Drinking and driving fine + leaving Taiwan

Cool, only a little bit over then, just pay the fine and get it over with.

I usually take a train, a bus or a taxi when I plan to drink. Cheaper than being stopped.

[quote=“lupillus”][quote=“RobinTaiwan”]0.37 is more than three times what you needed to be charged with public endangerment, and about ten times the legal limit.

You may very well be able to leave Taiwan. The district attorney has to send a request to the department of immigration to flag you at the airport. You didn’t cause an accident and no one got hurt so your chances of being able to leave are pretty good, in my opinion. If you were to be flagged, customs would simply radio the cargo guys, retrieve your luggage and ask you to go home and try again after the charges are resolved.

Upon coming back to Taiwan, your chances of being flagged would be much greater because your case WILL eventually be reported to the immigration if you left and failed your legal obligations.[/quote]

I think you misread the OP’s post. It’s 0.37mg/liter, not 0.37% BAC. At 0.37% there’s no chance he would have been operating any kind of vehicle since he would be plastered to the floor, and quite likely he would have died instead of still being able to post on Forumosa.

His BAC was likely to have been something similar to 0.074%.[/quote]

Oh… OK. Well then, at around 0.074%, you were above the legal limit, but well below the “criminal” limit of 0.11. So you can leave Taiwan and come back as you please. You can’t legally drive for a year and you will have to pay the fine if you want this suspension lifted after a year. In other words, if you don’t pay the fine you can still live in Taiwan and travel outside of Taiwan but you can’t drive anything else than a 50cc scooter or a bicycle when you’re in Taiwan for a year or longer if the fine remains unpaid.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

The limit in Taiwan is 0,05% … if checked in a normal road side inspection, 0.0 - 0.01 % is the limit if caught in an accident with injuries …

There are two limits in Taiwan.

[quote][i]Over 0.05% but under 0.11%: TWD 15,000 to 60,000 fine, and license suspension for 1 year.

0.11% and above: license suspension for 1 year, and charge of offences against public safety with possible prison sentence up to 1 year as the maximum penalty. If the driver is convicted of causing accidents, the penalty shall be increased by half.

If the driver causes serious injuries or death, the license will be suspended for life.[/i]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_driv … by_country[/quote]

Cool guys, thanks very much for all the help. There’s some useful information here. If I remember, I’ll put up another posting about how things go when I leave and return. As for those who voiced irritation, I can understand how you feel. For what it’s worth, I went clubbing on my bicycle last night :slight_smile:

So How it goes ? can you leave Taiwan without any problem?

I support you. You gotta remember that this Forumosa community is full of haters. They hear drink + drive and they think you are just the worst piece of $hit on the planet, but in reality everyone has done it before. You were wrong, but you know that. Shit happens. Humans do stupid things. How many people here on a daily basis drive drunk in this country? I bet 1 in 40 drivers on the road here have alcohol in their system. Most laborers drink paolyta (Bal Li Da) before breakfast here. So I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. In all honestly If you were to never return Taiwan, then you would be fine if you left the country. There is no way that your information would be connected to leaving Taiwan because you weren’t arrested. If you wanted to return to Taiwan then yeah it might cause some problems in the future, but if you were just to return for a visit I bet going through immigration wouldn’t sound any alarms, but this is just what I think. Drinking and driving here has recently become a bigger deal, but they aren’t going to go after you if you leave. You scooter will be lost, but it sounds likes you don’t even care. My friend here got a DUI and never paid his 15,000nt fine to get his scooter back. This was 1.5 years ago and he has never had any problems.

My close Canadian friend stayed in this country 12 years illegally. A few years ago he wanted to go home. He never had an ARC and stopped doing visa runs 12 years ago. Anyway, he wanted to leave. So he turned himself in. We went with to help him turn himself into the local Taoyuan police station. He had already bought a plane ticket home that was flying in a few days. He was immediately detained and taken to a special holding cell outside the city. He was interrogated a little, but not much. He was in a single holding cell for a few days. He wasn’t fined and was taken to the airport a few days later to make sure he caught his flight. Are you kidding me? If that happened in any other country in the world he would have done jail time and then been deported. He was here 12 years illegally!!! So, just to put it into perspective. Your little DUI isn’t going to sound any alarms if you decide to bounce.
Good luck! Be safer next time. :sunglasses:

I bet nothing happens when you try to leave. The DMV and Immigration are likely not tied together. Someone from the DMV would have to file something with Immigration, very unlikely. Truth is there are a lot of DWIs and unpaid tickets, yours is just another on the computer.

I know a girl who works at a club and received 4 DWIs (she looks sexy and drinks for a living which she does both very well) they finally took her in on the 4th one, for several years they did nothing.

Nothing is connected on the computer here.

For example our dear Scottish friend was able to come back under a different name lol.

If you are not coming back who cares.

yes… my friend left Taiwan without any hassles :wink:

Hope the cops enjoyed selling shitty old scooter for him.