Double Eyelids (aka my wife is driving me nuts)

So we just had a baby less than 3 weeks ago. Everything is fine except the fact that she doesn’t seem to have the western ‘double eyelids’ (雙眼皮) much.

They are there some of the time, but when her eyes are totally open, it seems they’re not.

Is this just something to be expected with a newborn and they will be like mine in the future?

I have no experience with this nor anyone else to ask so any advice would be appreciated.

She kind of jokingly says my genes are too weak (or my ‘soldiers’ were) and blames it on me… :s

Obligatory pics:

With
farm4.static.flickr.com/3154/255 … d2.jpg?v=0

Without
farm4.static.flickr.com/3006/255 … ee.jpg?v=0

Cheers

Ah yes, the coveted double fold, second only to the “tall nose” in the bizarre universe of Taiwanese physiognomy. Clearly, you are a failure as a foreign husband and as a man. She might as well have married a Taiwanese for all the good it did her gene pool :unamused:

Here’s a link that might help

drmeronk.com/asian/asian-eyelid-crease.html

No but enough ragging on the Taiwanese, that’s a beautiful kid you’ve got there. Congratulations : )

what a beauty!

the taiwanese can be funny about those eyelids. don’t know your full situation obviously but if this is a serious issue i think this would be one of those times where you put your foot down and insist on some common sense being applied, namely who gives a ff about eyelids.

Lol… thanks for the link…

I knew there was a surgery option (hopefully won’t be needed) and it’s always there as backup :slight_smile:

Any parents able to tell me of a similar situation where their kid ‘grew into’ having the ‘crease’ ?

I guess I made it sound worse than it is… she doesn’t go on and on about it… it’s all said in a kind of joking way but it would be nice to be able to reassure her that her baby will have more eyelids than all her friends’ babies in time :smiley:

A pretty little girl. She’ll be a heartbreaker in 20 years or so, eyelid creases or not.

Congratulations on a beautiful baby! Don’t give the eyelid thing a second thought. I remember when I was single, I had people ask me if the girl I was dating had double eyelids, and I didn’t know even when they explained it to me - it’s just not something that registers to me. Anyway, don’t all Taiwanese have “slitty eyes” as Prince Philip put it so eloquently? :laughing:

Wow, she’s adorable, congratulations!!!

well, on the first picture her eyelids look like my son when he was born.
you can take a look here, and see how much lid he has now :
tinepige.spaces.live.com/photos/ … 32B3!1217/ :laughing: (auch!)

perhaps this one is better:
tinepige.spaces.live.com/photos/ … 32B3!1176/ :smiley:

I guess my son have got asian eyelids and my daughter actually have more western. They are also more round. But I wouldn’t say I like one pair over the other, cause they are SO beautiful and brown, that I can stare at them all day long! :wink:

What a beautiful girl you made!!

She’s beautiful. And she seems to have all the right bits. What more do you need?
“surgery”??? Utter Madness!

I see all sorts of girls fiddling with those stickers they can cut to shape to wedge in between their eyelids, forcing a fold to occur. Apparently over years of time the forced fold becomes permanent, and then they look more…errr…hmm…wrinkled!?

I don’t get it.

My mum used to stick one of her ears back with sticky tape when she was a kid because one of them would stick further out than the other. hahaha. Now both ears are the same angle, but one has a flat lobe at the top where the sticky tape used to be. Gufaw!

Those eyelids look fine to me. And she’s an absolutely gorgeous baby!

My wife’s biggest concern during her pregnancy was that our daughter should have my eyes, and especially those coveted double eyelids. I can’t tell the difference and don’t give a damn, but the wife was so happy when baby was born and the eyes were all that she could have asked for.

Does your wife have double eyelids? It is a big issue yes…try to make your wife understand that if she starts poking at things like that now already, your daughter is going to be really insecure…ask her if she was made fun of …and if she wants her daughter to live a life wishing she looked different.

not fun.

[quote=“Bassment Productions”]I knew there was a surgery option (hopefully won’t be needed) and it’s always there as backup :slight_smile:

Any parents able to tell me of a similar situation where their kid ‘grew into’ having the ‘crease’ ?

I guess I made it sound worse than it is… she doesn’t go on and on about it… it’s all said in a kind of joking way but it would be nice to be able to reassure her that her baby will have more eyelids than all her friends’ babies in time :smiley:[/quote]

JESUS CHRIST!!! What the hell is wrong with you? You’ve got a beautiful new baby and your wife and you both consider her defective and want to have some surgeon mutilate her??? That’s serious child abuse – physical and emotional.

Perish that idiotic thought from your head and if your wife or anyone else suggests there’s something wrong with her eyes tell them to shut the hell up. Seriously.

I can’t imagine how anyone could think such a thought – especially about their own new baby. There is absolutely nothing wrong with her, regardless of whether she’s got double eyelids or not. To even hesitate for a moment and wonder if such crap might be true shows a serious lack of confidence in yourself and your beautiful baby, and conversion to local ignorant superstitions, that is truly sad. I hope you’ll have the common sense to get that crap out of your head soon, so you can be 100% thrilled and overjoyed with your baby, as you should be, without bearing idiotic prejudices that will harm both you and your child.

Good luck.

Btw, congrats on the beautiful girl. :flowers:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“Bassment Productions”]I knew there was a surgery option (hopefully won’t be needed) and it’s always there as backup :slight_smile:

I guess I made it sound worse than it is… she doesn’t go on and on about it… it’s all said in a kind of joking way but it would be nice to be able to reassure her that her baby will have more eyelids than all her friends’ babies in time :smiley:[/quote]

JESUS CHRIST!!! What the hell is wrong with you? You’ve got a beautiful new baby and your wife and you both consider her defective and want to have some surgeon mutilate her??? That’s serious child abuse – physical and emotional.

Perish that idiotic thought from your head and if your wife or anyone else suggests there’s something wrong with her eyes tell them to shut the hell up. Seriously.

I can’t imagine how anyone could think such a thought – especially about their own new baby. There is absolutely nothing wrong with her, regardless of whether she’s got double eyelids or not. To even hesitate for a moment and wonder if such crap might be true shows a serious lack of confidence in yourself and your beautiful baby, and conversion to local ignorant superstitions, that is truly sad. I hope you’ll have the common sense to get that crap out of your head soon, so you can be 100% thrilled and overjoyed with your baby, as you should be, without bearing idiotic prejudices that will harm both you and your child.

Good luck.

Btw, congrats on the beautiful girl. :flowers:[/quote]
You just don’t understand silly ignorant prejudices – oops! I meant “Chinese culture.”

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]JESUS CHRIST!!! What the hell is wrong with you? You’ve got a beautiful new baby and your wife and you both consider her defective and want to have some surgeon mutilate her??? That’s serious child abuse – physical and emotional.

I can’t imagine how anyone could think such a thought – especially about their own new baby. There is absolutely nothing wrong with her, regardless of whether she’s got double eyelids or not. To even hesitate for a moment and wonder if such crap might be true shows a serious lack of confidence in yourself and your beautiful baby, and conversion to local ignorant superstitions, that is truly sad. I hope you’ll have the common sense to get that crap out of your head soon, so you can be 100% thrilled and overjoyed with your baby, as you should be, without bearing idiotic prejudices that will harm both you and your child.[/quote]
The problem with Mother Theresa is that his posts are so subtle and nuanced that no one can tell what he’s really trying to say. I believe what he means is that it’s not a big deal and you shouldn’t stress over it. :smiley:

Sorry Maoman, I’ll try to express myself more directly in the future. :smiley:

What a cutie, congrats.

I would not pay any attention to what your wife says on the matter. If that’s too hard do the Chinese thing and scold back.

Or, next time your wife raises the issue, you can tell her, “at least she didn’t get your big butt.”

That should silence her for a moment.

Just kidding of course. Probably not a good approach.

Lol… no way would I force it upon a child, nor would my wife. A joking tone rarely conveys well via text on the internet even if you put a smiley face at the end.

As far as ‘a backup option’ this would be for her to decide once grown up and DEFINITELY would not be something she would be pressured into.

As for me, I don’t give a toss either way as I’ve obviously got no preference marrying a Taiwanese girl myself. The only reason I started this thread was to ask other parents if they could tell me from experience… I guess the word ‘advice’ may have conveyed I was looking for ways to change the situation but that wasn’t my intention.

Battery9 : Thanks for a good point about insecurity. I think she was a bit henpecked by her mum when younger so she lacks in self confidence herself so I will try to get this across to her.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Or, next time your wife raises the issue, you can tell her, “at least she didn’t get your big butt.”

That should silence her for a moment.
[/quote]

, while she gets the baseball bat out.

My missus complains that her genes are too strong, and she’s looking for signs that our boy looks like her. Tbis is seen as a defect.

That said, my daughter from an earlier marriage has single eyelids, and she’s pronounced to be a famous model lookalike my my wife.

When my son was first born, and up until he was about 8 months old, he had one eye with double lids and one without; truly half-n-half and a little strange looking, so we were a bit concerned. After 8 months, a fold started to appear on the eye without, only to be gone the next day. By 9 months he had 2 double lids. Not to say this will happen with your daughter, or that it even matters, but this was our experience.

My wife had always been repeatedly told by her mother and grandma growing up how ugly her eyes were, and how sad it was. It certainly had a negative effect on her self-image when she was growing up. So, I would be more concerned about protecting your daughter from that, than about whether or not she develops a 2nd eyelid.