Downsides to moving to Taiwan?

FYI

Immigration Bureau of Japan

Application for Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted

added:
oops, sorry, I thought your question were can your spouse work in japan?
On your question, I think in many cases you can sponsor your family.

VISA / Residing in Japan : Work or Long-term stay
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/long/index.html

Anyone ever moved from Singapore to Taiwan, or Taiwan to Singapore? Might have to move there for any career advancement eventually, although I feel like I will really, really miss Taiwan. Singapore is like one big damn mallā€¦

I spent last week in Hanoi and the baguettes were the best I have ever eaten.

1 Like

Hopefully. Unfortunately thereā€™s a few.

ā€œSoonā€? Why do you need to wait? Do it now and stop dragging out what could only be an unhealthy relationship for both your sakes.

(I also canā€™t wait to see @Gain ā€˜s response to you calling him/her ā€œhoneyā€)

Iā€™m sure the feeling is mutual.

1 Like

lol.

Singapore is cool though, they get loads of events there like concerts and sporting events, F1 etc

Iā€™ve wanted to visit Singapore for years. Heard the food is awesome. That said, I heard you can check out the whole island in a weekend. And cost of living is much higher than Taiwan, of course.

You should go, flights are about $300 return.

I can afford it, I just donā€™t have the time right now. Might go with the fam during the summer.

yea the culture is pretty different here. if you are planning to marry you need to do your research and know where you stand. you could end up living with the parents or be expected to buy a house or do all the cooking and cleaning for your husbands family if you are a woman. diving into a marriage blind is not very smart imo. so yea no need to slander all taiwanese women, just do your research, know what you may be in for and stand up for your side of things if need be.

iā€™m pretty sure D-nice didnā€™t do his research, didnā€™t take the warmings, had a bad experience and now thinks all taiwanese girls are dump as a result of it.

3 Likes

Is it common for TW women ever pull the old switch-a-roo. They say no to living with family or being expected to buy a house etc, you get married and then SURPRISE the old switch-a-roo happens and you are expected to buy a house and have grandma and grandpa living with you.

People are different. Some might be deceptive, and some arenā€™t. I know that kind of situation has happened, but itā€™s not my experience or any of the married ex-pats I know.

Like anywhere in the world, people just need to make sure they really know who theyā€™re marrying.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sujre itā€™s not black and white.
For instance most folks would like to buy their own house after marriage.

1 Like

Well wife is in special hospital, right now it seems i will raise up a son on my own. Maybe in the future she is strong enough to help me raise him up as well (as divorced parents). No matter what, she is mother of my child and i will help her.

Like i said i picked up good girl from good family, her siblings are all fine. Parents too, just she was not. Hided her twisted mentality really well for years. I deal with mental unstable people before, and never recognise she has troubles.

Anyway, this is this.

Yea am bitter as fuck, but is kinda normal. Folks, sorry for being offensive

Sorry to hear that. Good luck!

Japan. If you can get away from the big cities theres a good lifestyle to be had. Seoul is really all to see in South Korea and it gets old fast. Taiwan is alright for about a year in my opinion, by then youā€™ll have seen and done it all.

Ultimately itā€™s about which culture you like best? Have you lived in these places?

Vietnamese food is awesome I agree. I shouldnā€™t have included Vietnam. I was taking a stab at the Louisa coffeeā€™s and 7/11/ Family Mart or Lawson offerings

You are wrong about Taiwan, thereā€™s cool stuff Iā€™m still discovering here after almost 20 years.
But that doesnā€™t mean I donā€™t love exploring Asia and Japan too!

2 Likes

No Iā€™m not wrong, as itā€™s my own opinion. Just as youā€™re entitled to yours. Iā€™m touring asia with my girlfriend. Weā€™ve lived in Japan, Korea and Vietnam for about 1 year each. Some of those countries we thought itā€™d be nice to stay another few months. However, we felt a year was more than enough in Taiwan.

We donā€™t really like cities (good thing, as they are polluted wastelands here) and are nature lovers. So weā€™ve seen tons of places here. Both popular and lesser known. We really think Taiwan is a pretty nice island once you get away from the cities. But theres nothing left to see for us. Thatā€™s not a slight against Taiwan.

For a small island itā€™s surprisingly dense with things to see and do provided one puts in some leg work.

you donā€™t want to live in the cities but you expect the countryside to be full of things to do?

Big cities no. Seoul, Tokyo, Osaka and Hanoi. Big cities. Crowded and stressful. The smaller cities closer to nature like those youā€™ll find in Hokkaido and Kyushu in Japan are ideal.

Those cities find a good balance of rural charm but not big city life. All the mod cons and amenities for your convinience but also close enough to the beach just a short bus ride away.

Expats and foreigners always fall into the same train of thought when moving to a Asian country ā€œIā€™ve gotta live in the biggest city as that is where everything is happening.ā€ But not really. Tapei is one of the most boring cities on earth. Taichung worse. Kaohsiung is the best choice.

Most foreigners living in the capitals claim to have spent a year in a new culture -when really they just stayed in their expat community in the city - well, theyā€™re the type who think countryside is boring