Drinking water in Kaohsiung

What do you use for drinking water/ a home filtration option? None of the apartments I’ve seen has a filtration system? If you like bottled water, what bottled water options do you trust? I’m moving to K-town, if that factors into your suggestions (e.g. local brand availability).

Thanks!

I used to stock up on bottled water from Costco (can’t remember the brand, but I think it was Canadian) and I had an RO water filtering system installed at my kitchen sink and would use it for rinsing veggies, etc. (but I never drank it, I only drank bottled water).

you could buy a water distiller. pchome sells one. there is also a reverse osmosis kit for filtering water. i’ve seen costco sell one. you could combine the two if you want.

Be careful with bottled water too, a majority of them are simply boiled tap water. If you spell Evian backwards you get naive…

Plus I don’t know what’s so wrong with drinking RO water. If you’re really scared use a ppm meter on it or something but in general it’s really close to pure water (no more than 20ppm basically)

At a familymart I worked at a long time ago the manager admitted the cost to the store for one bottled water is 1nt. He said he loves selling them.

[quote=“chris1234”]What do you use for drinking water/ a home filtration option? None of the apartments I’ve seen has a filtration system? If you like bottled water, what bottled water options do you trust? I’m moving to K-town, if that factors into your suggestions (e.g. local brand availability).

Thanks![/quote]

My apartments have all had inline filtration but many do not. In general, I think the filtered or bottled water tastes better, but want to comment that I think the Taiwan tap water is safe to drink if that is your concern (expect a lot of negative response to that statement). I use to do a lot of international travel and have gotten really sick in some places (Turkey and South America) so am very careful about drinking the local water. Read up on Taiwan before coming and based on the official published data, Taiwan has the same public drinking water standards as the US. Neither I nor any of my colleagues have ever gotten sick here, comparing that to Turkey were everyone has for several days. In general, just drinking and using bottled water cannot protect you, you would have to avoid eating out in general (salads, fruits, …) anything washed with tap water.

Would also comment the locals are the first to tell you not to drink tap water and all that I have met use filtered water.

There are also filtered water service stations here that are very cheap, usually with a window so you can see the equipment. You put in a few coins and pump your water.

[quote=“Micahel”]
Would also comment the locals are the first to tell you not to drink tap water and all that I have met use filtered water. [/quote]

They also tell you not to flush toilet paper, and not to whistle at night because it attracts ghosts. :roflmao:

Meaningless; locals tend to do things just because without questioning it. The point of this forum and threads like this is to be a bit more “scientific”…

I will use the title of this as a great example for students of what an oxymoron is.

There is always red stuff left over in the container when the distilling is done from Taipei tap water. No idea what it is

Particulate matter, mud?