Dr. Atkins Diet

It’s funny how so many people fail to answer Maoman’s questions and instead attack the Atkins diet. I think this area should be for answering his questions. If u want to attack the Atkins diet, please start your own discussion topic.

Maoman, the new grocery store at 101 has Crystal Light and sugar-free Koolaid! (I love sweets! but need to watch my gut too!) If I recall correctly, they have sugar free jello as well. There is a small western grocery store in Yong-he that carried diet rootbeer (Grandma Nitti’s has A&W rootbeer, but not the diet stuff!), which is also caffeine free. I haven’t been there for a while, so I’m not sure whether they still carry it any longer. However, it wouldn’t surprise me if they were to have other diet drinks and such too.

Melba toast? never heard of it, sorry!

A friend of mine lost a lot of weight on the Atkins and still looks really good (he goes on and off it now). Keep up the effort! It’ll be worth it. My friend said that u can also buy over the internet Atkins chocolate, etc.! However, it might be a bit expensive. U can also try GNC and the other sports places. Maybe they’ll have sports-bars low in carbs…

If I think of anything else, I’ll let u know.

Good luck!

Toast some bead on both sides. Slice it in two horizontally and toast the white sides of each slice.

Should one follow the diet advice of a 258 pound man who dies at 72 after a history of congestive heart failure and high blood pressure?

seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/h … ins10.html

To be fair, according to the article, he died after slipping on an icy street and hitting his head, not from any health-related issues. It also said that he weighed 195 pounds when he was first admitted into the hospital in a coma. The rapid weight gain was due to fluid-retention, a symptom common to critically-ill patients. His enlarged heart was due to a viral infection he had suffered years earlier. And this is all from an article you’re using to assert that his diet advice was off-base? It doesn’t really help your case, does it?

Actually, regardless of how he died, while a high-fat, high-protein diet (I think that’s what he advocated) may allow one to indulge in lots of tasty Fred Fests, I don’t think it’s a healthy thing. And I’ve noticed over the years that people offering diet advice often seem to have the most trouble with a healthy diet themselves.

I’m with Fred:

[quote=“braxtonhicks”]G & G
421 Zhongshan N. Rd. Section 6

[/quote]

I believe they moved, they are now in the alley off Chungshan across from the tienmu grocery (leading away from the bank of taiwan)

fwiw i lost ten kilos this year going to the gym 3 or 4 times a week and cutting as many carbs as i reasonably could from my diet.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Should one follow the diet advice of a 258 pound man who dies at 72 after a history of congestive heart failure and high blood pressure?

seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/h … ins10.html[/quote]

I gues you didn’t bother to read much of the story:
story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … cal_report

[quote=“AP wire”] The doctor’s heart troubles had been previously known publicly, and the council asserted Tuesday that they were a result of cardiomyopathy, or an enlarged heart, which it said stemmed from a viral infection, not diet.

Physicians for Responsible Medicine, the group that released the report and promotes a vegetarian diet, acknowledged that fluid retention may have been responsible for some of Atkins’ weight gain, but probably not all of it. The group maintains that the Atkins diet poses weight and health risks to the millions who follow it.

Atkins weighed 195 pounds when he was admitted

In April 2002, a year before he died, Atkins issued a statement saying he was recovering from cardiac arrest related to a heart infection he had suffered from. . . .

The Atkins diet recently gained renewed popularity after studies showed that people lost weight without compromising their health. The studies showed that Atkins dieters’ cardiovascular risk factors and overall cholesterol readings changed for the better.

Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner, declined to comment on the report, which she said was erroneously released to a doctor in Nebraska who requested it and apparently gave it to the vegetarian group.

It was later discovered that the doctor was not “the treating physician” and should not have had access to the report. Borakove said her office planned to complain to Nebraska health officials.[/quote]

So, let’s see: some bunch of vegetarian wackos, who have a preexisting ideological axe to grind with the Atkins Diet, lies to obtain the coroner’s report, then misrepresents the status of Atkins’ health. Sounds like you’ve done your homework as usual, MT. :moo:

I was aware of the Atkin’s diet and had heard both the hype of people shedding incredible amounts of weight and also the side effects: that it was really just starving your brain of carbohydrates so it began using your fat for energy and the fact that you stink from eating so many chunks of burnt animal carcasses (or the common name - meat). So enter I into the US where every bloody food commercial, including those classic health food vendors Dunkin’ Donuts and McDonald’s, is talking about carbs, low carbs, fewer carbs than…, blah, blah, blah. Granted, I am far from a supermodel figure, but after taking a glimpse at the local wildlife, I can see where desperate matters would warrant a miracle diet.

So, is the Atkin’s diet actually healthy or is it just another dangerous fad diet?

Yes.

[quote=“fredericka bimmel”]Atkins schmatkins. I lost 10 kilos in two months by reducing calories, working out regularly, cutting down on fats and sweets and eating lots of raw vegetables. I’m not prone to fad diets because they’re notoriously hard to stick to because you get these awful cravings that won’t go away until you’ve ruined your diet, putting you back to square one.
Besides, the weight comes back a little slower when you are just very careful rather than doing strange things to your system.
It always comes back, though. :frowning:[/quote]

Yes, it’s a fad diet. And apart from the oat bran craze of 1988-1989, I’ve never seen one as pervasive and annoying. Now, in the US, every food producer and restaurant is promoting “low carb” or “Atkins friendly”. I saw a low-carb burger - it simply has no bun. It’s carb this, carb that, and I’m getting sick of it. You can’t go a day without hearing the word “carb”. And it’s never “carbohydrate”; it’s always “carb”. I even saw a vodka ad that stated “No carbs”. You know that when breakfast cereals start engaging in fad diets (like the oat bran craze), that saturation point has been reached.

The whole thing is about to implode upon itself, and soon some medical study will come out (and a few have already come out) saying that the Atkins diet is ineffective or dangerous.

I had an assessment with my pilates instructor who told me to try the atkins thing . I was on it for three weeks and did not lose a pound. And felt sick all the time. However it did get me off the sugar trail. So now I am just eating veges, and fruit and plenty of protein, with no sugar and salt-except organic salt. I have also switched to mainly organic foods and am eating plenty of eggs (sort of a watered down atkins thing with out the lack of a wide range of vegetables) I have cut out bread, as Ifeel better without it, and for grains only eat brown rice or corn.
I am also walking every day, and doing pilates six times a week. -and in one week I have lost three kg. I think th atkins can work really well for some- but you need to find your own path.
It has to be what feels right for your own body. I feel like I have much more energy since I started to eat this way

Are you in Taiwan? I’d like to do pilates here-guess I should start a new thread.

Here’s a link with some chat about the South Beach Diet. Sounds great…but a bit faddish. I’d love to lose 5-10kg of fat, but I will focus on cutting the carbs, increasing the veges, and limiting fat-laden protein.

southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/forum-3.html

no i am not - but i am not near my pilates instructor either!
she is actually my cousin and she wrote up a great plan for me that i do every day - in the comfort of my own home. i have seen some huge changes in the last three months since i started doing it.
as a singer it is great for your breathing, as a completely stressy person it is great for restoring calm, and for fitness it has made a great difference.
i am totally sold on the benefits of pilates (although you need to do cardio stuff to for balance)

Congratulations and well done for sticking with the plan. :bravo: :sunglasses:

I’ve read that it’s helpful for posture, back strength, and flexibility-and I always wanted to make it a component of my fitness efforts. However, I have yet to hear of any pilates gyms here in Taipei, and guess that the equipment would cost an arm, and a leg to purchase. :s

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Diet Coke in Taiwan, though not recently (then again, I haven’t been looking for it). Anyone know if it’s still being sold?

If you can get the artificial sweetener, unsweetened iced tea with a little of the artificial stuff added might satisfy you. It’s certainly easy enough to buy tea around here. I know for sure I’ve seen artificial sweetener for sale in Hong Kong supermarkets - again, anyone know if you can find it in Taiwan?

[quote=“robert_storey”]I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Diet Coke in Taiwan, though not recently (then again, I haven’t been looking for it). Anyone know if it’s still being sold?

If you can get the artificial sweetener, unsweetened iced tea with a little of the artificial stuff added might satisfy you. It’s certainly easy enough to buy tea around here. I know for sure I’ve seen artificial sweetener for sale in Hong Kong supermarkets - again, anyone know if you can find it in Taiwan?[/quote]

Both diet coke and artificial sweetener are widely available. Diabetes is very common here, and finally the food industry is waking up to the need for food without sugar. Large stores (Carrefore, Dollar, etc.) even have sugarless cookies and snacks.

There is an interesting article on these diets this week on the Slate web site. Here is the link:

slate.msn.com/id/2105224/