Dragging butt on surfaces

Is this normal behavior for a lil 13 wk puppy? Just this morning, took her out on the front lawn to do her potty and after #2, she dragged her butt on the grass… then when she got in, a lil’ while later, saw her drag her butt on the kitchen floor - twice within 10 mins.

Worms or blocked anal glands. It is normal in that it is quite common, but not healthy. You seemed to have taken care of the worms with meds. You may have to empty the anal glands or get the vet to.

Most common is worms. If the pooch was dewormed while her stool weren’t tip top shape, it’s highly possible that the meds ran right through her and she’ll need to be dewormed again.

marboulette

I hate it on the rare times my cat does that on the carpet after a dump. He does that to get rid of any residual shit. Now he just comes to me and I can smell it and i wash out his butt. Hes sure not going to clean it himself (smart cat).

Shaving the area around his butthole will help with this predicament. Cats are very clean and do not like sticky things -liek poop- sticking to their derrieres.

As to teh OP, ask the vet to teach you how to do the anal squeeze properly, and remind yourself to do it frequently.

Or feed natural food (a raw diet) that will cause your pet to create firmer stools that express anal glands the way that nature intended.

We de-worm all our dogs the day they are rescued, and we never had any problems with dogs doing the “skidoo.” NEVER, unless they get worms again. And none of them are strictly fed raw. It’s a worm thing 99% of the time. Makes their ass itchy.

marboulette

If your dogs have a problem with worms, then they likely are prone to fleas. Fleas tend to go for those animals with a weaker immune system - just one more reason to feed a biologically appropriate diet. When I was at AT, we only had two flea outbreaks in four years, due to newcomers not being treated for them, and they only lasted a week or so. You’ll find that naturally fed dogs’ immune systems protect them from flea infestations. My own twelve dogs never get fleas nor scoot their butts.

You could also add a clove of garlic per 10kg of dog per day to their diet, as this seems to keep many parasites at bay, including fleas and ticks.

We’ve had a couple outbreaks, too. Ticks and fleas. It’s true that dogs with stronger immune systems fend the little bastards better, hence why young street puppies tend to be infested far more severely than the average adult street dog.

The bottom line is keeping your dog free of these parasites is a good way to address the issue of butt dragging at the root of the problem. I think it makes sense that a dog will have a very strong immune system on such a diet because it has more bacteria, etc, that a dog naturally processes. Said dog ends up with more antibodies and thus, a stronger immune system. The result is less fleas and less chances of ending up with worms.

The same as if parents keep their kids inside and bleach everything all the time in the house for the first five years of the kids’ life. These kids usually get sick the minute they start school and they stay sick for a long time until they get the proper antibodies.

marboulette

[quote=“Stray Dog”]If your dogs have a problem with worms, then they likely are prone to fleas. Fleas tend to go for those animals with a weaker immune system - just one more reason to feed a biologically appropriate diet. When I was at AT, we only had two flea outbreaks in four years, due to newcomers not being treated for them, and they only lasted a week or so. You’ll find that naturally fed dogs’ immune systems protect them from flea infestations. My own twelve dogs never get fleas nor scoot their butts.

You could also add a clove of garlic per 10kg of dog per day to their diet, as this seems to keep many parasites at bay, including fleas and ticks.[/quote]

Is that raw or cooked garlic?

If I have a 5kg dog, then I give him half a garlic, right, if my Math is correct. Now, how often do you give it to teh dog? Once a week? Once a month? Daily?

Half a clove of garlic per day.