Double Glazing

Where can I get it ?

Why do the Taiwanese not use it in all new buildings ?

Would they use it if they new of its existence ?

I have asked this question of a few locals and received answers which are too ridiculous to take seriously.

(By “double glazing” I mean a window consisting of two panes of glass with an insulating vacuum layer in between)

I got double-glazed windows installed in my bedroom, and it’s very effective for reducing noise. I already wrote about it in the Legal Forum in February 2002 here. But the topic then was barking dogs, so I’ll cut and paste the part I wrote about double-glazed windows:

It only cost 5000 NT to soundproof two windows in my bedroom. One is a huge 5’ x 4’ window, and the other one is a small window for an air conditioner. I called a window company and told them that I wanted them to make the windows so soundproof that I wouldn’t be able to hear any dogs barking outside.

It was very simple to do because since the walls in Taiwan are so thick, they simply added two more thick panes of glass behind the original window, making a total of three layers of glass. And the important thing is that the additional layers are not open-able. They are each just one thick (10 mm) pane of glass, and they are sealed with silicon around all the edges, which gives them a vacuum seal. (If the windows were open-able, then they would leak air and hence leak noise.)

The window installation was very successful. Now my bedroom is so quiet that I can’t even hear the loudspeaker trucks that go by! And it doesn’t matter that I am renting my house. When I move, I won’t say anthing to the landlord because she probably won’t notice anyway. But even if she does notice, I can easily remove the extra windows because the original windows are still there.

1 Like

Mark, that’s not double glazing as I have defined it. The vacuum layer is important. However, it is one idea.

The vacuum layer prevents conduction of heat from the outside pane to the inside pane. It also helps reduce noise as sound cannot travel through a vacuum.

I find windows in Taipei apartments to be utterly pointless. What is there to look at ?

The bars?

The office I work in has double glazing. Keeps down the noise, the power bill (air-conditioning expenses), and (I’m told) prevents industrial espionage!

1 Like

sorry, I thought this was about doughnuts.

2 Likes

Good one. :laughing:

Double glazing in Shanghai ? Some lovely houses here.

15 years later, does anyone know what company in Taipei would provide secondary glazing (additional layer from inside like someone described)? Has anyone had it done? Would it be feasible at all for bigger windows in a new building? I moved into an apartment that is pretty much perfect but unfortunately the street traffic noise is pretty horrible. I would really like to stay if at all possible but I think secondary glazing is the only way to make it bearable.

1 Like

You can do it yourself using “magnetic strip secondary glazing” with clear acrylic sheets. Professional soundproof glass windows are very expensive.

1 Like

And where might I acquire sheets like that? “Sheet” doesn’t sound very thick. There’s some serious soundproofing needed though. I wouldn’t mind spending a bit provided it’s feasible. I think the latter is the bigger problem.

Ask around or search the web for 壓克力, it is available in many thicknesses, from about 2mm to 20mm. Then google “magnetic strip secondary glazing”, lots of instruction online.

What did you do in the end? Also interested in this or comparable solution.

So did I.

4 Likes