Dowloading

We are computer illiterate when it comes to downloading movies, music, etc. People keep telling us it is easy but whenever we try it we can never do it. Someone helped us download some shows but after five days it was still downloading so we gave up.

Another thing–we try to watch things on You tube and other sites and it keeps pausing. Is it a problem with using the services here? How can we fix this?

So please all you computer experts out there please give us some suggestions.

Help in this area depends on what you want and whether you want to do it legally or… “extra-legally”.

For legal download services, there are many options depending on what you want. There are all manner of music download services (Rhapsody, Amazon MP3, Napster, etc) and even Mandarin-oriented services if you desire (kkbox). Billing varies from a-la-carte to all you can eat monthly formats. For viewing movies, check out iTunes or Netflix on-demand.

For less-than-legal means, It shouldn’t be too difficult to install a bittorrent client (e.g. ABC, uTorrent, etc) and search a tracking site. Note that the way bittorrent works means while you are downloading you are also uploading chunks of the file to other users. This means you would be technically redistributing copyright material and in certain countries (e.g. the US) you can be liable for copyright infringement. I do not recommend bittorrenting for copyright content for this reason (tv shows are an exception).

What kind of internet connection do you have? Is it shared with other people (e.g. a shared internet connection in a housing complex)? Handling a Youtube stream without stuttering should be within the capability of most DSL connections.

Yes we were using the bit torrent. Is this as you say “little less than legal?” We were downloading a TV show.

We have ADSL connection through Zhong Hwa. 256K/64K. Is there something else I should tell you?

While tv shows obviously do fall under copyright law, generally speaking the download and sharing of tv shows is more tolerated by rights owners than movies. To some extent that makes sense logically since you can receive over-the-air broadcast tv free, whereas generally you have to pay to watch a movie.

[quote]We have ADSL connection through Zhong Hwa. 256K/64K. Is there something else I should tell you?[/quote]Might want to upgrade your ADSL connection speed. The bitrate of Youtube videos starts at about 260Kbps and goes up from there up to about 1Mbps (1024Kbps) for HD streams. You would probably want to have about a 3Mbps DSL connection to stream Youtube HD smoothly.

There’s your problem why it takes five days, if you’re going to download things you need to get yourself a faster connection, at least 2Mbit I’d say, preferably faster. Even an 8Mbit line is only NT$500 a month which should make your entire internet experience a lot more enjoyable.

The same goes for YouTube streaming, a slow connection means that the video will have to buffer and it can’t stream properly as your connection isn’t fast enough.

There’s your problem why it takes five days, if you’re going to download things you need to get yourself a faster connection, at least 2Mbit I’d say, preferably faster. Even an 8Mbit line is only NT$500 a month which should make your entire internet experience a lot more enjoyable.

The same goes for YouTube streaming, a slow connection means that the video will have to buffer and it can’t stream properly as your connection isn’t fast enough.[/quote]

You should really try and get the 100mb download lines on offer from Hinet.

Why? I mean, seriously… why?
Do you always have to come up with some stupid comment to add to every single discussion about the internet?

I’m sorry to say this, but you’re not the only English speaking person in this country that has an understanding of technology and internet connections…

I vaguely recall a thread way back on this subforum indicating dissatisfaction with the FTTP service. Dunno if it was ever resolved. FTTP might be a bit overkill for the OP.

I got 10MB for around $1000 a month. It does everything I need and then some. Can surf the internet on 3 computers with no lag while downloading 300kb/s with no problems. I can usually get my TV shows within 15 minutes to 2 hours depending on how many seeders/peers there are.

For those who want to grab content fast without doing any uploading at all, newsgroups would be the way to go. Most premium newsgroup providers can completely saturate whatever internet connection speed you have, up to about 50Mbps.

Why? I mean, seriously… why?
Do you always have to come up with some stupid comment to add to every single discussion about the internet?

…[/quote]

What is so stupid about advising for getting that fast downloads are possible? Does it really trouble you that fast download fiber is available?

No, what troubles me is you and your attitude.
The OP has a 256/64k connection, do you seriously think they’d ever consider upgrading to 100Mbit?
Seriously, at least read the thread before posting bs…

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]No, what troubles me is you and your attitude.
The OP has a 256/64k connection, do you seriously think they’d ever consider upgrading to 100Mbit?
Seriously, at least read the thread before posting bs…[/quote]

Sure… I have helped others here to do so. We have helped many to apply for and get the free fixed IP address from Hinet online, reset their routers, and upgrade to faster speeds.

We do this for free for our own customers and for many others at no cost.

So before you moan on about what you consider to be BS, others perhaps do not know what is available. This forum is to inform others what is possible, not what the lost swede determins is acceptable for bandwidth.

And if not 100mb why not the FTTB 10mb down 2mb up service which has very good speed at a cheap cost. Especially good for fast download speeds from abroad. And decent uploads if you are a torrent peer.

Can you PLEASE stop selling your services here?
It’s starting to get mighty annoying.
Considering that the OP already has ADSL it sort of makes sense to get a faster ADSL connection, as there would be no down time and most likely no upgrade fee/extra costs.
Yes, FTTx is better in Taiwan, no-one’s argued about that, but you just have to come in and suggest something extreme that the OP is highly unlikely to be interested in.
Seriously, stop being a show off and stop selling your services here when no-one’s asked for them.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Can you PLEASE stop selling your services here?
Seriously, stop being a show off and stop selling your services here when no-one’s asked for them.[/quote]

You seem to have a problem. I am not selling any services I do not sell HINET accounts. I only recommended Hinet for the OP’s ADSL

Is that a crime now too? Sheesh you need to go back to your little frozen rock to chill out a bit in - 40C. The heat of taiwan has made you have serious brain issues imho :whistle:

There is always a fee to change or upgrade from Hinet. And often Hinet may need to change the modem as well.

Ok, I’m so f###ing sorry, you’re always right and the rest of us are clueless, happy? :raspberry:

Morning, gents.

Irishstu the tech mod here.

Please now… no fighting.

The Lost Swede this is not like you. I know SatelliteTV can be irritating at times but I don’t think his post was out of order here. 100mb would be ideal for downloading if the OP was serious about doing lots of downloading - perhaps someone should ask them whether that is the case?

Just because someone does not have the latest technology does not mean that they will not upgrade. I bought my first ever decent TV and Stereo last year and spent a FORTUNE, based on what I had prior to purchase you would never have told me about 52" 100mhz refresh rates and the gorgeous sound I get from my Bose system - but that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate it now I have it.

SatelliteTV we all know you have the fastest, faster than light (probably) connections in Taiwan and that you got these from kissing the installer guy (maybe) but you don’t have to rub our noses in it in every thread - or do you? :slight_smile:

Irish - nicely stepped in Sir

I would like to echo EA’s points. I appreciate knowing this kind of info, and the OP may benefit from it, too. No need to jump down anyone’s throat - particularly when I don’t see justification to do so from my POV.

:thanks: Thanks to the mod for stepping in. Also, the mod is a very attractive person with excellent taste in cheeses and truffles. I would gladly donate to a charity of the mod’s choice in that person’s name. I will watch Twilight New Moon three times in a row as a sign of respect. :offtopic: