Downhill Mountain Biking

[quote=“jaame”]
1.Pommes, what would you say would be the ideal bike for that track at the weekend?
2.200x51 = 145mm travel with slightly slacker geometry
3.Are Transitions badly made or is it just that Giants are really very great?[/quote]

Sorry, only saw that now - enjoy BKK if you’re already packing.
1.if you stay in the Giant Fam; Reign or Reign X; 6-6,7" of travel is MORE then enough and the bike magicly got 5-7kgs lighter - any idea how much easier to whip 30% less weight?
Also, it still is an okay AM-rig - just put a solid chainguard on before the race and if I’m still faster - I will be more then happy to trade bikes with you :smiley:
Don’t worry, it’s plenty big- imagine hucking a 20kgs bike from a big drop to flat, then a 13kgs one with almost the same travel, which impact is smoother? A lighter bike makes things easier.
2. I didn’t look into this bike, but I doubt you can just change the shock without fucking up the geometry - also, shocks aren’t cheap either.
3. Let’s say Giant can throw enough money at it to get it right. Apart from that, the Transition frames are just outdated and I see no particular reason to like’em.

Sure I’m in for a race - I’ll probably be around mid - end of March. Hope they come up with a slightly better track though, that spot has so much more potential!

PS; the Lapierre DH frame certainly is a beauty, would love to test it once.
PPS; just out of curiosity; how much is that REIGN X 1?

Thanks for the reply Pommes (King = Konig!).

According to the Giant brochure, the Reign X1 is 14.5kg and retails at $88k ($70k after 20% discount). HA is 67.0.
The Faith 0 is 16.7kg/$108k ($86k) and HA is 66.3 or 66.8. That’s still pretty light, my STP is listed at 13.3kg FFS!

I would buy the Faith over the Reign simply because it has Totem forks as opposed to Fox and it looks better. I know Fox forks work extremely well as I’ve spent a few hours on a pair of Float 32s, I just LOVE to look of the fat 40mm legs on the Totems. That alone is worth adding 3kg if you ask me.

I did quite a bit of internet digging on shortening Totem Solo Airs. It seems that if you have the right spacers which are easily bought or made, you can shorten them as much as you like. I’ve seen on various forums people who have shortened then from 180 to 160, 150 and even 90mm! A lot of people claim to be able to do it in ten minutes because there’s nothing to them internally.

I calculated the leverage ratio from the travel and shock stroke, it’s about 2.87 I seem to recall, which I think means if you fit a shock with a 1mm shorter eye to eye length you will drop the back of the bike by 2.87mm. Obviously that will slacken the head angle and drop the bottom bracket a touch, but consistently with the standard compression of the suspension. This can be exrapolated to calculate the travel reduction by fitting a range of different shocks. I can’t see any reason why it won’t work, theoretically you won’t alter the geometry at all if you always drop the forks by the same amount as the back end.

The only thing is that the fully compressed length of the shorter shock could be shorter (indeed it is 3mm shorter with the shortest one I looked at) which would allow the suspension to compress a little bit more than standard when it’s bottomed out. It could cause the linkages to hit something on some bikes. I’ve seen a video of a shockless Glory being compressed all the way down so I don’t think 3mm will make any diff on the Faith.

Also as I said I’d love to have a go on a bike with a slacked out head angle, dropping the back and leaving the forks at 180 would allow me to do so! If I don’t like it, I just drop the forks.

I like the Transition just because it looks great (I like those small low swingarm designs) and I’ve read a lot of glowing reviews of the TR450 DH bike. They all said it’s built like a tank but the suspension is excellent for DH. Clearly there’s a reason why motocross bikes all use basically the same rising rate linkage - my guess is because in terms of pure supension action (i.e. not worrying about pedal bob) it’s the best system. The TR250 is supposedly lighter and better fun.

RE: The track at Hu Tou Shan. The problems with building a good track are as follows:

1. No one here knows what a “good track” is. I thought that DH track was good! Having never been on one, I couldn’t build one unless someone else told me what to.

2. There’s only one guy there actually doing most of the work and he prefers to work with pallets, a hammer and nails rather than a spade. I can understand it, it takes a very, very long time to make anything decent out of dirt with just a spade. I can’t see anyone driving a Bobcat up there any time soon with it being public land and all.

3. Half of the mountain is “off limits”. They’ve been told not to touch anything on the East side of that track at the top of the course. I had a great idea for a wallride to drop at the top but I was told yesterday that it’s not doable for that reason.

They are pretty receptive to ideas though. Have you got time to come over on the CPI today for a while to walk the course and make some suggestions on how to make it better? I’m not leaving until this evening and I’d love to get your input, get it down on a map and try to organise some guys with spades next week to implement!

[quote=“jaame”]Thanks for the reply Pommes (King = Konig!).
1.That alone is worth adding 3kg if you ask me.
2.I can’t see any reason why it won’t work, theoretically you won’t alter the geometry at all if you always drop the forks by the same amount as the back end.
3.I don’t think 3mm will make any diff on the Faith.
4. Half of the mountain is “off limits”[/quote]

1. You’re bonkers for that Totem, hey? I’ld take the Fox 36…
  2. Your forgetting about the BB height.
  3. well, that’s about 9mm on the rear wheel though, and your pedals might turn into shovels - smashy-smashy
  4. Still, we should have a better look at it - can we descend more West from that trail? It supposed to be a bit less steep, so you could actually make it longer and with better jumps. I’m talking to Ryan now, maybe he wants to come over. If he does, I’ll give you a call.

James, I’ll bring both Nomad and Glory next time to JFG (or other place) so you can have a go at both to get better feeling about different travel and what best suits your needs (which will most likely be the shorter travel option :wink:)

If there’s some building going on, let me know. Don’t have much spare time, but willing to help out.

[quote=“jaame”]
2. There’s only one guy there actually doing most of the work and he prefers to work with pallets, a hammer and nails rather than a spade. I can understand it, it takes a very, very long time to make anything decent out of dirt with just a spade.[/quote]
-Not necessarily

Dake? Aka “the coach”?

1. I admire his efforts and wouldn’t have the heart to stop him, but his pallet-landscapes are ridiculous and dangerous. It’s impossible to make jumps if you wouldn’t know how to yourself.
  2. Try to focus on 1 line first, get it dialled, then consider other lines.
  3. As soon as we find a flowy line top to bottom, I can gather some skilled diggers from TC and do a trailday - you’ld be suprised how much can be done in 1 day/weekend. No need for a Bobcat; just start digging and picking - you’ll find it’s the only way to make it nice and sustainable. And the venue is worth it.

get inspired: http://www.buildthewoods.co.uk/

[button]Speedtrap renewed…,http://flowmtbstyle.com/blog/archives/1445#more-1445[/button]

Da Ge is Big Brother in Chinese, I call him that as a sign of respect and because I don’t know his name. My wife told me it’s a safe option if you don’t know an old guy’s name because it’s like saying Mate in a friendly but respectful way and they like it apparently.

I’m keen to get one good line dialled next time you come here. We’ll have to do it when it’s been raining for a few days because the soil there is very rocky and the clay content makes it get really really hard after a few days of sun.

I think what needs doing, from top to bottom (not in order of importance) is as follows.

1. The step-up jump needs to be reshaped into a proper quarter and a landing built that rewards air. It could then be used to session too if one wanted to practice tricks such as the “no footer”, “360” or even the “no leg varial” (whatever that is!).
  2. Berms on the three corners on the steep hillside just after said step-up for improved flow.
  3. Landing for the big pallet wooden ramp that Da Ge built just before the race.
  4. Landing built for the most recent jump close to the bottom where the young lad knocked himself out last week (and a load of muck pushed under it so it can’t collapse).
  5. Maybe a right-left corkscrew through the woods next to the temple to link the two sections at either side of that bit of metalled road by the temple.

I think most of the guys there don’t understand the concept of flow. So many jumps to flat just for the sake of it. I told them a few months ago they could improve a line by taking a jump out and they did it immediately so they are open to ideas. The other thing is they don’t seem to understand that the pro line over the jumps should be a couple of seconds faster than the chicken line, not just the two lines next to each other.

“Rome wasn’t built in a day”.

It would be a lot faster if you learnt Taiwanese…

I’m still here! - At least untill Sundaynight…

Maybe we should take the “coach” to the Speedtrap and force him to ride a bit more… that Track is getting better and better.
Broaap!:

Do you want to ride tomorrow if it’s decent weather? I’ll try to turf Pimbu on her grandparents.

Speaking of teaching Da Ge how to build safe jumps… looking at this pic he isn’t going to learn anything from speedtrap!

Nice air there big lad!

I went to the Beitou pumptrack last night, it took me almost two hours to find it. The signage in Taiwan is appalling and I didn’t really now how to get there. Eventually Andrew had to pick me up and guide me in. It was very dusty, I only stayed for half an hour. It’s the sort of place I’d go every day for half an hour if I lived five minutes up the road but it’s not really worth the drive very often. I’d rather hang out at JFG to be honest.

I was hoping to test out the Corsair Dominion proto he has, but he was on the Toro hardtail last night. Maybe next time…

[quote=“jaame”]Do you want to ride tomorrow if it’s decent weather? I’ll try to turf Pimbu on her grandparents.
looking at this pic he isn’t going to learn anything from speedtrap!
I was hoping to test out the Corsair Dominion proto he has, but he was on the Toro hardtail last night. Maybe next time…[/quote]

1. it might look tweak, but it’s solidly build and the huge landing took some decent digging.
  2. I rode it a bit, it’s a beautiful frame but it was set up as a hardtail, way to hard for DH.
    Let me talk to Lance, then talk tonight, maybe we can take the afternoon off…

Pommes, are Pacific making Corsair?

How do you insert photos into posts? I can’t work it out. Is there a special procedure you have to use? :raspberry:

Plasmatron, I want some Wellgo B124 or B144, or Crank Bros 50:50 pedals in black if they’re less than $2G :2cents: . Have you got any, perchance? :howyoudoin:

Let me know ASAP about tomorrow please. My wife’s back at 3pm today but has another flight tomorrow so I won’t have the car tomorrow. That means I can meet you in Taoyuan but if you want to go to Speedtrap you’ll have to assist me in the travel arrangements (please!)

[quote=“jaame”]Pommes, are Pacific making Corsair?
How do you insert photos into posts?[/quote]

1. no, I rode it at the Speedtrap
  2. use the “Img” button, then this appears; - the put the link to the pic in between ][
  3. for shopping, I’ld recommand the “grey shop” in Taichung :smiley:
  4. If riding tomorrow, let’s go to Taoyuan and look at the options

Definitly not tomorrow, maybe saterday? Preferably sunday even…

[quote=“jaame”]Pommes, are Pacific making Corsair?

How do you insert photos into posts? I can’t work it out. Is there a special procedure you have to use? :raspberry:

Plasmatron, I want some Wellgo B124 or B144, or Crank Bros 50:50 pedals in black if they’re less than $2G :2cents: . Have you got any, perchance? :howyoudoin:[/quote]

First you have to upload pics to a server like

imageshack.us/?x=my3

then you click on the link to that pic after you have loaded it

and paste that link here and add at the end of the link, like

My wife’s going to Japan tomorrow for two days and Bubu’s going to stay with my parents in law for two days. If you change your mind about riding let me know. The weekend may be possible but I can probably only do a couple of hours. Tom and Fri I can do all day.

Thanks for the info re: uploading photos. I’ll try to use it soon!

Come on buddy it’s a perfect day for it… overnight rain, not too hot, not too good for riding. It’s a trailday for shizzle!

It didn’t work did it? Can you see an image here or a link? What am I doing wrong? Do I have to personally upload the photos onto a photo site to make it work?

[quote=“jaame”]

What am I doing wrong?[/quote]

well, you were close :smiley: (the procedure was good, the link wasn’t; in this case, just throw out everything behind “.jpg”…

Awesome dude!
I’m going there now with my bike, probably staying until about 4pm. I’ll do a bit of riding and a bit of digging. If you’re ver there and need a spade and a pick or mattock, they have some stashed under a big flat ramp/kitchen work surface on the downhill side of the hanging out area.

What’s best, one jump and one landing, or ten jumps and no landings? Well apparently the answer is the latter. Da Ge was there again today with a fresh supply of ten new pallets and a few 2x3m sheets of two ply plywood. He expertly crafted a new jump which to give him credit looks much stronger and better supported than usual. The only problem is, it has no usable run-in or run-out and isn’t on any line for the DH race track. Total waste of effort.

Two of the new lines after that big pallet jump in the race are looking like winners with a lot of digging required to build a landing six times the length of the current one to make it usable on one of them.

He told me Ryan said he plans to go there in two weeks to build a jump, he didn’t seem too happy! I don’t want to piss him off because he’s a good guy and his heart’s in the right place but I wish he put his efforts to better use. I wouldn’t mind helping but every time I offer he says he doesn’t need any help. I’m going to forget about it, just go there to ride and see what they come up with. There’s no point going there and digging if you’re the only one doing it. It needs a gaffer who knows what he’s doing and everyone on the same page, which they’re not!