is a reason for this, if everyone pushed out, they would constantly be clipping the mindless plonks who pollute the overcrowded sidewalks of fair Formosa. I can just see me hurrying out of a restaurant, pushing the door open only to take some old fuck and his scooter to ground. Too many sidewalks are thru-ways here making a ‘push out’ door too dangerous.

Never noticed that. What I dont like is walking into one of those glass doors that you thought would open electrically and it wasnt electric? They open sideways, but what happens when there is no power, can you still push them aside?

And what about those Taiwan TV shows that operate with audience participation?

Large notices on the screen that says → “Call Out!

I’m still waiting for them to call me…never a ring from them… :idunno:

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]I wondered about this too. What you will find though is that most doors in Taiwan go both ways, they will say ‘Pull’ on the way out and ‘Push’ on the way in (opposite to the Fire Marshall’s design) but they usually open either way.

There is a reason for this, if everyone pushed out, they would constantly be clipping the mindless plonks who pollute the overcrowded sidewalks of fair Formosa. I can just see me hurrying out of a restaurant, pushing the door open only to take some old fuck and his scooter to ground. Too many sidewalks are thru-ways here making a ‘push out’ door too dangerous.[/quote]

Of course. If door only swing inwards then the locals can still push in before those inside can get out thus making it the same system as the MRT and most elevators. Makes sense!

It’s the same in the UK, or at least it was in the parts of London where I lived, most doors only open into the flat/shop etc and from what I was told, this was done so you don’t hit other people in the face with the door.
What beats me is the fire door at the ground floor where I live now, it has the emergency release bar on the outside and it goes into the stairwell…
In other words, if there’s a fire here, I’m climbing out the window…

One thing that drives me up the wall is the light switches in my apartment being placed behind the door so I have to open the door and then walk around it to turn on the light. completely mental and consistently applied throughout the building.

Don’t think too much cha bu douism.

[quote]One thing that drives me up the wall is the light switches in my apartment being placed behind the door so I have to open the door and then walk around it to turn on the light. completely mental and consistently applied throughout the building.

Don’t think too much cha bu douism.
[/quote]

Simple matter of Feng Shuei:
the essence of electricity would dissipate easily through open doors running up your electricity bills.

You should be thankful living in a building designed up the highest standards of metaphysical construction codes.

[quote=“pb”]
Simple matter of Feng Shuei:
the essence of electricity would dissipate easily through open doors running up your electricity bills.[/quote]

Doh! Thanks for the enlightenment. Again my hairy barbarianism got the better of me. :bow: