Downsides to moving to Taiwan?

This would make me angry too but I’ve never heard of such a thing before. I’m pretty sure this is a single incident, there are bad eggs everywhere. Can’t believe that a car rental chain would do something like that. I’ve rented cars many times before and as you said, price was always around 1800nt.

2 Likes

Ditto. One great thing about the Taiwan is the “foreigner tax” is far less common here than it is in most of the other Asian countries that I’ve visited.

yeah, i think most people are very decent towards foreigners and not just having those $$ eyes. never had problems with taxis, can’t say that for other countries.

the only time i really felt screwed was at a fruit stand when the a-ma(owner) gave the other a-ma(customer) right in front of me half the price she later offered me. but i can live with that. i’m not good at haggeling prices, i either find it’s fair or i move on. i just smiled and left, it’s not that taiwan is scarce on fruits.

what i’m uncertain about are repairmen, for ac and sanitary stuff. i have no comparison for that. it’s not that they ripped me off but it wasn’t exactly cheap either, so maybe their pricing’s vary due to what your apartment and you look like.

ironically the best sandwich i’ve had in asia was a 7 11 tonkatsu pork sandwich from japan. i wish they had it here, i would eat it every week.

i’ve seen some strawberry sandwiches here too…sandwich freakshow.

Ahem. Banh mi. And, what with all the Vietnamese brides of the past couple of decades, now available at many many shops all over Taiwan!

4 Likes

taiwan has a pretty high density of subway stores. now i know that might not be the real deal but subway in tw still feels pretty original in taste, not like mcdo with its pineapple shrimp curry sauce burger or whatever…

and in most cities you’ll find decent western food shops run by expats. might be harder to find but if you really miss it, you’ll get there eventually. imo it’s harder to find good american food in europe than here.

Like a lot of the Vietnamese restaurants the banh mi I’ve had here has been mediocre. But I plan to get back to trying all of them that I find. I know good ones are out there.

1 Like

make your own mayo

Following on “make your own”, I shall now add the terms “sour cream” and “psycho xiaojie” to the thread, because I’m sure someone needs those phrases either to complete a bingo card, or to ensure total inebriation in whatever forumosa drinking game they’re playing.

3 Likes

Should have a proper kitchen very soon and I will try making my own, along with aioli.

could you pass me the recipe for psycho xiaojie?

Dude, you do NOT want that. Don’t worry - when the moon and stars align, they’ll come to you.

Girls… is good place to date many girls and have a lot of sex since most of em are dump, and some do like foreigners. On minus they have no interest in sport, so they have poor body shape, no ass… But still can find a good one. Gotta know in taiwan there is a lot of people, density is crazy and like 35% of girls above 30s are single, plus most of girls in relation are willing to cheat. Sex is big part of asian culture with less morals, ethics attacted to it comparing to west.

However is extremely hard to find marriage material girl, even you do, probably she acts, and will take years for you to figure her out. Personally every white guy i know, who being married with chinese/taiwanese paid a heavy price for it and most of marriages are not happy. She might be kinda ok, but then will have tone of troubles with culture difference, her family, parents, need to spend tone of money on traditions aka bullshit.

Just play around and do not take taiwanese girls seriously. Is not worth it. They had told me this many years ago, did not listen, and now am really fucked up. I know you will not listen, but you have been warned about it.

2 Likes

:flushed: :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

I think there are regional and historical differences for this recipe

I had a very good one yesterday in Douliu of all places. There were three Vietnamese places on the main Street too!

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s one cup of daddy issues, two quarts of bipolar disorder, three teaspoons of alcoholism, half a cup of gold digger, and sprinkle liberally with the hot fires of hell.

3 Likes

dont be dump!

1 Like

Sorry. Shouldn’t have completed the bingo card with psycho xiaojie. The thread’s taken a turn for the seedy.

1 Like

Does Disqus have an ignore function?