DPP's PRC military threat video?

It is in Chinese. used to encourage people to join anti-ASL event.

Anyone knows if it is on the Internet somewhere?

Xie Xie

Yep, here it is:

flurl.com/item/318_CF_u_94917/

FLURL-dot-com-94917-DPP_CF_C_40s.wmv is the Mandarin version.

xie xie, cctang.

Funny they used the (Beijing) standard Mandarin, incredibly standard.
If not for the content, I’d think it is from CCTV.

Nah, it’s still pretty clearly Taiwan’s Mandarin, but not Minnan accented “Taiwan Mandarin” as spoken by BSR.

But come on, the Taiwanese versions are more fun! They still don’t pronounce their F’s. Or M’s for that matter.

護民主,反併吞
ho bin zu, HUAN bing tun

Or as You Xi Kun says:

中國佇舊年(在去年)通過《反分裂法》
diong gok dik gu ni tong gue HUAN HUN LIK HUAK

lol… It’s like a tongue-twister.

Well, sounds very Beijing standard to me ( with the exception of one or two words now that I listened to it a couple of times more.)

As for CSB’s Mandarin, is it just me or do other people need the subtitle too if they want to understand him 100%? My parents (Beijingers) just look at the subtitle coz it is “too much effort” to listen to(or decode) what he says.

Taiwan’s Mandarin has a few characteristics you can catch:

• vowels are more “closed,” especially on “an” “uan”
  • not closing the nasals “eng” “ing”, making them almost indistinguishable from “en” “in”
  • not using soft (or 5th) tone very much, so everything is pronounced with tone emphasized

This is what you would hear on Taiwan TV.

As for CSB’s Mandarin performance and BSR’s accented Mandarin, well… to understand that, you’ll need to know some characterstics of Minnan hua. That’s harder to explain and I don’t think I’ll try.

The first video that narration Minnan so it is definitely not standard Mandarin. Unless you mean the parts where politicians are speaking Mandarin, of course it is Mainland putonghua with Mainland regional accents. “W” is pronouce with some “V.” The way “沒” was prounounced when emphasized is definitely something rare on Taiwan.

The second video is narrated by a women speaking with a Taiwan accented Mandarin, not Minnan accented. Although some of the inflection are Minnan borrowed. You can catch a few characteristics found Taiwan mandarin when she pronounces

Taiwanese-accented Mandarin has a lot of the same characteristics all southern Chinese have… there’s that little lisp where ‘sh’ sounds like ‘s’, etc. And definitely no curling of the 'r’s that all Beijing-ren are supposed to have. Noticeable in the video above too.

I can’t really complain too much about Chen Shui-bian. Many amongst the mainland Chinese leadership speak putonghua with a heavy, heavy accent as well: Deng Xiaoping and Mao Zedong come to mind. Thank god for the current generation of leadership, with folks like Wen Jiabao.

Now, back to subject. Apparently the DPP was so pressed to boost up attendence numbers, they threatened all members of the DPP legislative caucus. Anyone not attending would be fined $NT50000, and subject to future party discipline. The turn-out was estimated at 150,000 by “organizers”, and 45,000 by the police.

You mean the joke about Deng mispronoucing words to sound like “pubic hair” is still popular these days.

It pretty common knowledge that the DPP have been strong-arming the business community as well.

The thing that has most people pants in a bunch is the DPP claimed they were not the KMT. The problem is that they behave exactly like the KMT during the early days, but with on important exception, noticeable domestic economic growth.

Anyways I find these “political” events to be more rent a carnival type atmosphere. The don’t even try to pretend that they want any pan-Blue supporters there.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]You mean the joke about Deng mispronoucing words to sound like “pubic hair” is still popular these days.

It pretty common knowledge that the DPP have been strong-arming the business community as well.

The thing that has most people pants in a bunch is the DPP claimed they were not the KMT. The problem is that they behave exactly like the KMT during the early days, but with on important exception, noticeable domestic economic growth.

Anyways I find these “political” events to be more rent a carnival type atmosphere. The don’t even try to pretend that they want any pan-Blue supporters there.[/quote]
Prove your assertions by showing me a massacre that has led to the deaths of tens of thousands, a “Green Terror”, and martial law set by the Pan Greens. Otherwise retract your satatement.

What’s that one? I’m guessing he was attempting to say something lke, I have no hidden agenda/plan, which if mispronounced, like some foreigner once did to my ex-girlfriend in a pub, sounds like I have no pubic hair. :laughing:

She didn’t believe him for a second.

There is of course another exception . . . no mass-executions.*

HG

• Edit: Most days I think this is a good thing, but there are those odd dark days when I can definitely see the upside.

[quote=“cctang”]Taiwanese-accented Mandarin has a lot of the same characteristics all southern Chinese have… there’s that little lisp where ‘sh’ sounds like ‘s’, etc. And definitely no curling of the 'r’s that all Beijing-ren are supposed to have. Noticeable in the video above too.

I can’t really complain too much about Chen Shui-bian. Many amongst the mainland Chinese leadership speak putonghua with a heavy, heavy accent as well: Deng Xiaoping and Mao Zedong come to mind. Thank god for the current generation of leadership, with folks like Wen Jiabao.

Now, back to subject. Apparently the DPP was so pressed to boost up attendence numbers, they threatened all members of the DPP legislative caucus. Anyone not attending would be fined $NT50000, and subject to future party discipline. The turn-out was estimated at 150,000 by “organizers”, and 45,000 by the police.[/quote]

In the video clip, s and sh (z and zh, ect.) are clearnly and correctly distinguished. That’s why it sounds so “standard” to me.

The curling “r” is only a colloquial thing, and we don’t use it in formal speech.

Mao’s accent was quite heavy. Hu and Wen speak quite standard. It is a generation difference, as opposed to personal or regional.

Anyways, I find Ma’s accent a lot more pleasing to the ear than CSB’s. (for my liking anyways)

CSB does not speak standard anything. He is speaking guoyu with Minnan phonemes and Mandarin tones.

I’m also a mainlander, and speak a very standard putonghua (despite being from Nanjing). I also lived in Beijing for about half a year.

You can’t say it’s only a generational thing. There are still many in the current central leadership who speak accented putonghua… albeit far less so than Deng or Mao, both of whom were about as bad as Chen Shui-bian. Wen Jiabao’s putonghua is very proper… but Hu Jintao, being a fellow Jiangsu-er, still has a noticeable southern 'twang to his speech. It might be subtle, but it’s definitely there. Jiang Zemin, despite being from Yangzhou, worked really hard on his speech… you can almost feel him working hard on every syllable.

The voice in the video is alright. She’s still got a pretty strong accent, IMO. There are better Taiwanese anchors on TVBS in terms of proper speech.

Proper speech? That’s big of you. One day I suppose the PRC will send down a bunch of Chinese teachers to sort out the elocution problem. :laughing:

Speaking of weird accents/voices, have you ever heard Lin Biao speak? Apparently he was so traumatised he could only take a dump in a bedpan while perched under a blanket on his bed. You can hear it in his voice.

HG

Proper as in standardized, not as in having propriety.

Not according to the folks who administer the Putonghua Shuiping Ceshi. Candidates are expected to use -er hua appropriately. Because of this, some northerners, and even some Beijingers fail because they use -er hua according to the practices within their own small region.

I would agree that in Taiwan, though, -er hua is one of those things that is taught but rarely used by most speakers.

I think that’s somewhat different. The exams test whether you can produce the extra phonemes in cases where er hua occurs, and the 儿 is marked. It’s a phonetic test. It doesn’t say that standard vocabulary should be pronounced with er hua (with the exception of vocabulary that only exists in er hua form like 一会儿). So it’s not “using” er hua properly as much as pronouncing er hua properly.

Now, many people object to the whole concept of er hua being part of putonghua, because if you think about it, it really doesn’t belong. Standard vocabulary exist almost all in not er-hua’ed form, except in texts specifically attempting to render dialect speech (kinda analogous ta spellin’ like dis.) Another analogy is it’s like writing 警察克 to indicate a final glottal stop (exists in many dialects) and adding glottalized phonemes to putonghua. For that matter, if they had to start over with putonghua, they might want to reject 一会儿, but use instead 一歇.

[quote=“Jive Turkey”][quote=“Marvin”]

The curling “r” is only a colloquial thing, and we don’t use it in formal speech.
[/quote]
Not according to the folks who administer the Putonghua Shuiping Ceshi. Candidates are expected to use -er hua appropriately. Because of this, some northerners, and even some Beijingers fail because they use -er hua according to the practices within their own small region.

I would agree that in Taiwan, though, -er hua is one of those things that is taught but rarely used by most speakers.[/quote]

Should’ve been more precise.

Yes you are right. Some "er"ization is standard Mandarin. (And some is colloquial. I know. must be confusing to Chinese learners)
The words that are "er"ized in standard Mandarin are definitely a subset of words Beijingers would "er"ize in their DAILY speech.

Beijingers do use a lot more “er” than people from elsewhere, but my point was they,or most of them, generally know when to drop “er” if the situation requires absolutely formal speech.

No, I haven’t heard Lin Biao’s accent. I like the accents of Zhao Ziyang and Zhu Rongji. Wen Jiabao’s accent is propor but rather stiff.

As for generational versus personal difference, I agree there are exceptions, but overall, the younger generation, be them leaders or just just people in general,do speak more properly, even Ma vs. Jiang Jieshi. (proper = standard)

I think it’s proper for someone of his generation and pretty “standard” relative to the rest of the population, but his tone range is not especially standard. My bet is that if you analyzed his speech with a computerized speech lab kit, you’d find that his range is smaller than what is now considered “standard” (as in PSC kind of standard). It would likely be most noticeable in second tones that don’t come before or after a third tone or before a first tone.

I enjoy hearing him speak. A very articulate guy who takes his time to say exactly what he wants to say. He has a way of building rapport with his audience without sounding colloquial. Of course one reason he can relax and take his time is because he never has to take the full heat from the press.