Doorstepped by the Immigration Agency

Not a lawyer but I doubt that. Labor standards protect the rights of a third party hence they need to inspect whether the employee you benefit from is being treated fairly. There is no third party here.

2 Likes

That’s true. But again, not cooperating with them can’t improve the situation.

Cooperating with them also didn’t improve your situation either. If it was me id tell them to f right off and get a warrant if they want in.

As others already said since the damage is done you need to find out what happened and why

7 Likes

HG has nothing to hide. It’s better to cooperate, as he is doing absolutely nothing wrong.

I agree however that a visit to immigration, pronto, to ask what is going on here would be a good idea—especially if HG has documents from the courts showing no charges.

Guy

4 Likes

Everyone’s a hero on these boards.

Or just cautious as this is a common scam here.

It could be related to your other matters as well. You never know. Protect yourself and your family.

4 Likes

Sounds to me like they got an “anonymous” tip that you were here illegally in some sense. Probably not much you can do about it. That black mark (whatever that means) seems like nonsense, though, and definitely worth following up on.

3 Likes

Sure, because the innocent have nothing to fear from government :roll_eyes:

The point here is that it isn’t entirely obvious that the “official” actually was who he said he was. And if he was, it isn’t clear that he was properly doing his job; it could well be that his superiors would be appalled if they knew. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with politely telling someone who appears to be an official that something doesn’t smell right and therefore you can’t co-operate without further validation of his credentials.

Obviously HG was put on the spot here and what’s done is done. But it could be that a followup (again, a polite one) will yield results.

9 Likes

I already explained there is no question he was an official from the Immigration Agency.

1 Like

If you’re certain about that, then his approach seems highly unorthodox and it would be as well to make further inquiries just to ensure he’s not going to make trouble for you. People’s experiences with immigration here have been a bit hit-and-miss, but I’ve never heard of anything remotely like this and it could be that he’s up to something untoward even if he is technically employed by the DOI. Bad eggs in government are not unheard-of.

3 Likes

Actually, we all want to know what happened and why.

From my perspective, it’s kinda frightening. No crime, you’re legally here, legally married, yet immigration is photographing your home, unannounced.

It’s dystopian.

10 Likes

He may be an offical but was he conducting offical business?

7 Likes

Yes. Doesn’t seem to matter how many times I state this.

3 Likes

Just disgusting.

What’s the plan now? Consult with a lawyer and make a formal complaint?

1 Like

Taking pictures of your bedroom is not official business.

6 Likes

Yes, it was. Deal with that fact.

2 Likes

How could they possibly have any official need for a picture of your bedroom? It’s voyeuristic and a complete invasion of your privacy.

6 Likes

He was gathering evidence re whether my marriage is real.

That was already done when you got your marriage visa presumably, and there’s no law that says married couples have to sleep in the same bedroom. The fact that you’re living together should be more than enough evidence.

11 Likes

I thought you had a gold card?