Downsides to moving to Taiwan?

I think you guys don’t need to worry about girls so much. In most cases in any places regardless of races, boys and girls are balanced.

i think most things have already been pointed out. another thing might be, there are some frustrated guys here who apparently like to fool around with girls/women/wives they don’t like because they don’t do sports and are so so DUMP. as the saying goes, opposite does not attract.

back to the banh mi. i’ve had many different ones in kaohsiung and taichung(around the train station) and they were all more or less the same, pretty tasty. i’ve never been to vietnam so i can’t say how authentic they are, the laobanniangs sure are mostly vietnamese.

What are you trying to achieve with such disgustingly misogynist, racist rant (and full of typos btw)? Most of em are dumb, most of the girls in relation are willing to cheat. Are you fucking kidding me?

5 Likes

Try to save man soul and life? And what is your purpose, except being a feminist?

thank you so much, because of you we all have our man soul back and we can finally feel manly again. just like you do

Okay… gotta go with Gain on this one, minus the usual vitriol.

But seriously, have to say D-nice, not everyone has a horrible, soul-sucking marriage. Some of us have a pretty good one. I love my wife, and have a beautiful kid out of it. Yep, there’s less freedom, more responsibilities, and the occasional argument, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything. So there’s that. Maybe you’re just looking in the wrong places? On the other hand (and this isn’t an insult), some people just aren’t built for married life. Perhaps you’re one. Not everyone is though.

2 Likes

Did you pay taiwanese marriage traditons? Someone can tell this guy it cost 20k usd +

And than buy a “house” which cost like 300k.

In taiwan you can call yourself lucky earning 2k per month. Do the math

If shit hit the fan you will have little legal power on court.

Or you can try bring taiwanese wife to your western home. Good luck with that. Most of em are insecure and hardly live without support of family.

You maybe compare to american wifes, do not know about american girls…my friends having easier with european wifes comparing to us with taiwanese wifes.

And i did look at right place and i married good girl.

To each his own.

I know some of you are happy with your taiwanese wifes and maybe somehow you got free ride with taiwanese traditions, yea you can call yorself lucky.

And I do not wanna even start about mainland chinese wifes and their parents

1 Like

lol our wedding was less than half that. It was a western style wedding. My side paid for the ceremony, and her side paid for the reception afterwards.

We live in my wife’s apartment and split the cost of the mortgage.

:roll_eyes:

There will be no “shit hitting the fan.” She doesn’t fit into the stereotypical paradigm that you’ve lumped 100% of Taiwanese women into.

My wife has an awesome relationship with my parents, and I also have a good relationship with her parents. We met each other in the states and plan to move back there in 2 years when our daughter is ready to start her education.

Seems you don’t know much about Taiwanese women either.

I had a friend who had a Russian girlfriend that used him for his money, and cheated on him constantly. That doesn’t mean I think all Russians or European women are like that. So one example does not constitute a larger pattern.

Sounds like you didn’t if you’re typing all this.

Yes, it’s amazing. Some of us actually have… gasphappy marriages! Can you imagine? Please alert the press.

Thank you. I consider myself lucky as well.

I don’t want you to even start about that either.

3 Likes

It can also depend on where you are from. If you are from Europe, it is no surprise European wives might be easier than taiwanese wives.

There are also couples who can enjoy differences between each culture including traditions.

Taiwanese wives in Europe might be telling similar things to what you say.

1 Like

This should be a sticky.

Sounds like you got burned man. Personally, I just don’t get why people marry. I can understand the argument of legality a little, especially if the husband and wife live in other countries. That way the wife or husband can get a spouse visa. Hard to get a visa just for a girlfriend or boyfriend purpose.

I don’t mean to be a pessimist but could married folk actually outline what they’ve gained from marriage? I’m in a monogamous relationship with a woman for over a year. She’s also Asian (non Taiwanese) and would make a superb wife if ever there was going to be one. She’s supportive, positive, beautiful, a body to die for, kind hearted, an excellent cook, fantastic in bed (those who have dated quite a few asian girls will appreciate this quality) intelligent (speaks three languages perfectly) and great fun. But still, I have no desire to marry her yet.

What would I get out of marriage? I’d just lose money on frivolous things like dresses. She’s completely faithful to me and frankly worships the ground I walk on. When I’m sick she’ll look after me, when I’m tired she’ll massage me, and sex is available anytime. Most men would run not walk to put a ring on her.

I care a lot about her too but I’ve just no wish for marriage. I talked to some married folk and a lot don’t seem happy. In Japan, Korea and Taiwan I’ve chatted with a lot of married guys who actually cheated because they claimed their wives just quit sex completely once they got married/had a kid. Either that or she became a demon. Seems to me once women get that ring on their finger they’ve effectively beaten you. They may play the long game and be a dream at the start, but once they’ve got their wishes the ball will be in their court.

So why marry? My opinion to men is if they aren’t happy just divorce her.

Damn, some of you have some real toxic and skewed views on marriage and Asian women in general.

I’m 35. I had my fun up until my early 30s, but the club scene and random hookups gets old at some point. I finally found the full package, and decided this is what I’ve been waiting for. Been married almost 2 years and have an awesome 1 year old daughter I can’t imagine life without now. It’s much more fulfilling than the life I had before, even though there is some added stress. And yes, there are plenty of unhappy marriages. They didn’t choose wisely, so sucks for them. Hopefully you have better judgement. The single life may be great now, but wait 20 years when your looks fade and loneliness and regret creeps up on you. At that point, it’d be nice to have a family, which provides love, security and stability. You sound like you have a great girl. If you lose her because you don’t want to commit (do you know if she does?) then you might know that regret I mentioned sooner than later.

2 Likes

To realstick:

Your question about marriage asks “what’s in it for me?”

My reason for getting married is that I want to take care of my wife. I care about her more than I care about myself. The marriage is not to benefit me.

I give a lot to my wife, and I give up a lot for her. And I don’t mind at all. This is called being a man and taking care of family.

Your question reveals that you are young and very concerned about yourself. Marriage is a giving proposition, not a business deal where you ask what’s in it for me. The purpose is to give yourself away.

6 Likes

Getting back on topic…

The OP made it clear he plans to live in Taipei. I think a number of the negatives mentioned here apply to everywhere but Taipei. There’s a reason than real estate prices in Hsinchu are less than a third than those of Taipei…and it doesn’t have everything to do with job opportunities.

Taipei is a very pedestrian and bicycle friendly city. The central districts of the city have relatively uncluttered verandahs and wide sidewalks. These same spaces in another Taiwanese city would be cluttered with illegally parked cars and scooters or even outright obstructed by furniture and other junk. Kaohsiung has wider roads and less traffic, making it a very scooter friendly city. But it is impossible to stay on the sidewalk there without having to walk on the street to avoid all the junk that is blocking the way.

And also add the fact that Taipei has a dense and developed public transportation network that neither Taichung nor Kaohsiung comes close to matching.

I’ve lived in Hsinchu before. Driving habits there are a lot more aggressive than in central Taipei. When crossing the street, cars will try to either swerve around you or head straight towards you on the assumption that you will move out of their way. In Taipei, cars do not typically yield for pedestrians, but if you are already on the crosswalk, they will typically stop to wait for you to get out of the way before making their move. And I don’t see people running red lights with the frequency I’ve seen in Hsinchu or Kaohsiung.

1 Like

You mean racism and misogyny?

Someone please introduce her to the garbage you wrote here so that she will discover your true color.

There are no real downsides to living in Taipei for the first 6 - 8 months.

1 Like

So many intersections are so poorly designed. It seems they just let a random dude plan them.

road

Instead of putting a roundabout in here. They slapped like 8 traffic lights on this intersection. :person_facepalming:

Those makeshift home temples are driving me nuts. They start loud fireworks at 6.30am on a weekend at times! Regularly just block half of the street to have a party. :angry:

1 Like

But that’s not in Taipei and not something a person living in Taipei without a car would need to care about. Rural Nantou?

If you ever walk around in Taichung you’ll notice that the sidewalks there are a whole lot more uneven and poorly maintained (weeds sticking out of the cracks and such) than in Taipei. And other places such as Hsinchu or Chiayi don’t even have sidewalks.

Again, something very common in southern Taiwan but not something that ever happens in central Taipei.

1 Like

Try Big Table in Daan. So, so good. It’s right behind my apartment and I’m there at least once a week. They have a bunch of sandwiches and that’s all they do. I recommend the avocado BLT, grilled chicken, BBQ pork, and sloppy joe. Pretty much everything there is $250 including fries and iced tea.

2 Likes

And what about after that!?

frantically checks time since moving to Taipei

1 Like