Dos Chinos, tacos and burgers

Dos Chinos
Tong Hua street, lane 38, no. 8
Taipei city
0976 569 683
burgers, tacos, beer

Nice little joint run by - surprise, surprise, 2 friendly Chinese guys who speak English and Chinese.
Friend of mine took me there tonight. Had a delicious pulled pork burger. Great bun, don’t know how to describe it. But it wasn’t sugary bread. The tender pork melted in my mouth.
Also had a chorizo and egg burger. They make their own chorizo in patty form. Yummy.
The prices are reasonable, and a can of soda is only $35NT.
Didn’t try the tacos, but the other customers raved about them.
I will definitely go back and I highly recommend this place.

Pffxxxtttt…

Went to the trouble of tracking this place down today Sunday at lunch time 1230.

Closed, all the other shops are open. There are no signs with opening and closing times. Cannot see the sign from Tunghua Street so just walk n look if you feel worth your time as they apparently only open at random hours.

According to their Facebook page, happy hour starts at 12pm on Friday nights and goes to 1:30am. Things are looking up. It also says they open at 5:30pm on weekends.

[quote=“tango42”]Pffxxxtttt…

Went to the trouble of tracking this place down today Sunday at lunch time 1230.

Closed, all the other shops are open. There are no signs with opening and closing times.

Cannot see the sign from Tunghua Street so just walk n look if you feel worth your time as they apparently only open at random hours.[/quote]
Glad you wrote that, because this sounded so good I was getting ready just now to travel to Taipei from Taoyuan just to try it. Thanks for saving me a wasted trip :sunglasses:

Their hours are posted on the facebook page, right?

hi sorry for any inconvenience, but we are not open for lunch on saturday and sunday and we are closed on tuesday. our happy hours are only on friday and saturday night from 11pm to 1230am. our hours are posted below and if you want up to date information please checkout our Facebook page www.facebook.com/doschinostw

we are located on tong hua street lane 38 no. 8. we are one block away from the tonghua night market

Monday (禮拜一)12:00pm to 3:30pm and 5:30pm to 10pm
Tuesdays (禮拜二) Closed
Wednesday (禮拜三)12:00pm to 3:30pm and 5:30pm to 10pm
Thursday (禮拜四) 12:00pm to 3:30pm and 5:30pm to 10pm
Friday (禮拜五)12:00pm to 3:30pm and 5:30pm to 12:30am
Saturday (禮拜六)5:30pm to 12:30am
Sunday (禮拜日)5:30pm to 10pm

@doschinostw
:thumbsup: Thanks for clearing this up and providing the link to your Facebook page. I’m looking forward to trying it out.

I can go through the extraneous details or just sum it up… the open face Tacos’ are YUMMMMMMMMMY!!! and really really really (that’s 1 really each for 1 pork, 1 pork/chorizo, 1 chorizo) hit the spot. The meat is flavored terrifically and the shell is fresh with good texture and color.

Actually, I ordered 3 more to go and gobbled them down as soon as I got home… thinkin’ I need some more.

Yo quiero! I will definitely visit next time I’m on the city.

Great tacos.
Closest thing to authentic “taco truck” tacos opened by the Mexican immigrants in Los Angeles where I grew up.
You need four essential elements for a legitimate Mexican taco:
-Moist CORN tortillas
-Juicy marinated meat
-Zesty green or red sauce
-Fresh cilantro and onion.

The few places in Taiwan get a couple of those right, but if any others are lacking, then the whole package is ruined. I’d say the tortillas (dry corn or god forbid, flour) and/or dry meat are usually the deal breakers. Dos Chinos tacos are spot-on juicy, flavorful, and authentic tasting tacos. Not as good as the ones I’ve had visiting Mexico a dozen+ times, but that is an unfair comparison.

Some pointers before you visit:
-Expect to wait about the same time as a sit-down restaurant instead of night-market fast, since everything is made to order. I can live with that!
-Seating is limited (7 or 8 total) so if you plan to eat on the premises, you might want to consider visiting during off-hours

[quote=“Wacow”]Great tacos.
Closest thing to authentic “taco truck” tacos opened by the Mexican immigrants in Los Angeles where I grew up.
You need four essential elements for a legitimate Mexican taco:
-Moist CORN tortillas
-Juicy marinated meat
-Zesty green or red sauce
-Fresh cilantro and onion.

The few places in Taiwan get a couple of those right, but if any others are lacking, then the whole package is ruined. I’d say the tortillas (dry corn or god forbid, flour) and/or dry meat are usually the deal breakers. Dos Chinos tacos are spot-on juicy, flavorful, and authentic tasting tacos. Not as good as the ones I’ve had visiting Mexico a dozen+ times, but that is an unfair comparison.

Some pointers before you visit:
-Expect to wait about the same time as a sit-down restaurant instead of night-market fast, since everything is made to order. I can live with that!
-Seating is limited (7 or 8 total) so if you plan to eat on the premises, you might want to consider visiting during off-hours[/quote]

You nailed it on review. Great stuff. I finally tried the vegetarian taco, man I am not a vegetarian but it was freagin good. If they could add some rice or beans to the menu, I could probably eat there everyday.

I’ll try it next time (maybe tonight). Yeah, beans and rice would propel the place into epic status; the current fries that come with the combo plate don’t really work.

Since every other Mexican place in Taiwan pretty much sucks it, I didn’t have very high hopes for this place despite the rave reviews by my fellow big noses. But, more out of boredom than curiosity or hunger, I finally decided to check the place out. I had the pulled pork tacos and didn’t even have to chew on them for 5 minutes :thumbsup: I won’t go as far as to say they were great, but for Taiwan they’re easily the best tacos I’ve had. The meat was “decent” and the overall quality and taste was “decent.” The meat could have been juicier and more tender, the flavor more zesty, but I only say that if comparing them to the better mexican food places back home. If I could offer a suggestion, I think they should have the standard two corn tortillas instead of just one. Since they are mostly meat an extra shell would help balance them out, and since they are quite small, make them somewhat more filling too. I think I would probably have to eat 12-14 of them to make it a meal. Nevertheless, if I’m in the area and want a snack or something to wet my appetite I would definitely consider getting another order of tacos there. The rest of the Mexican places here I avoid like the plague

Note that they are no longer open for lunch and they are closed on Tuesday and Wednesday. Suggest that you check their hours on their Facebook page before you go.

According to their facebook page, as of November 13, 2013, they are closed until further notice.

I’ve been twice before. Was surprised by the price. It was close to 300NT for a burrito. Considering the location, a back alley off the nightmarket, surrounded with street food which costs a fraction of the price… I thought the burritos were at least 100NT too much. They we’re bad though. Just a bit dry, there’s a lot of rice packed into those things. Oh - and service with a smile wouldn’t hurt. The dudes seemed miserable both times I visited. My Taiwanese friends thought the same. Perhaps I just went at the wrong time?

As mentioned, it’s been closed since mid-November with no plans to reopen.

The whole shop has been ripped out now and it seems they are done for good.

I’m bummed I went three times and they were closed each time. Now closed for good.

I would humbly submit that for lovers of Mexican food who can afford the cost of all imported (i.e. authentic) and mostly organic (i.e. SAFE) ingredients, our little Mayan on Xinyi ain’t half bad. If you know and love Mex, I suggest the shredded steak burrito or enchiladas, verdes or rojas. The Nachos, Flautas and Fajitas are also BIG hits, though those are Tex-Mex rather than native. We also do great brunches, pastas and risottos as I’m a California native so my cooking background is varied, but I’m a stickler for not skimping. I only use great ingredients. No canned sauces or salsas, no thai rice risottos, no mushy noodles with a skimpy teaspoon of pesto.

Sorry, back to the Mexican cuisine we’re most famous for… We’re happy to make it the way you want it, so feel free to tell the staff you want extra salsa, cilantro, salt, sour cream / crema etc as we’ve all had different experiences with, and thus expectations of, Mexican food, and Taiwanese don’t like dairy, tangy lemons or sea salt like the Mexicans do so we have to err on the side of safety unless asked otherwise. We generally make it your way without nickel and diming you for it. Extra guac is the exception as we only use California avocado$$$ (seasonal).

If you can handle spicy order anything with our Volcano Shrimp or shredded steak enchiladas rojas - and tell them you want it spicy. Or just put my homemade Diablo sauce on top. Don’t be shy, pour it on. The medicine dropper is for the faint of heart (you’ll get that when you get there).

Ask for Erik and if I’m there I’ll do my best to ensure the service is exceptional. While everyone has their ups and downs, I can pretty much guarantee the food quality on any given day whether I’m there or not, but service in this town is a serious and ongoing challenge. My only consolation is how sorely disappointed I am with the service at establishments far $$$ finer than my own. But again, the food’s solid, safe, and healthy, but we’re no hole in the wall cheap Mex so come on a date or when you want a nice craft beer or killer Margarita made from fresh limes (we’ve got pitchers of 'em!).

Our prices are around 240-320 for most mains, but fajitas, steaks, pork loin, shrimp tacos etc run considerably higher. But we’re really not competing on price, we take pride in our safe, quality ingredients and the great meals they make up, and the lovely atmosphere in which our food is served. If that sounds like your cup of tea, come check us out, and leave a comment card for the boss if I’m not there! Thanks!

-Humbly Yours,
Erik, Executive Chef & GM at the Mayan
393 Xinyi Rd Sec 4 (02) 8789-6292