Downloading a WEBSITE

Is there some way to download a website for reference and/or backup purposes?

I have several friends who have been talking about this recently. For example, some academic websites are set up in conjunction with a year-long research project, and they are going to be eliminated on such and such a date. Someone finds the information on that website useful, and would like to download the entire thing …

Obviously, the interested person does not have any FTP codes or other way to log onto that server with some special access.

But we are just wondering if there are programs available which can assist in accomplishing such a task.

Any ideas??

Miltownkid knows.

[quote=“Hartzell”]Is there some way to download a website for reference and/or backup purposes?

I have several friends who have been talking about this recently. For example, some academic websites are set up in conjunction with a year-long research project, and they are going to be eliminated on such and such a date. Someone finds the information on that website useful, and would like to download the entire thing …

Obviously, the interested person does not have any FTP codes or other way to log onto that server with some special access.

But we are just wondering if there are programs available which can assist in accomplishing such a task.

Any ideas??[/quote]http://www.httrack.com/

I’m not sure whether there are any copyright issues with using a program like that, though. Might be best to check with the website owner if there’s any doubt.

For older versions of sites, it’s often worth trying this site:
archive.org/web/web.php

I have used archive.org’s “wayback machine” a few times to go and have a look at stuff that has long since been deleted.

archive.org/web/web.php

It’s kinda scary if you think about it.

Depends on the kind of website. Would it be a database driven site or a static site?

Kenneth

metaproducts.com/mp/mpProduc … l.asp?id=2

This is most likely what you’re looking for. I use it quite regularly and it works great.

it reminded me of a feature of explorer that i miss (who would have thought?)

on firefox,when bookmarking a website,you don’t have the option to make it available offline…or is there one?

[quote=“thegoat”]http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpProducts_Detail.asp?id=2

This is most likely what you’re looking for. I use it quite regularly and it works great.[/quote] httrack.com/ is free. The product in your link costs 70USD. Not saying that that one isn’t good or that commercial software is bad, but I’d suggest to Hartzell that he try httrack first at least.

I’ve used these extensively to download various erm things.

Wget. It’s command line driven so you’ll have to read the documentation, but you also have a lot of control.

gnu.org/software/wget/

I also believe Free Download Manager will do what you want. It is GUI based so it’s much easier.

freedownloadmanager.org/

The good thing about both is they’re free.