Downhill Mountain Biking

you mean apart from ZFG? Close you won’t find anything better and shuttleing is easy. However do take care for hikers on the blind high speed sections and try to avoid the fat landowner cruising around on her scooter near the finish area. :smiley:

Thanks Pomme

What is ZFG?

Is there any decent pedal riding in the area?

What is the riding like? Steep? Is Taiwan worth exploring for trails?

Do you always encounter hikers?

Thanks

Josh

I suggest you check the north taiwan offroad facebook page. facebook.com/taiwanoffroad I think.

Look at an ariel map of Taoyuan, you will see the eastern boundary is a mountain. Riding all over that hill is possible, but from what I gather the DH track area has been consigned to history. I went there last week and it hasn’t had much use recently. I was told of the landowner threatening someone with a hammer a couple of months back (!) but I can’t vouch for that.

There is said to be a new location over the hill near Linkou, but I looked on the ariel map and it looks very small with little elevation. Might be OK for jumps, but no DH racing possibilities.

Hi, I have recently moved to Taipei and am looking to do some mountain biking.
My mandarin skills are only just over zero so finding tracks is proving a little a hard.
I have been riding for a long time, have a dh background so technical tracks don’t bother me much as a general rule.
Long rides on fire roads are not normally my thing but I’m so desperate to ride I would consider anything.

Any advice or chatter welcome

Welcome to Taiwan.

It’s a bit old, but you could try www.formosanfattire.com for some ideas.

Thanks march

I found that site a couple of weeks ago, went to try and find one if the tracks listed and had no luck.

[quote=“res”]Hi, I have recently moved to Taipei and am looking to do some mountain biking.
My Mandarin skills are only just over zero so finding tracks is proving a little a hard.
I have been riding for a long time, have a dh background so technical tracks don’t bother me much as a general rule.
Long rides on fire roads are not normally my thing but I’m so desperate to ride I would consider anything.

Any advice or chatter welcome[/quote]

Hello res, I admin a cycling group on LINE. We mostly organize road bike rides up Yang Ming Shan, but there are a few members that are mtn bikers as well.

Shoot me a PM with your LINE ID, if the group doesn’t work out for you, no pressure to stay.

Pm sent

Hey

Any luck in finding any mountain biking? I’m moving to Taipei and also keen on doing some MTBing (CC/DH but prefer downhill in this weather!). I’m not as experienced (just getting into the sport) but I have a couple of trips under my belt and an affinity for these kind of sports. My plan was to get in touch with Alan’s bike shop when I arrived but if you’ve already found stuff I’d love to get involved. I can speak Chinese so might also be able to find out more stuff.

Don’t know if you can bike on Guan Yin mountain in Bali, Danshui. If you can, it looks a lot of fun. It might not be as good as Yang Min Shan but it’s a good day out and only 45 min from the center.

You have to get out at HongShuLin and cycle from there…

[quote=“chrisyt”]Hey

Any luck in finding any mountain biking? I’m moving to Taipei and also keen on doing some MTBing (CC/DH but prefer downhill in this weather!). I’m not as experienced (just getting into the sport) but I have a couple of trips under my belt and an affinity for these kind of sports. My plan was to get in touch with Alan’s bike shop when I arrived but if you’ve already found stuff I’d love to get involved. I can speak Chinese so might also be able to find out more stuff.[/quote]

Have found a few tracks, they are very hidden and stop start styles. Flick me a message and I’m happy to show you what I have found. I keep thinking I should start gpsing the tracks and doing a blog on it to make things easier for other mtb folk

Hey res, definitely do that if you can be bothered. There’s a real lack of information out there at the moment.

Someone did post a link to a Facebook group in another thread, although the group page is all in Chinese. I’ll post it here if I can find it though.

Not sure if this is the one Irishstu mentioned in the previous post, but this is a fairly active Taipei MTB group page.

facebook.com/groups/taiwanoffroad/

[quote=“plasmatron”]Not sure if this is the one Irishstu mentioned in the previous post, but this is a fairly active Taipei MTB group page.

facebook.com/groups/taiwanoffroad/[/quote]

That’s the one, plasma!

[quote=“res”][quote=“chrisyt”]Hey

Any luck in finding any mountain biking? I’m moving to Taipei and also keen on doing some MTBing (CC/DH but prefer downhill in this weather!). I’m not as experienced (just getting into the sport) but I have a couple of trips under my belt and an affinity for these kind of sports. My plan was to get in touch with Alan’s bike shop when I arrived but if you’ve already found stuff I’d love to get involved. I can speak Chinese so might also be able to find out more stuff.[/quote]

Have found a few tracks, they are very hidden and stop start styles. Flick me a message and I’m happy to show you what I have found. I keep thinking I should start gpsing the tracks and doing a blog on it to make things easier for other mtb folk[/quote]

Sounds good, I don’t have a bike in Taiwan yet though. Hope the trails were decent!

I found this list of trails in Taipei - alansmountainbike.com.tw/where_we_ride.htm

Also joined facebook.com/groups/taiwanoffroad/ but group invite is pending.

If all else fails I’m sure we could look into starting our own lil group?

The Alan’s list is the starting point myself and one other have used.

My join for that FB group has been pending for six months so…

The tracks are fun, not purpose built but still fun.

There is a line english cycling group that has a couple of mtb’ers on it but with a couple more it could be worth starting a line or FB group just for mtb

Hey can you pm me your line or fb profile(s)? I barely use/think to check forumosa so it would be easier to discuss this over there.

Done

Do people do any fun relaxed trail rides ? I’m a slow poke just trying to check out new places. I’m visiting Taipei City for 3 weeks in a couple weeks.

I don’t think I’ve ever felt relaxed doing downhill mountain biking. :laughing: But if you’re just looking for flat, cross-country off-road riding, you can find it at the riverside park along Dahan River in Tucheng and Banqiao. There’re several wetland parks on the outskirts of the riverside park (between the park and the river itself) that have nice single tracks that will make your fat tires feel at home.