Drinking distilled and reverse osmosis water

Recently I saw these ads on TV for bottled distilled water. Distilled water you use in acid-lead batteries and to make steam in irons and maybe a few other uses. I know that distilled water is absolutely not there for drinking and I was kind of surprised that they advertise it.

Anyways I did some research and came across several articles that included reverse osmosis water … it seems to have similar negatives but not as much as distilled water when used for drinking on a regular basis …

The message is not pretty and should be a warning for those that drink distilled water … I drink reverse osmosis and am planning to cut back on it or supplement my minerals …

I drank Evian for the whole of my time in Taiwan. Hahaha.

Mineral supplementation is a very good idea for most people anyway.

The old story is that prolonged use of distilled and/or RO water will ‘leach’ minerals out of your system. I cannot say that this is true or not; but due to degrading mineral content in the soils and cooking/processing foods I think its a good idea to supplement minerals for the body.

i think sweating ‘leaches’ a damn sight more minerals than drinking distilled or RO water will. there’s not so much difference between the two, by the way.

eat your veggies and fruit, chickens.

Drinking distilled water when sweating or after/during work-out would not be wise …

I sweat…therefore I am.

“Dr” Mercola is an osteopath, not a doctor. he has been repeatedly warned by the FDA for making false claims. he promotes various dietary fads with little or no evidence to support them. he claims to have investigated thousands of patients to support his controversial theories, but has never published his findings in a peer-reviewed setting (meaning they can’t be trusted to be correct). he is against vaccination and most other components of modern medicine, microwave ovens, water fluoridation, pasteurized milk, and so on, while promoting the benefits of energy medicine, ‘emotional freedom therapy’, osteopathy, vitalism, and various other unproven yet profitable alternative medicines like laser detoxification and colour therapy.

you choose.

Ok, if you want to drink ‘battery water’, go ahead … anyways, I’m not promoting the osteopath, I just think it’s not healthy to drink ‘distilled’ water, and for good reason, no matter what fads this ‘Dr.’ promotes …

Don’t tell anyone, but I heard almas john bought a whole stack of that distilled water cos he misunderstood what the distilled part really meant.

huh. now if he could just find a way to dehydrate that, so you just needed to add water when you needed some, he’d be on a right winner in the back packing and camping crowd, wouldn’t he?

and don’t bother buying this stuff if you’re easily caught by the holistic therapy stuff.

I had to persuade my sister not to believe in scams like this. Oddly, I thought with her physics degree, she would realize that magic sand or metals encased in a wand does not somehow “declump” or “ionise” water so that it makes the water special or more healthy.

magnetictherapy.co.uk/scp/MA … _WAND.html

We got a Brita a couple of weeks ago. I can taste the difference. I drink more water now.

Why? Seriously, is there some health risk?

Read the previous posts and links …

Whoops. Sorry. Got it.

So what’s the health risk?

Water poisoning … hyponatremia

It’s been a few weeks now and I’m curious to know your opinion of the Brita? Do you still think it’s a good solution to clean drinking water in Taiwan?

I just want to be able to fill it up and then drink it. If I’m really paranoid I could boil it first, and then go through the Brita - but that seems to be a lot of work.

It’s been a few weeks now and I’m curious to know your opinion of the Brita? Do you still think it’s a good solution to clean drinking water in Taiwan?

I just want to be able to fill it up and then drink it. If I’m really paranoid I could boil it first, and then go through the Brita - but that seems to be a lot of work.[/quote]
I’m sure using a Brita is way better than drinking water straight from the tap, but I remember people saying that it doesn’t remove heavy metals. Apparently heavy metal levels in water are pretty high here.

Dunno about boiling first. I assume tap water here is treated and chlorinated, which should kill some of the bugs. Not sure whether it kills them all.

Dude, I dunno what kind of what they have where you’re from, but where I come from, Chlorine is only ever used in swimming pools…
I think Chlorine is worse for you than any of the bottled stuff here, let’s just put in another scary link here pure-earth.com/chlorine.html
I dunno about how true that is, but it seems like Chlorine will give you cancer, so there you go…
I think you were thinking about fluoride which is sometimes added to tap water in certain countries.