Drinking and smoking

Hmmm…is it just me or is the chinese/taiwanese people extremely happy about drinking and smoking?
I’ve lived 6 months in China with my boyfriend and every other day when we’re out having dinner (usually with two or three friends/business-“friends”) they need to drink themselves drunk! Same shit happens here, the business-fellows are just replaced with their colleagues.
And they smoke during dinner - everybody of course - after dinner, oh…and before! Not even taking consideration that there’s a non-smoker (in China I was pregnant, now me and my 3 m old boy sit among stupid drunkers and inpolite smokers :unamused: ).

What is the deal with the drinking and smoking??? it is making me NUTS!
Grow up, young boys (all of them are way past 30…) and try to taste the bear, wine or whiskey instead of “buttoms up” all the time!

sigh…

I don’t remember me and my friends being like this back home. Actually I KNOW we are not.
I am way off this? Is it just me who are a little PMS??

Yep, that’s how it is!!! Welcome to Taiwan, you will soon find out that considering others isn’t a Taiwanese virtue. But thatnk god, there are many, many more plus point to living here. :wink:
Your baby is beautiful!

Just let them get shitfaced. You don’t have to do the same.

It’s no as common as before but there are still some who like to get drunk before going home.

Hehe! Cute Baby! I like babies!

I wouldn’t smoke around it (him or her) but many others wouldn’t give smoking and boozing a second thought.

Sorry, I’m not much help.

[quote=“tinster”]Hmmm…is it just me or is the Chinese/Taiwanese people extremely happy about drinking and smoking?
I’ve lived 6 months in China with my boyfriend and every other day when we’re out having dinner (usually with two or three friends/business-“friends”) they need to drink themselves drunk! Same shit happens here, the business-fellows are just replaced with their colleagues.
And they smoke during dinner - everybody of course - after dinner, oh…and before! Not even taking consideration that there’s a non-smoker (in China I was pregnant, now me and my 3 m old boy sit among stupid drunkers and inpolite smokers :unamused: ).

What is the deal with the drinking and smoking??? it is making me NUTS!
Grow up, young boys (all of them are way past 30…) and try to taste the bear, wine or whiskey instead of “buttoms up” all the time!

sigh…

I don’t remember me and my friends being like this back home. Actually I know we are not.
I am way off this? Is it just me who are a little PMS??[/quote]

Okay, your post is ridiculous. You are a grown woman, what are you doing subjecting your fetus/baby to second-hand smoke? Go home when people smoke. Stay at home if you know they are going to smoke.

Sorry, but you can’t go around bashing others without taking a little responsibility for your own stupidity. And what the hell is wrong with the father? You have a baby. That trumps both your idiotic needs to save face with the business partners.

Sitting with a 3 month old baby in a smokey room full of drunks. Great. I suppose when they ask you to let them toss the baby in the air you hand him over? :unamused:

God dammit man! I was just lying in the middle of the road minding my own business and some asshole drove right over the top of me! What is it with people? etc etc

but of course…

Darn !!

I thought this was going to be a post about why drinking and smoking are so much fun.

I like the way smokes make me feel all dizzy.

I like the way I see art everywhere when I’m drinking. If I am drinking and taking photos, I seem to think everything looks so cool and would make a great photo. Then the next day I wonder, “why did I take a photo of this?”

I agree, don’t subject your baby to smoky rooms. He’s too cute, and his lungs, heart and brain are too fragile right now. Wait until he’s a teenager, then he can try it as his choice.

jm

Mucha, Hexuan - :beer: :beatnik:

Hey Tinster…this is pretty much the way it is in the real world. Sitting in this environment while pregnant is WRONG. Bringing children into this environment is WRONG.
These are your choices to do this. Don’t blame adults who chose to do this.
I doubt that you want to subject your baby to this environment. They can’t make a decision to get outta the smoke…Thats what Mommy is for.
Be healthy and Be well. :slight_smile:

Hmm… I think most all of the Taiwanese people I know here hardly drink at all and rarely smoke except for a few of the construction worker guys that worked on my house.

Hey don’t those type of Taiwan guys that drink and smoke often with their buddies all night leave their wives at home? Maybe you shouldn’t tag along?

You must be mxing with Taiwanese that have had a lot of exposure to other cultures and/ or are further up the food chain in terms of IQ.

The one thing you hear over and over again is that the locals have
[color=red]NO CONSIDERATION[/color]
for others. Long term expats can fall into the same rutt so its not an East versus West thing. It’s a cultural battle and we are losing.

Unfortunately, many expat smokers (and there seem to be a LARGE number of them) seem to have picked up on this licentious “free to smoke anywhere” attitude and will light up in your face without asking or caring if it bothers you.

There are some, like Bu Lai En, who are exceedingly polite and will walk outside or stand several feet away before they light up. But these good folks are the exception.

There’s a lot of room for improvement all around when it comes to smoking etiquette, and I welcome the increasingly strict laws here. I will dance in the streets when the ban on smoking in public places is written into law. I expect that to happen within the decade.

Shit, try Bali. I wondered where the non-smoking section stopped and the smoking section started. Apparently the answer is “at the exits of the Ngurai Bali Airport”.

I guess that means going to Bali would be irresponsible then for a family who doesn’t want their children to be around smoke. :unamused:

So do I, but I couldn’t smoke a whole one.

Too bad smoking isn’t a little more harmful to smokers’ health. Then we could get rid of them through the process of natural selection.

Sorry to sound harsh, but there’s just nothing intelligent or wise about smoking.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]Okay, your post is ridiculous. You are a grown woman, what are you doing subjecting your fetus/baby to second-hand smoke? Go home when people smoke. Stay at home if you know they are going to smoke.

Sorry, but you can’t go around bashing others without taking a little responsibility for your own stupidity. And what the hell is wrong with the father? You have a baby. That trumps both your idiotic needs to save face with the business partners.

Sitting with a 3 month old baby in a smokey room full of drunks. Great. I suppose when they ask you to let them toss the baby in the air you hand him over? :unamused:[/quote]

Bollocks!

If you don’t like people smoking around you then ask them to stop. They don’t have a right to insist that you choose between sharing their disgusting habit and giving up a social life. Life is not a choice between staying at home and breathing second-hand smoke. Non-smokers are perfectly entitled to go out and have a good time too.

On the other hand, MM is perfectly correct. Asking people to be considerate is one thing, asking people to give up their pleasures when you’re a minority of one is a bit extreme. And if you know that people are going to be smoking then you really shouldn’t be bringing your baby.

Imposing your baby on people who may not want to share the delights of parenthood is no different from imposing your second-hand smoke on people. A pub full of babies can be as distressing as a pub full of smoke to some people. Walking into a smoke-filled room where a bunch of guys are enjoying themselves without their wives, brandishing your baby, and expecting everyone to do things your way is neither fair nor realistic.

Rather than expecting you to stay at home I would suggest that you restrict your socializing to places where you are ‘normal’. The world needs to accomodate smokers, babies, non-smokers, and others rather than telling people to go home if they don’t fit some misguided stereotype. Find others like yourself, and share your interests/values. There’s no need to be relegated to the kitchen or to expose your baby to all that unhealthy stuff.

We are reminders of a golden age, an age when a gentleman could stand at the rear of a plane, a G&T in one hand, a cig in another and prattle forth his knowledge on the benighted subjects he flew over. Where a trip to the cinema was enhanced by a smoky haze and didn’t require a fervent apologetic crab walk to the toilet like some sissy school boy. When a man could pay a gleefull coolie by tossing a bumper at his feet, or maintain a smoke-filled decorum and diginity around the dinner table. A world where deals and trust were cemented over a shared smoke and a smile.

Now we’re huddled like whores around the stairwells and basements of piss-stinking concrete buildings shared with rats and roaches. Shunned from eateries, the public, warmth and air-conditioning. Death to you health conscious fascists and all your ilk. Are you sincerely happy now? What more do you want? Get out of my Asia . . . or at least away from my table, I want to smoke in peace!!

HG

We are reminders of a golden age, an age when a gentleman could stand at the rear of a plane, a G&T in one hand, a cig in another and prattle forth his knowledge on the benighted subjects he flew over. Where a trip to the cinema was enhanced by a smoky haze and didn’t require a fervent apologetic crab walk to the toilet like some sissy school boy. When a man could pay a gleefull coolie by tossing a bumper at his feet, or maintain a smoke-filled decorum and diginity around the dinner table. A world where deals and trust were cemented over a shared smoke and a smile.

Now we’re huddled like whores around the stairwells and basements of piss-stinking concrete buildings shared with rats and roaches. Shunned from eateries, the public, warmth and air-conditioning. Death to you health conscious fascists and all your ilk. Are you sincerely happy now? What more do you want? Get out of my Asia . . . or at least away from my table, I want to smoke in peace!!

HG[/quote]
Classic post material right there! :laughing:

HG[/quote]
Classic post material right there! :laughing:[/quote]

HGC, I feel like crying. Very touching praise. And very appropriate preach.

:beer: :beatnik:

Chou

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”][…]
Now we’re huddled like whores around the stairwells and basements of piss-stinking concrete buildings shared with rats and roaches. Shunned from eateries, the public, warmth and air-conditioning.
[…][/quote]

This sounds so cruel. Here’s my solution: