DPP and restricted online freedom

[quote]MND under fire for response to threat to Chen - Taipei Times

Former army honor guard Chu Chao-kang (屈肇康), who left a message in an Internet chatroom saying that he wanted to harm the president, was indicted last week, with prosecutors seeking a seven year prison sentence.

Chu left a message in a Yahoo chatroom identifying himself as an army honor guard. He wrote that when President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) welcomed Nauru President Ludwig Scotty with an honor guard from the air force, the army and the navy on March 7, “I almost could not resist the urge to poke my M-1 rifle into the president’s head.”[/quote]

Thank goodness these Taiwanese prosecutors don’t skim forumosa. Half the posters would be indicted by now.
But that could explain the drop in activity in the TP section.

:runaway:

This reminds me when DPP wanted to ban Jackie Chan’s movies after he said 2004 ROC election aftermath is the biggest joke ever.

Online freedom? I don’t want to paint all of the DPP in a negative light. I still respect elements within the New Tide Faction, as well as within the TSU.

However, I certainly don’t think the Presidential Office people value online freedom.

As I mentioned in a previous post, as soon as PO crony appointments were named to high positions within Taiwan’s international development agency in June 2004, limits were placed on most project officers’ Internet access. In other words, employees couldn’t surf the Internet at their own cubicles. On each floor (where maybe 50 or 60 people work) one public computer with unlimited access was placed in a common room.

Why did they do this? Someone in cyberspace tried to hack one of the project officer’s computers in the technical cooperation department. While security precautions needed to be implemented, cutting people’s online resources severely hampered their ability to get their work done in a timely manner.

Then again, in my opinion, the IT people in the organization were piss weak. One of them (he is Chinese) has a background in teaching kindy students. I often had to ask them 3 or 4 times just to get something fairly simple done. Of course, they get their jobs renewed every time.

Green? Blue? Both brown. Both 14th Century medievalists.

Bonzai.

Well it just seems so out of proportion.

When an underground radio station advocated the assassination of Mayor Ma a month ago. No one was indicted. These are people breaking ROC laws broadcasting on a frequency they have no right to.

However, when some grunt goes online and post random “My job sucks, I wish I could my supervisor” type of message in an open forum, where people ranting is common place and expected, not to mention totally legal. He gets railroaded.

Does anyone know if there are any such restrictions for White House staff? Probably not because their loyalty is unquestionable. The PO on the other hand is staffed with iron rice bowl people who might purposefully copy sensitive material and post it online. That would explain the restrictions.