Double Vision - new movie, have you seen it?

from a gastronomical viewpoint, i was somewhat dissapointed with this movie. love it or hate it, taipei has some cool and funky foods. and we end up with a scene with dongfen(or was it mifen?) in soup. woot! i wasn’t expecting pig’s blood and intestine soup, but at least throw in a dish that’s more interesting looking. like the dish all my newly arrived friends figure out first: nuroumian. the chunks of beef would have added a little color to the dish.

and spicy? please. with the exception of malahuoguo, taiwanese people can’t handle spice at all. even the medium salsa americans eat is spicier than most of the dishes here. but i’m glad the movie didn’t take the tired make-fun-of-weird-animal-parts angle.

i liked that the foreigner seemed like just a normal guy. no prolonged “oh, i’m in an asian country, everything is so strange here” scenes. he’s just bumming around eating at roadside stands and downing some beers. he treats all the asian characters as just normal people. a refreshing change from most films with foreigners in asia.

Excellent observation, Flipper. I liked that too, although I didn’t notice it until you pointed it out. You just earned yourself some Karma!

Do the people around you look pretty, attractive with a nice figure, like in the Hollywood movies? You feel they are not very good, right?? So in this movie, I don’t think it is a bad thing to shoot the modern buildings and few scooters to be part of Taipei life… actually I feel it could be shot even better.

Why the lethal bacteria sample could only be sent to America, not Australia, Canada or somewhere else???

I really dislike a word with a retroflex and I speak not perfect Chinese. But most of youngster around me speak perfect Mandarin with no Taiwanese accent. Well, that is not quite a factor which made me dislike this movie. Just the preview made me have excessive expectations.

Jennifer88,
So you have a particular problem with America, right? It offended you that in the movie they sent the sample to the FBI and had an American sent in. Should you blame the movie for your hangups? Hmm …

I think, it’s nothing to do with America. It’s just the social mindset in taiwan which we call 崇洋媚外 (congyangmeiwai), dote on foreign’s stuff…
哈日, 哈美, 哈韓…whatelse?

segue,

anton xie