Dr. Eye 6.0

Anyone using Dr. Eye 6.0, English version for windows? Happy with it?

Is it new?

If it offers the option of updating the dictionary database with your own entries in a seamless way (especialy where the updates can be exported to and imported from a file for backup purposes), I’d buy it in a heartbeat. That’s my biggest beef with earlier versions is the fact that you can’t update it with new vocabulary. There are too many common phrases it just doesn’t have.

7’s the newest. 6 offers the auto-updating and everything - I’m using it and have been for a bit and it’s teh awesome.

I think it’s a bit expensive … is it worth buying?

It’s not bad for reading online, or if you’re translating a document in electronic file format to begin with, just for a quick check or lookup. I sometimes use it when reading the online Chinese newspaper if the article looks like something I’m not familiar with. Of course I’ve got the older version from like 2001 (but it still works!)

My older version came with some e-books bundled, too – like an encyclopedia. Kind of cool. I don’t know if they still have that option or not. It’s the same one that used to come on the Besta electronic dictionaries but the name escapes me at present.

I use Stardict, an open source alternative. Works well for me and it’s free to boot. Also it’s available for both windows and Linux.

stardict.sourceforge.net/
there are also other languages besides just En and Chinese. I have Fr and spanish installed as well.

I recommend BABYLON. It’s just so much more accurate than Dr Eye. www.babylon.com

$49 for just the dictionary program seems a bit steep, though. Another thing that gave me pause is that there is no description of the “other languages” dictionaries. Wonder where they got them from, how many terms they have, etc.?

Anyone using Systran?

thanks Canis, just installed Babylon and it seems to work fine. Accurate enough for my current chinese skills…

I scrapped the older version and absolutely LOVE version 6. You can indeed update the dictionary You can export and import user-defined dictionaries - importing one created by someone else simply adds to your database — wonderful! You can also annotate existing entries.

I can’t imagine the improvements v. 7 has!

Chris,

What exactly Do you mean by “You can export and import user-defined dictionaries - importing one created by someone else simply adds to your database”? Is the imported database simply added on without affecting the original database in any way, or does it overwrite the original definitions/translations?

I’m using the version of Dr. eye which came out in 2002. When I install a certain database designed as a supplement to Dr. eye, the new definitions actually replace/overwrite the original ones. This is a problem, since I still need to use the original dr. eye database in conjunction with the supplemental database. Ideally, I should be able to click the supplemental database on and off as needed, but so far I haven’t found any way to do so. Will this be possible with 6.0? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

[quote=“bhavana”]Chris,

What exactly Do you mean by “You can export and import user-defined dictionaries - importing one created by someone else simply adds to your database”? Is the imported database simply added on without affecting the original database in any way, or does it overwrite the original definitions/translations?[/quote]
You can’t overwrite entries already in the original database. If you try, it says “The word exists; cannot be user-defined”. Also, if you import someone else’s user-defined dictionary, it will not overwrite entries in your user-defined dictionary.