Downsides to moving to Taiwan?

I think a part of the problem is the tendency of posters here (and people in real life, and humans in general) to generalize. Always so much talk about “Taiwanese women” or “Taiwanese men”. There is no average Taiwanese person, and there are no traits that all citizens of Taiwan have in common. How can one even talk about such a thing? This is just a country like any other, full of a huge range of people with a huge range of personalities, beliefs, habits, interests, etc. Some of them you will get along with, some of them you will not. Just like anywhere.

In my interactions with people on the island over the two years I’ve been here, all I can really say is there are just a ton of different people doing tons of different things.

When I read posts like a couple on this thread, I think that maybe the posters are folks who have come here, gone out to a few clubs, gotten laid a few times, and then projected that experience onto the population of the entire country.

I also think language plays into this in a big way. I’ve noticed that as my Chinese gets better, it gets easier to read someone’s personality. With very basic Chinese (or none), you are never going to get a good read on somebody, and therefore everyone is going to seem the same to you, because you are speaking to them in their likely not very good second language. This just feeds the tendency to then generalize.

6 Likes

I sympathise those who’ve had the misfortune of fucking those guys.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation - I don’t think I’d heard of this place before.

Yeah but one caveat. There are some pretty dull people here. Everyone who’s done conversation classes knows that feeling when you go around the class asking about said huge range of interests…and 41% of students reply with “on my weekend I like to watch TV and sleeping”. To be fair it’s getting better but still…

The other thing worth pointing out, this is a forum for foreigners living in Taiwan…it’s completely understandable there are going to be lots of threads analyzing the behaviours of local people.

1 Like

At the risk of popping off generalizations myself, East Asians are typically more reserved than westerners. Of course, there are many exceptions. I have students that are so sassy, quirky or outspoken you’d think they walked off the set of some snappy sitcom.

Anyway, cultural reservation plus much greater difficulty expressing yourself in a second language (and even some of those that can don’t like to answer questions from the teacher, because they’re afraid their language ability is lower than their classmates and they’ll be embarrassed) and that explains the difficulty with getting some students to open up.

I am a man of honor, not many like me out there.
Will be single soon, but sorry honey i do not date taiwanese anymore. Is not personal. Ok

Again i strongly advise not to take taiwanese girls seriously. Saw several taiwanese wife, and their miserable husbands, both locals and foreigners.

Usually guys paying heavy price. Just really, out of blue have you ever asked why millions of taiwanese bringing foreign brides to islands?

I know some of you are lucky, and guys you have no idea how lucky. I thought so too…

Remember, you have been warmed ! They said to me as well, but refused to listened.

Never marry a taiwanese, odds are against you.

1 Like

It is usually “I warn you. Never marry.” Followed by endless downsides of marriage. There are people making that advice anywhere. You are just one of people choosing wrong spouses, not specific for Taiwan.

You might not be suited for international marriage or marriage itself. Why you think it is due to your spouse’s nationality.

1 Like

Dude you are a broken record. .Married over ten years and still going strong. Have kids and a good family life nothing wrong with Taiwanese ladies and don’t include my wife in your pity party just because of her nationality.

6 Likes

i’m 99% sure if you married someone from another country, your (sad) story would’ve turned out exactly the same as it did before and you would be saying the same thing against chilean,russian or whatever country’s women. because women anywhere in the world can’t stand misogynistic guys like you. every second sentence of you starts with men like me, men of honor…wtf are you even talking about, what have you accomplished to act so proud, just because you’re a man? looks like a severe case of narcissism.

2 Likes

WOW…been married twice…once to a US woman - TOTAL disaster!
Taiwanese woman 2nd time - going strong 12 yrs - so far absolutely wonderful!!
Might be time to look in the mirror for the answer to your troubles…

2 Likes

East coast is very quiet.

Relatively quiet. :grinning:

Which country would you live in for the long term between Taiwan/Japan/Korea?

Women are wonderful no matter where they come from.

That is a big generalization.

People are wonderful no matter where they come from.

If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen. : )

Guy

2 Likes

Didn’t you post some time ago that wife and you were expecting? What happens to the kid?

What sort of things changed after you tied the knot?

Makes me think if it is just an act to rope you in, because marriage here needs both parties to agree to a divorce so you are essentially trapped if you do get married and want out and she doesn’t.

I love my wife and my life here. Not everything is perfect, but that is true about any place. However, if I never had met my wife and I could do things differently, I would pick Japan.

1 Like

Are there any opportunities for Taiwanese to work in Japan?
If you work in Japan, can you sponsor your wife’s visa?